ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma legal news

okinburg1

Nov 19, 2004
My friends at 34 and Counting posted an update regarding AJ Ferrari. Highlights (lowlights?) as follows:
"DEFENDANT REQUEST A JURY TRIAL DATE. THE COURT SETS THIS CASE FOR JURY TRIAL ON SEPTEMBER 26TH 2023 9AM. THE COURT SETS FURTHER PRETRIAL FOR JULY 18TH 2023 1:30PM"
Few thoughts. First, no school will admit him as a student with a felony trial case pending, so there goes the fall semester. Second, can they find "peers" for AJ in OK to ensure a fair trial? Third, over/under on number of times AJ flexes during the legal proceedings - 3?

My friends at 34 and Counting posted an update regarding AJ Ferrari. Highlights (lowlights?) as follows:
"DEFENDANT REQUEST A JURY TRIAL DATE. THE COURT SETS THIS CASE FOR JURY TRIAL ON SEPTEMBER 26TH 2023 9AM. THE COURT SETS FURTHER PRETRIAL FOR JULY 18TH 2023 1:30PM"
Few thoughts. First, no school will admit him as a student with a felony trial case pending, so there goes the fall semester. Second, can they find "peers" for AJ in OK to ensure a fair trial? Third, over/under on number of times AJ flexes during the legal proceedings - 3?
He'll need to wear a shirt in court.

AJ’s orange OSU attire will go nicely with his new daily attire.

I'm not legal expert but what is the "PreTrial" process in July? A judge already ruled it can go to trial (I believe the girl went to police/hospital immediately and got them a DNA match, if we are to believe a picture of a SnapChat lol)

I'm not legal expert but what is the "PreTrial" process in July? A judge already ruled it can go to trial (I believe the girl went to police/hospital immediately and got them a DNA match, if we are to believe a picture of a SnapChat lol)
I know my wife gets all stressed out when she tells me she has three pre-trials due in the coming week.

He'll need a big NIL deal to pay for the legal fees.

September is still pre-season.....
September is not too late for wrestling season, but the school also needs to admit him, which no self-respecting school will do before any resolution to this case. The earliest he could be admitted to the college would be October, and that's if everything goes perfectly for him, which doesn't seem likely based on the, um, evidence. That would be too late for first semester, so the earliest he could be in school (and therefore eligible to wrestle for the school) is second semester.

We think about these guys in terms of sports, but they are also in school, too.

September is not too late for wrestling season, but the school also needs to admit him, which no self-respecting school will do before any resolution to this case. The earliest he could be admitted to the college would be October, and that's if everything goes perfectly for him, which doesn't seem likely based on the, um, evidence. That would be too late for first semester, so the earliest he could be in school (and therefore eligible to wrestle for the school) is second semester.

That is assuming everything goes according to schedule with no delays. Good luck with that AJ.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

This is how they do it in OK:

This is not good news for AJF. It suggests (1) a motivated prosecutor and (2) no palatable plea offer — i.e., the State wants a felony conviction and likely jail time.

I’d wager that the only public wrestling AJF will be seen in for the next couple of years at least will be WWE or MMA.

This is not good news for AJF. It suggests (1) a motivated prosecutor and (2) no palatable plea offer — i.e., the State wants a felony conviction and likely jail time.

I’d wager that the only public wrestling AJF will be seen in for the next couple of years at least will be WWE or MMA.
I imagine the fact he continues to go about his life (and on social media) like he still owns the world, combined with the fact there's no more intimidation or pressure from the public (since he's not an Oklahoma State athlete) on the victim to drop the case and the fact there is solid evidence can definitely motivate a prosecutor to go all out here.

Curious as to how you drew those conclusions.

I'm not familiar with legal timelines, but his trial date is 5 months away, and over a year from when he was charged. This doesn't seem prioritized.

I'm not familiar with legal timelines, but his trial date is 5 months away, and over a year from when he was charged. This doesn't seem prioritized.
Trials take a long long time, especially something like this, assuming this goes to trial. There will be a lot of back and forth. Jury selection itself can take a while until they find people in that area with no remote understanding of Oklahoma State wrestling in that area. Shawn Oakman from the day he was charged took 34 months until the trial began.

It’s government work. Five months is the blink of an eye in the real world.

A criminal defendant demanding trial at this stage of a case usually means plea negotiations broke down and the prosecutor’s last/best offer is sufficiently harsh that the defendant decides to roll the dice at trial. It also suggests the State likes the strength of its case and doesn’t feel any need to give it away cheap.

The timelines are not significant, especially when the defendant is not detained pending trial. Courts and lawyers are busy. That’s probably just the soonest the parties and court could get it on the court’s calendar.

Clearly this doesn't rule out every school :)

A criminal defendant demanding trial at this stage of a case usually means plea negotiations broke down and the prosecutor’s last/best offer is sufficiently harsh that the defendant decides to roll the dice at trial. It also suggests the State likes the strength of its case and doesn’t feel any need to give it away cheap.

The timelines are not significant, especially when the defendant is not detained pending trial. Courts and lawyers are busy. That’s probably just the soonest the parties and court could get it on the court’s calendar.
Don't be surprised if the victim decides they no longer want the ha$$le of a trial. I am guessing that AJ is confident that mom and dad will be bailing him out of trouble......they likely have prior experience doing so. Do you think the Fox/Dominion record will be broken here? :)

I briefly read thru the statute Sullivan posted above. It appears that law addresses civil litigation. See the first sentence (A) . I am damn sure not an attorney(my wife isn't either).

Don't be surprised if the victim decides they no longer want the ha$$le of a trial. I am guessing that AJ is confident that mom and dad will be bailing him out of trouble......they likely have prior experience doing so. Do you think the Fox/Dominion record will be broken here? :)
If one is to believe the social media comments, sounds like there might be a few girls perhaps coming forward with stories.

he could join the wrestling club in the interim, correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT