ADVERTISEMENT

OL/run game moving forward

919_Lion

Sep 26, 2002
Blame whatever reasons you will for the lack of progress of the OL/lack of running game.
The bottom line is that this unit is highly deficient in run blocking, period.
So.....
Where does the OL go from here?
Do players get benched, or insanity
Insanity- doing the same over and over again, yet expecting different results.
In what.....49 games into the CJF era, we have yet to see consistency in the play of the OL.
As fans, I don’t think it is too unrealistic to expect to see improvement at any position, as the season progresses.
These 5 guys have actually gotten worse, thru 9 games. I think we are all tired of run plays being blown up.

So, what trajectory does the OL take moving forward?

Few thoughts:
1. MSU offensive line today younger than PSU.
2. Franklin comment post game stated less finesse ahead. Pregame comment was we must run between tackles. When you can’t do that with best RB around, why keep trying?
3. Ran CB on 2 sweeps early in 2nd half. Both successful, 1 +25 yds. Never called again.
4. For those thinking offensive coordinator leaving, not so fast. Stock not rising any more. More negative plays this year than all but a handful of D1 schools. Not going to get an upper tier P5 offer.

Few thoughts:
1. MSU offensive line today younger than PSU.
2. Franklin comment post game stated less finesse ahead. Pregame comment was we must run between tackles. When you can’t do that with best RB around, why keep trying?
3. Ran CB on 2 sweeps early in 2nd half. Both successful, 1 +25 yds. Never called again.
4. For those thinking offensive coordinator leaving, not so fast. Stock not rising any more. More negative plays this year than all but a handful of D1 schools. Not going to get an upper tier P5 offer.
We have the 2nd most negative plays out of 130 teams.

Our line is big and slow and not strong. They can't move and get to the 2nd level. Not one of them. So all this talk in the off-season about them being the most improved position was just air...and I think JF trying to build their confidence because he knew they were lousy. If u can't move and can't get a push, you have what we have...a garbage running game and short yardage offense. Usually a line can do one or the other, if not both. We can't do either, move well or be physical

Blame whatever reasons you will for the lack of progress of the OL/lack of running game.
So.....
In what.....49 games into the CJF era, we have yet to see consistency in the play of the OL.
As fans, I don’t think it is too unrealistic to expect to see improvement at any position, as the season progresses.
These 5 guys have actually gotten worse, thru 9 games. I think we are all tired of run plays being blown up.

I don't think it gets better until we have a scheme that matches the potential of our linemen. Teams like Wisconsin and Iowa have recognized this and get the most out of their linemen. Our skill guys are much better than those teams so in my view we're needlessly shooting ourselves in the foot by getting complicated with the blocking schemes. (I think that was also the complaint with Donovan's offense.) We can beat weaker teams because they can't stay with our receivers, or stay with Barkley. Without those guys we'd be in a dogfight with the Akrons, Temples, and Pitts of the world.

Frankly, when I saw JoMo's system played by PSU for the first time it was a letdown. And the flaw I saw back then hasn't changed in two years. The QB and RB are way too static for too long on too many plays. And it isn't the least bit up-tempo. It's simply no-huddle.

I did not see the whole MSU game because my recording timed-out, but what I did see made me not want to watch it anyway. MSU would blow up our OL, grab hold of our receivers, or both. So many hurried passes and no-calls in the secondary. Holds were subtle and just enough to slow receivers on a slow field, or even cause the receiver to fall (yielding an interception for MSU).

Football is being corrupted by subjective officiating just like basketball got corrupted. It's a gradual process that in time normalizes breaking the rules.

Sometimes we benefit from blown calls, but too often we get beat because the other team was better at finding that subjective line in the sand. In this game the score was 24-24 early in the 4th, and I really didn't care that I missed the ending. I could sense that MSU was playing a smarter game and would probably win.

It isn't all about the Jimmy and Joes. A team full of prima donnas is a team that doesn't show up every week. (See OSU.)

I feel for our players. They deserve a better performance from those in strategic control of the game.

So.....

Its all line coaching and development! It’s not going to change in 1 week

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT