ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ole Miss too much for shorthanded Penn State to handle as Lions fall 38-25

Why? This doesn't even make sense.
Or do you want Beau to be the guy next year? I mean, if you want Drew run off that's fine
Just a ridiculous hypothetical, but still a hypothetical that I will use to see if I can get what you are saying about JF.

...if Fifita from Arizona or Jalen Milroe said in the offseason, "Hey, James, I'll come play for a small NIL amount b/c I have always loved PSU and want to be on the team," you think JF would still be partial to Drew? If so, then he has no business running a program like PSU. I would take both of those guys in a flash over Drew.

The O has zero identity. Allar needs someone to calm him down or something. There is no rhythm or consistency on anything. It’s just a shitshow.

This defense looks really shaky. Missing Manny.

Missing our top 2 corners more than anything. Even the opt ins are seceding snaps. This is our 2nd string defense vs a pretty good offense. Considering the offense has been very little help, this is not a bad thing.

And the fact that dart is decisive and puts the ball on the money to his receivers

The quick slants and predetermined sideline throws are tough to defend, but Dart's accuracy makes them back breaking.

Reactions: johnmpsu
It should be clear now that it wasn’t Yurchichs complete fault. Allar is a total stiff and should be benched in the second half. I’m sick of his lame mopey attitude.

Reactions: PAgeologist
With better pass coverage it would be a shutout. The pass rush has been relentless and if their QB had to hold it another 1/2 second every pass play he'd be in the hospital by now. I'd say that's the difference........

And right on queue the secondary leaves their TE wide open to walk in for a TD.....
PSU leaves their CBs in single coverage. Maybe not a great idea when you're missing both starting CBs, starting DE, and now Carter.

To be clear, in an attempt to win a bowl game you want to sit Allar and encourage him to leave because our staff has failed to adapt the offense to Drew because Beau complete a pass (that was late and underthrown) on a play he didn't have to read a defense?
If you actually watched the games except just say the opposite of everyone you would see the offense is built for his style. I love Allar and watched him in high school but this team offensive plan is not built for him. They have no wr that can get open and the slow handoffs are built for running qb. They need to change next season or he should leave. He’s not gaining anything by playing in this game

Reactions: johnmpsu
Just a ridiculous hypothetical, but still a hypothetical that I will use to see if I can get what you are saying about JF.

...if Fifita from Arizona or Jalen Milroe said in the offseason, "Hey, James, I'll come play for a small NIL amount b/c I have always loved PSU and want to be on the team," you think JF would still be partial to Drew? If so, then he has no business running a program like PSU. I would take both of those guys in a flash over Drew.
I would take both of them over Drew
I'm not playing Beau over Drew to risk losing him without one of them committing first

Am I correct that—-

-no Cephus this far. Is he on the sideline
-KLS IS playing?
-Jacob’s did come in til Carter went out?

PSU leaves their CBs in single coverage. Maybe not a great idea when you're missing both starting CBs, starting DE, and now Carter.
Carter had his helmet on on the sidelines to hopefully he is ready to go for the 2nd half.....

Reactions: bdgan
The O has zero identity. Allar needs someone to calm him down or something. There is no rhythm or consistency on anything. It’s just a shitshow.
There are no open WRs. This offense is better than the coaching. It is an indictment on Hagens that we,have no WR go to in this game.

What are they supposed to do though? They played this defense all year where they put CBs on an island and got after the QB. Even with the bowl break, it’s not like you can simply install a whole new defense.

If you actually watched the games except just say the opposite of everyone you would see the offense is built for his style. I love Allar and watched him in high school but this team offensive plan is not built for him. They have no wr that can get open and the slow handoffs are built for running qb. They need to change next season or he should leave. He’s not gaining anything by playing in this game
We agree the offense isn't suited for him--who's fault is that?
He needs reps. We all know that. The entire purpose (IMO) of this game is to prepare for next year and, to do so, you want to sit your sophomore QB that started all year because the coaches can't create a gameplan because Beau hit Singleton when he was essentially uncovered (he beat his guy by 8-10 yards).

At least we agree he should leave if the scheme isn't altered to fit him. Franklin honestly should have been fired simply for not building an offense around his QB. You never ask the QB to adapt--you adapt to fit them. He did the same with Hack.

I fell like every big game this season has come down to a simple calculation:

Drew Allar. Just not good enough.

Reactions: scrivener
Allar pulled a Hackenberg on the screen.

Awful. Really unacceptable at this point.

Yeah, he's spinning those touch passes like he's got a bet on how fast it arrives. Must be why they took the bubble screen out of the playbook. Have we seen it since he skipped it off the turf?

If we had an OC calling that last,series he would be candidate to FIRE

Allar should have kept the 2nd zone read. The OC didn't throw the 97 mph fastball to a seldom used RB less than 10 yards away did he?

Reactions: GregInPitt
A one game sample size surely isn't enough data to make an evaluation, but this secondary will be heavily tested in 2024 and beyond with the additions of the pac 12 teams. This conference currently has like 2.5 teams that can actually throw the ball. Moving forward, that will change dramatically. This secondary will need even better development than its current state.

Reactions: GregInPitt
This team is just so poorly coached, rushing on second down when Ole Miss was content to let the clock run and then touching down the punt when a couple more seconds could have run off. It’s the little things that our venerable CEO misses.
Absolutely, what a bonehead play to give Miss. a few more seconds to score!!

Reactions: zubrus1
I would take both of them over Drew
I'm not playing Beau over Drew to risk losing him without one of them committing first
Well, for sure no doubt. I'm asking if JF would do that...and I seriously doubt he would take them. It's a friendship camp at Lasch, not a championship mentality.

As I said at the beginning of the year Allar plays stiff just never been sold on him

Lane Kiffin had it right. This is a chess match. So far he is beating what appears to be a PSU defensive weakness -- the secondary. When they play against big, tall, strong receivers they get beat. In zone coverage they look lost. Diaz will be missed.

I think the secondary benefitted greatly by playing against quarterbacks that had no time, i.e., our DE rushing. As he said in his interview, Kiffin said they had to get the ball out quickly. They are doing that. His downfield patterns are not slow-developing, and they can win one-on-ones.

Franklin needs to take a page out of the Kiffin playbook. He needs what Ole Miss already has in the passing game -- the receivers and plays that work. For this game Franklin needs to mix in a few short passes to keep Ole Miss honest, but otherwise run the football. Franklin needs to get over this idea that he can stretch the field with the deep ball. It's just not happening. Our longest play was in fact after the catch, and usually there is enough pressure on Allar to make the play inaccurate, even intercepted.

Well, for sure no doubt. I'm asking if JF would do that...and I seriously doubt he would take them. It's a friendship camp at Lasch, not a championship mentality.
I mean, if there's a coach in the country that wouldn't drop their QB for Fifita I'd be shocked. Especially since you'd have him for 2 years

Penn State needs to run the football. Ole Miss is having trouble stopping the run game and it also keeps the Ole Miss fast paced offense on the sideline. PSU needs to run to give their defense some rest. PSU recieves 2nd half KO and needs to work the run game with Allen to start the 2nd half.

I count 17 WRs on the roster...and not one is remotely consistent or even a reliable threat. That is absolutely unacceptable for a program of our caliber.

A one game sample size surely isn't enough data to make an evaluation, but this secondary will be heavily tested in 2024 and beyond with the additions of the pac 12 teams. This conference currently has like 2.5 teams that can actually throw the ball. Moving forward, that will change dramatically. This secondary will need even better development than its current state.
The bowl practices and the performance in this game will help Franklin prioritize positions for the transfer portal to use the what seems pretty limited number of scholarships available. WR and likely an experienced, physical CB seem to be at the top with any other position way down the list..... But I'm still more positive about the CB's on the roster and on the way (Mitchell and Belgrave-shorter) than I am with the WR's........

Reactions: scrivener

Issac and Jacobs are playing limited snaps as well as Carter and Kobe getting dinged. Van Der Berg has even been in a bunch. It's our 2nd string defense.

I'm OK with the CB play. Dart is beating them with accuracy and strong WR play. They aren't out of position and looking bad. Just a #1 WR beating a #4 and #5 CB. It's great work for them and will only make them better for '24.

Reactions: RickinDayton
There are no open WRs. This offense is better than the coaching. It is an indictment on Hagens that we,have no WR go to in this game.
Have KLS, Cephas, or Evans played?

For the life of me I don't know why they seldom use Singleton in the pass game.

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT