ADVERTISEMENT

OT - 25 Years Ago Today - Hurricane Andrew...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
...SoFla was actually lucky it was a fast moving wind storm and wasn't further north. I went w/ a friend down to Homestead to help his Mother. The guy grew up there and couldn't find his street, as every recognizable landmark was gone. Now the street names are painted on the curbs.

Hurricane-Andrew-radar-jpg_774838_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Anyone that doubts the power of the wind, well...

5c3318437.jpg

andrew-damage.jpg

Reactions: PSU87
Also probably the most beautiful looking storm we've seen in our lifetimes. Looks like a machine at full power.

Hurricane2.jpg

Have a friend who lives (and still does) in South Miami, about 10 miles south of what used to be the Orange Bowl. He still shudders at the thought of Andrew and the devastation it caused.

The only storms that have affected me was Agnes in 1972, when I was a kid living in Middletown, Pa and the Susquehanna flooded, and Superstorm Sandy, in 2012. I was out of the path of destruction in that one, (only lost some flashing) but when I drove east about 25 miles - could see the destruction.

He still shudders at the thought of Andrew and the devastation it caused.
Understandable. I can't imagine 170 mph sustained winds w/ gusts up to whatever broke the wind gauges. Luckily it was a very fast moving storm. My worst experiences have been slow storms w/ 100 mph winds for hours and hours. Mentally exhausting when that happens.

Houston might get hammered by Harvey. Sounds like it's strengthening, but might squat over the city and dump insane amounts of rain.

Houston might get hammered by Harvey. Sounds like it's strengthening, but might squat over the city and dump insane amounts of rain.
Bastardi is hinting at 2 landfalls, one at Corpus Christi, then after a few days of soaking, a loop back into the Gulf and another landfall near TX/LA border. Probably a strong Cat 3 at initial landfall.

I'm supposed to be driving to Galveston to take my daughter back to Med School there Saturday. School starts Monday. Not certain what the plan is so far. May be driving her there late Sunday to miss it, if possible. Not looking to driving through Houston in any rain accumulation

Have a friend who lives (and still does) in South Miami, about 10 miles south of what used to be the Orange Bowl. He still shudders at the thought of Andrew and the devastation it caused.

The only storms that have affected me was Agnes in 1972, when I was a kid living in Middletown, Pa and the Susquehanna flooded, and Superstorm Sandy, in 2012. I was out of the path of destruction in that one, (only lost some flashing) but when I drove east about 25 miles - could see the destruction.

I remember Agnes in 1972. Lived away from landfall up in NW PA at the time but despite that it rained uninterrupted for what seemed to be a month. Almost ruined our summer vacation.

...SoFla was actually lucky it was a fast moving wind storm and wasn't further north. I went w/ a friend down to Homestead to help his Mother. The guy grew up there and couldn't find his street, as every recognizable landmark was gone. Now the street names are painted on the curbs.

Hurricane-Andrew-radar-jpg_774838_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Anyone that doubts the power of the wind, well...

5c3318437.jpg

andrew-damage.jpg
I remember driving through that December on the way to the Keys. There's that spot in Homestead where the Turnpike is elevated right before it ends.
Even though it was several months later, as far as you could see it looked like your last picture. Couldn't see a house standing for at least a mile.

Reactions: MtNittany
I think it was Hurricane Andrew that forced a boat so far inlands at the top of the Keys, that it's still there and there is no way to get it out (save a helicopter I think). If I take the FlaTPK to Homestead and continue south on 1, it is about 4 miles after the end of the Turnpike on the right, about 250 yards.

I lived through Agnes in Hummelstown...we musta been neighbors!

Those in the path of this current storm - get out now or you will probably regret it.

8iwgqwM.png

Reactions: T J
I remember Agnes in 1972. Lived away from landfall up in NW PA at the time but despite that it rained uninterrupted for what seemed to be a month. Almost ruined our summer vacation.

I also lived in NW PA in 1972, but we missed the storm as we were out west on vacation (and just missed being caught up in the Rapid City flood a week prior to Agnes). I was in Guam when Andrew hit SoFla. During the two years I was there, 1991-1993, we were hit by seven typhoons.

A few hit head on, eye and all, including Omar, a "supertyphoon" (same as a Cat V hurricane) with one-minute winds of 150 mph. We were fortunate to only get brushed by Yuri (1-minute winds of 175 mph). Omar did nearly a half billion dollars in damage, and Guam is built to withstand storms way better than anywhere on the U.S. mainland.

By comparison, Andrew had sustained winds of 165 mph. I knew a bunch of people stationed in Homestead at the time, and like MtNittany's friend, couldn't figure out where their homes had been.

Done w/ eye wall replacement. Ramping up quickly. This is a really bad storm.

zzkeFoQ.jpg

Done w/ eye wall replacement. Ramping up quickly. This is a really bad storm.

zzkeFoQ.jpg

The issue with this storm isn't even really the storm itself, but the storm track. It's the fact it's going to make landfall and basically stop and sit over south Texas for a couple days

at201709_5day.gif

Harvey upgraded to Cat 3. Now at 120 mph. Moving fast at 10mph, but will slow down soon.

Looks like the 12 year streak of no major hurricane hitting the U.S. will be over early tomorrow morning.

I believe this has a decent chance of being upgraded again to a Cat 4 before landfall. The winds, pressure, surge, and rain are going to be a handful for coastal TX. Prayers up.

Last edited:

4,324 day major hurricane drought to end as Harvey reaches Cat 3, making landfall soon

From NHC:

Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 125 mph (205 km/h) with higher gusts. Harvey is a category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some additional strengthening is possible before Harvey makes landfall overnight. Weakening is then expected over the weekend while the center moves inland over Texas.

Harvey is expected to strengthen further, according to NHC, and

that storm making landfall as a Category 3 will end the “major hurricane drought” we have been experiencing in the USA.

It is now 4,324 days since Category 3 Hurricane Wilmamade landfall in Florida on October 24th, 2005.

harvey-eye-fulton.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT