ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Canadian music

The British Mt. Rushmore is absolutely indisputable.
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
The Who
That’s funny, my British Mt Rushmore is also indisputable.

Stones
Beatles
Zeppelin
Queen
Pink Floyd would follow closely.

As for USA, I would agree with what Jefe said and raise you the Eagles, Doors, CCR, Diana Ross, Chicago, and Stevie Wonder.

Prince is somewhere down the line from there, probably even past America, the Grass Roots, and Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus. ;)

Just goes to show you different tastes and rating systems (and ages....).

For all the times I've been to Las Vegas, I have yet to see a single Prince impersonator.

I'd also put Van Halen, Tom Petty, and Michael Jackson ahead of Prince. Maybe (probably) more.

BTW, putting Prince on any list probably just earned you a lifetime ban from any future @smalls103 content.
Smalls is best when he stays in his lane. His music and beer opinions are questionable at best.

Reactions: 12bflying
That’s funny, my British Mt Rushmore is also indisputable.

Stones
Beatles
Zeppelin
Queen
Pink Floyd would follow closely.

As for USA, I would agree with what Jefe said and raise you the Eagles, Doors, CCR, Diana Ross, Chicago, and Stevie Wonder.

Prince is somewhere down the line from there, probably even past America, the Grass Roots, and Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus. ;)

Just goes to show you different tastes and rating systems (and ages....).
Fair on Stevie Wonder…I could put him in over Prince. However, I love Queen but they’re not in the same league as The Who.

ZZ Top belongs up there too, and so does Queens of the Stone Age -- incredibly wide range of songs and so precise with all of them.

Prince was great if you were trying to meet girls in the 1990s.

The US always had an edge on groundbreaking solo acts while the Brits had a series of amazing bands, but CCR from about 68 to 71 was about as good a band as any that ever existed. And I say this as a massive Led Zep fan (my favorite).

You can put up CCRs list of singles from 68-71 with any band ever - for me I could listen to Lodi, Long as I Can See the Light, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Wrote a song for Everyone and Who’ll Stop the Rain until I die. Each one about 3-4 minutes - no pretension, no time wasted - perfect American music

I’ve been convinced to have Stevie Wonder replace Prince in the Mt. Rushmore. However, the above is Exhibit A for Prince’s case. You can practically hear seasoned musicians like Petty and Lynne’s jaws hitting the ground as they gape in amazement during Prince’s solo.

Last edited:
The US always had an edge on groundbreaking solo acts while the Brits had a series of amazing bands, but CCR from about 68 to 71 was about as good a band as any that ever existed. And I say this as a massive Led Zep fan (my favorite).

You can put up CCRs list of singles from 68-71 with any band ever - for me I could listen to Lodi, Long as I Can See the Light, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Wrote a song for Everyone and Who’ll Stop the Rain until I die. Each one about 3-4 minutes - no pretension, no time wasted - perfect American music
I grew up listening to CCR as they were my Dad's favorite band. Interesting fact is they had zero Billboard #1 individual songs in the U.S., but they did have five #2's, which included nine in the top ten. One of my favorites of theirs that doesn't get mentioned much is Ramble Tamble from the album, Cosmo's Factory. The nearly four-minute instrumental transition in the middle of the song is amazing. I also love Keep On Chooglin'.

Reactions: NittanyChris

I’ve been convinced to have Stevie Wonder replace Prince in the Mt. Rushmore. However, the above is Exhibit A for Prince’s case. You can practically hear seasoned musicians like Petty and Lynne’s jaws hitting the ground as they gape in amazement during Prince’s solo.
That really was phenomenal. Too bad SRV wasn't Canadian or I would include a clip of his live version of Voodoo Child, but I know how disciplined this Board is in making sure we stick to the original topic.

Have always loved CCR and still don’t think Fogerty gets the credit he deserves as an all-time great songwriter.

We will never agree on the Stones, but Prince was a virtuoso and deserves his spot in the final 4.

everyone gonna have a diff picks depends on who you like!half rock and roll hall of fame should be booted!
This is the only song by them I know, and that is due to it being in Ice Age. I can't help but smile imagining Willie dancing around (maybe with headgear) with the band in the video : )

Reactions: smalls103
Ok, just for the sake of discussion…USA vs Canadian Mt. Rushmore:

USA:
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Prince
Jimi Hendrix
(Eff Elvis, he was purely derivative & you could say The Beach Boys, but not my style)

Canada:
Neil Young
The Band
Rush
Joni Mitchell

Pretty damn competitive, I’d say.
stop smoking crack

Me: Prince sucks
Every Prince Stan: posts Prince playing someone else's music

he's discography sucks. he produced temporal pop junk.

amazingly talented musician. forgettable catalogue.

it's as if some people cant differentiate between musician and artist.

Metallica was better. as are a million US bands.

Nittany Chris is currently doing the Molly Ringwald dressed in lingerie listening to Raspberry Beret
Smalls: Rusted Root > Prince.

Love your wrestling knowledge my man, but if that’s your judgment of music, we just agree to disagree.

You don't have to be rich to be my girl

How have none of you knuckledraggers mentioned Creed, yet?

New Radicals "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" Is th cult classic you're all looking for.

I must admit, I saw Prince, along with The Time (featuring Morris Day) and Vanity 6 perform at the old Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. The 1999 Tour in 1983 (backhalf of Sophomore Year). Tickets were less than $12, and it wasn't sold out. I remember driving four of us that evening.

The Minneapolis Sound, they were calling it. Not everyone's cup of tea. It was good fun vibe type party music, and a fine fit for me at that age.

Personally, at 61 now, I find much of Prince's sound somewhat derivative of The Brothers Johnson, and much prefer "Strawberry Letter 23." They may've been one of Prince's inspirations. No doubt, Prince was a talented musician and showman.

greatest Canadian band well to me its not even close THE GUESS WHO AND NEIL YOUNG WITH CRAZY HORSE!it all depends on your musical taste!

OT to the OT thread, but here is Ghost Riders in the Sky at Roberts Western World in Nashville, one of the OG Nashville bars before all the celebrity bars started popping up. And you can get a PBR, bag of chips, and a fried bologna sandwich for $6!

Reactions: CropDuster507
You don't have to be rich to be my girl

How have none of you knuckledraggers mentioned Creed, yet?

New Radicals "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" Is th cult classic you're all looking for.
offhand I forgot the guy who started NewRadicals but that one album was very good!

That really cuts like a knife.
Been that way since :
ab67616d0000b273a7c2127d9252b4138d4e4120

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT