ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Closing ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cringiest moment was when the announcer just blurted out: “The French are SO COOL!” While the piano man came up from the ground.

Ummm ok.

Reactions: psu00 and johnmpsu
Proud to say that I haven't watch a second of this Olympics. Have zero interest. I would have loved to have watched Brooks and a few others, but the Olympic committee chose to not make it about the best athletes in the world with multiple unnecessary controversies. You have the very best athletes on the planet. How do you screw that up?

Proud to say that I haven't watch a second of this Olympics. Have zero interest. I would have loved to have watched Brooks and a few others, but the Olympic committee chose to not make it about the best athletes in the world with multiple unnecessary controversies. You have the very best athletes on the planet. How do you screw that up?
You missed 2 weeks of great sports. Pathetic

Same here. After the blasphemous mockery of Christianity in the ugly, grotesque opening ceremony, I was out.

Oh, did we win the medal count?? Yay!!

But losing our country and the values it's stood for is a bad trade for a bunch of tin medals.

However, I'm still eagerly looking forward to college football in a few weeks.

Honestly I'm not sure what good not watching the Olympics does if you're boycotting because of the opening ceremony but you're still justified and its respectable assuming you don't believe it will create change.

I really don’t care what you do but this had no reflection on the athlete and most people get tired of your bitching
A lot of the athletes were annoying too though lol...that's always been the but social media just makes it worse

I really don’t care what you do but this had no reflection on the athlete and most people get tired of your bitching
Apparently, you do care at least enough to have posted several times now about it and to be throwing around descriptions like "pathetic".

You want to know what some may find to be pathetic? To be triggered enough by something to call others pathetic and post several times trying to control other's actions that have no bearing on you. Then to claim that you really don't care- like we can't read the several posts that you just made above obviously caring.

Same here. After the blasphemous mockery of Christianity in the ugly, grotesque opening ceremony, I was out.

Oh, did we win the medal count?? Yay!!

But losing our country and the values it's stood for is a bad trade for a bunch of tin medals.

However, I'm still eagerly looking forward to college football in a few weeks.

I'm with you.

LA better up its game for 2028. Their part of the closing ceremony was pretty blah IMO.

LOL these MAGA have excluded themselves from every part of society at this point. They can't watch sports, can't watch movies or shows, can't go to most stores, can't use most new technology, can't read the newspaper, can't watch most any local or national news, etc. They're becoming the angry, weird version of the Amish.

Uhhh, France isn't our country.

giphy.gif

Reactions: knickslions
LOL these MAGA have excluded themselves from every part of society at this point. They can't watch sports, can't watch movies or shows, can't go to most stores, can't use most new technology, can't read the newspaper, can't watch most any local or national news, etc. They're becoming the angry, weird version of the Amish.
What a ridiculous comment.

LA better up its game for 2028. Their part of the closing ceremony was pretty blah IMO.
It was nice seeing Dr Dre back - I was wondering how much they were going to censor “the Next Episode”. Europe may do cheese well, but, England excluded, their music is brutal. LA will bring it in that respect

It’s the new norm in all sports. The hard work, dedication and ability to overcome adversity really makes the Olympics special.
I for one thoroughly enjoyed watching the Olympics. Loved swimming, track & field and gymnastics especially and of course watching us get the Gold medal in men's basketball. How great and clutch was Steph Curry? Then he kind of gives the pro French crowd the business after he hit all his daggers! Love it!

I also enjoyed seeing all the families supporting their athletes and cheering them on.

I don't really follow any of these sports closely but when it is the U.S. competing on the biggest global stage it makes it very exciting and fun to watch and follow.

Loved the fact that Penn Staters did so well.

My co-MVPs of the games were Katie Ledecky and Simone Biles. I also want to give a shout out to Cole Hocker who ran one hell of a race in the 1500 meter run to take Gold for the U. S. in an event we typically are not a factor in. And the women's 4 x 100 meter medley relay swimming team getting the Gold, setting a world record and clinching the most number of gold medals in swimming for the U.S. over the Aussies, 8 vs 7!

Last edited:
What a ridiculous comment.
Have that guy on ignore because he's 1) dishonest and 2) makes everything political. For some reason on this board, you are allowed to post directly political attacks if you lean one way without any consequences but if you are merely known to have the opposite political leanings from the days when the test board was free, then you will be threatened to be banned for posts that aren't political but could trigger those that are.

I for one thoroughly enjoyed watching the Olympics. Loved swimming, track & field and gymnastics especially and of course watching us get the Gold medal in men's basketball. How great and clutch was Steph Curry? Then he kind of gives the pro French crowd the business after he hit all his daggers! Love it!

I also enjoyed seeing all the families supporting their athletes and cheering them on.

I don't really follow any of these sports closely but when it is the U.S. competing on the biggest global stage it makes it very exciting and fun to watch and follow.

My co-MVPs of the games were Katie Ledecky and Simone Biles. I also want to give a shout out to Cole Hocker who ran one hell of a race in the 1500 meter run to take Gold for the U. S. in an event we typically are not a factor in. And the women's 4 x 100 meter medley relay swimming team getting the Gold, setting a world record and clinching the most number of gold medals in swimming for the U.S. over the Aussies, 8 vs 7!
This Olympics really was quite exciting and enjoyable. Many of the sports came down to the thinnest margins—Curry going crazy at the end of the game was legendary. Haha yeah and it seemed like every sport there was a Penn Stater involved.

Have that guy on ignore because he's 1) dishonest and 2) makes everything political. For some reason on this board, you are allowed to post directly political attacks if you lean one way without any consequences but if you are merely known to have the opposite political leanings from the days when the test board was free, then you will be threatened to be banned for posts that aren't political but could trigger those that are.
I merely respond to this guy’s weird political rantings. He doesn’t like when people post charts and facts and stuff that disputes what he’s saying so he puts them on ignore! 😆

The ioc is a corrupt organization and I've given up on the Olympics near thirty years now. The reasons are corruption and one time it was the coverage not featuring different events. I liked if you'd like to track and field in the Olympic weightlifting for example it was shoved aside for other events. There was too much placed under the human interest angle, which I do not care about I just want to see the events.

Then we have the nonsense going on. It was just a bridge too far. I was planning on watching events I favor on Peacock, but I just boycott it. Course it doesn't matter to them because I'm still subscribing to the station, but I don't wanna bother. It's hard to understand might not patronize specific reason.

Penn State football this year? I'm done with it. I just don't care anymore with all the changes in college football. It's not what I grew up with. I don't enjoy it as much and I'm not gonna patronize it. I'm still gonna watch the Nittany Lions wrestle because they are dominant.

College sports or any specific program is not owed my allegiance.

It’s the new norm in all sports. The hard work, dedication and ability to overcome adversity really makes the Olympics special.
That is the worst angle forever and it killed sports. Everyone has to have some story instead of just playing games. I could handle a little background, but I don't care how hard someone has to train. But the very nature of making it to the highest level, overcoming adversity, obstacles, injuries, and other things in your way is par for the course.

And sheep like you just keep repeating the same BS spoon fed to you by the Dems and their sycophants in the MSM. I bet you believe that the same person who won the same number of electorates in the 2020 Dem primary as I did, dropped out with a 3% approval rate, covered Biden’s mental incompetency for years, failed as border czar and everything else as VP, is suddenly the second coming because that’s what you are told. You folks are becoming the people Orwell wrote about but was only off by 40 years.

And sheep like you just keep repeating the same BS spoon fed to you by the Dems and their sycophants in the MSM. I bet you believe that the same person who won the same number of electorates in the 2020 Dem primary as I did, dropped out with a 3% approval rate, covered Biden’s mental incompetency for years, failed as border czar and everything else as VP, is suddenly the second coming because that’s what you are told. You folks are becoming the people Orwell wrote about but was only off by 40 years.
Well said. The Dems and the worthless media covered up for a demented old fool for four years and no one cares. And they didn't care until the same old fool was getting crushed in the polls. This cover-up should be a massive story and the Dems should be held accountable, and I'm not even talking about the horrendous job they've done across the board, but their pathetic voting base only knows maga. Smh.

Attack of the boring aliens.

Weird isn't necessarily entertaining.
Calgary in '88 did it best.
I feel like viewers need to be able to separate sports from entertainment. In this case, the fantastic competition has nothing to do with the ridiculous "art" associated with the opening and closing ceremonies. I didn't watch either but did catch clips. It reminds me of the way overdone presentation of the Lombardi Trophy where old players walk the trophy is while people reach out and touch it like it was the golden calf and cured incurable diseases or something. It also brings back thoughts of complaints about in-game music at PSU games. NBA & NHL games are horrific with their music for someone who just wants to watch a sporting event.

Regardless, I have always loved the Olympics. I have great appreciation for being the best in the world. I especially like watching sports that the USA hasn't always appreciated like synchronized diving, ping pong, badminton, and break dancing. For example, I really wonder about the logic of making break dancing an Olympic sport but the athleticism of the finalists was off-the-charts.

And for the record, I have no problem with people pushing back on the blasphemy. You can't allow people to push you around lest you always be pushed. But the opening and closing ceremonies are just entertainment. It is not competition. It is just a bunch of people who get together and decide how to create content wrapped about the best sporting event in the world so that they can sell more ad time.

But there are bright spots. Mr. Bean playing Chariots of Fire at the London opening is one of the funniest bits ever. (really starts up at about 00:50)

You want some cheese with that wine.

Reactions: Vic Vaselino
My favorite part was two men boxing in the women’s division for a gold medal.
My second favorite part was a non-binary person competing in the women’s shot put competition. One of the commentators apparently misgendered it as a woman. Go figure.

Oh well, another obituary post…
Rest in Peace 🪦

Reactions: Jerry
I feel like viewers need to be able to separate sports from entertainment. In this case, the fantastic competition has nothing to do with the ridiculous "art" associated with the opening and closing ceremonies. I didn't watch either but did catch clips. It reminds me of the way overdone presentation of the Lombardi Trophy where old players walk the trophy is while people reach out and touch it like it was the golden calf and cured incurable diseases or something. It also brings back thoughts of complaints about in-game music at PSU games. NBA & NHL games are horrific with their music for someone who just wants to watch a sporting event.

Regardless, I have always loved the Olympics. I have great appreciation for being the best in the world. I especially like watching sports that the USA hasn't always appreciated like synchronized diving, ping pong, badminton, and break dancing. For example, I really wonder about the logic of making break dancing an Olympic sport but the athleticism of the finalists was off-the-charts.

And for the record, I have no problem with people pushing back on the blasphemy. You can't allow people to push you around lest you always be pushed. But the opening and closing ceremonies are just entertainment. It is not competition. It is just a bunch of people who get together and decide how to create content wrapped about the best sporting event in the world so that they can sell more ad time.

But there are bright spots. Mr. Bean playing Chariots of Fire at the London opening is one of the funniest bits ever. (really starts up at about 00:50)

I enjoyed the Olympic games more when it was played by amateurs and I cheered for the U.S. to beat the Soviet Union.

I think the music at sporting events is great. I just don't like sporting events to promote political or socially controversial issues.

I don't like all of the sports they've added. 5 different cycling events, 3 on 3 basketball, break dancing, rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, and trampoline to name a few. They're adding 5 more for 2028 including flag football and cricket (which is only played in a couple of countries). We have 4 or 5 TV channels covering the Olympics but hardly get to see some major events because of the distraction caused by the minor events.

I don't really mind table tennis and badminton because a lot of people play those around the world. I was entertained by how fast guys went up the rock climbing wall but I can only watch something like that for so long. It should go.

I find it amusing how many people don’t watch sports but yet post all day on a sports message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT