ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Closing ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the Olympic games more when it was played by amateurs and I cheered for the U.S. to beat the Soviet Union.

I think the music at sporting events is great. I just don't like sporting events to promote political or socially controversial issues.

I don't like all of the sports they've added. 5 different cycling events, 3 on 3 basketball, break dancing, rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, and trampoline to name a few. They're adding 5 more for 2028 including flag football and cricket (which is only played in a couple of countries). We have 4 or 5 TV channels covering the Olympics but hardly get to see some major events because of the distraction caused by the minor events.

I don't really mind table tennis and badminton because a lot of people play those around the world. I was entertained by how fast guys went up the rock climbing wall but I can only watch something like that for so long. It should go.
I don't disagree but anytime you get more than 3 people involved in anything it becomes political. And I've got no problem with them adding all kinds of sports. I don't have to watch it. Hulu had three full-time channels so if you didn't like the main channel, you had two others. But I will say I appreciated all of it and got a huge laugh out of the Brazilian break dancing (who clearly had no clue what she was doing and I could have done just as well).

I am reminded of the time I sat next to a very good singer. She called herself a "torch song" singer who just got gigs at bars during happy hour to sing. I said I didn't know how she did it as everyone was on their own agenda, talking, ordering, and not paying attention. She said it bugged her at first but she realized she was singing for herself. It was her art. Her expression. If others enjoyed it, that was great. If not, so be it. She'll do it in her basement. I think these athletes are the same way. For the most part, they have to lock out the noise and distractions. 99% of sports is the preparation. These sudden heroes who participate in the long jump and javelin are really complete unknown and prepare in almost complete obscurity. They'll get their 15 minutes and be forgotten.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I find it amusing how many people don’t watch sports but yet post all day on a sports message board.
LOL. Well, I played 18 holes yesterday. I had no power from 3:30 Tuesday until Friday night around 8pm. Before that, I had a conference I attended in Baltimore on Saturday ~ Tuesday. People are busy. But a lot of this stuff you can watch on highlight posted on several outlets. There is so much going on coverage it is like a drive-by shooting. For example, on one of the men's relays (4x400 or 4x100) one of the favorites to win stopped during their second leg. The US won, they showed them celebrate, congratulated the other team, rang the bell, went to other sports, and came back to the medal ceremony and anthem. I never heard a peep as to why the favorite stopped. There is so much going on, so much to cover, and of course, they have to self congradulate. I mean, Snoop Dog was fine but to suggest that he was some kind of star with his commentary was nuts. But that is what TV does.

I enjoyed the Olympic games more when it was played by amateurs and I cheered for the U.S. to beat the Soviet Union.

I think the music at sporting events is great. I just don't like sporting events to promote political or socially controversial issues.

I don't like all of the sports they've added. 5 different cycling events, 3 on 3 basketball, break dancing, rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, and trampoline to name a few. They're adding 5 more for 2028 including flag football and cricket (which is only played in a couple of countries). We have 4 or 5 TV channels covering the Olympics but hardly get to see some major events because of the distraction caused by the minor events.

I don't really mind table tennis and badminton because a lot of people play those around the world. I was entertained by how fast guys went up the rock climbing wall but I can only watch something like that for so long. It should go.
Cricket? They tried baseball so why not Cricket? Ever seen the long list of countries that wrestle?

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I feel like viewers need to be able to separate sports from entertainment. In this case, the fantastic competition has nothing to do with the ridiculous "art" associated with the opening and closing ceremonies. I didn't watch either but did catch clips. It reminds me of the way overdone presentation of the Lombardi Trophy where old players walk the trophy is while people reach out and touch it like it was the golden calf and cured incurable diseases or something. It also brings back thoughts of complaints about in-game music at PSU games. NBA & NHL games are horrific with their music for someone who just wants to watch a sporting event.

Regardless, I have always loved the Olympics. I have great appreciation for being the best in the world. I especially like watching sports that the USA hasn't always appreciated like synchronized diving, ping pong, badminton, and break dancing. For example, I really wonder about the logic of making break dancing an Olympic sport but the athleticism of the finalists was off-the-charts.

And for the record, I have no problem with people pushing back on the blasphemy. You can't allow people to push you around lest you always be pushed. But the opening and closing ceremonies are just entertainment. It is not competition. It is just a bunch of people who get together and decide how to create content wrapped about the best sporting event in the world so that they can sell more ad time.

But there are bright spots. Mr. Bean playing Chariots of Fire at the London opening is one of the funniest bits ever. (really starts up at about 00:50)

Please don't get me wrong. I love the competition in spite of NBC and the worst sound design in history. Fortunately you were able to get the schedule of events and record what you want. Ive got a whole bunch of table tennis on the DVR.
I just think the opening and closing ceremonies have gotten ridiculous. Super elaborate and super weird but also not entertaining. Like I said, the Calgary games did it right. It would be nice if LA did it that way but it won't.

Please don't get me wrong. I love the competition in spite of NBC and the worst sound design in history. Fortunately you were able to get the schedule of events and record what you want. Ive got a whole bunch of table tennis on the DVR.
I just think the opening and closing ceremonies have gotten ridiculous. Super elaborate and super weird but also not entertaining. Like I said, the Calgary games did it right. It would be nice if LA did it that way but it won't.

Rhythmic gymnastics and artistic (synchronized) swimming have been in the games since 1984, so not new sports.

Cricket is massively popular in a lot of the world - Caribbean, India, other Commonwealth countries. Baseball had a shot, so why not cricket. None of the named sports are my cup of tea, but there are a lot of people in the world who don’t like golf and tennis.

And the Olympics were never truly amateur- we competed with 1 hand tied behind our back due to some Western European elitist view of sport while the eastern bloc were essentially paid professionals (paid by the state).

Rhythmic gymnastics and artistic (synchronized) swimming have been in the games since 1984, so not new sports.

Cricket is massively popular in a lot of the world - Caribbean, India, other Commonwealth countries. Baseball had a shot, so why not cricket. None of the named sports are my cup of tea, but there are a lot of people in the world who don’t like golf and tennis.

And the Olympics were never truly amateur- we competed with 1 hand tied behind our back due to some Western European elitist view of sport while the eastern bloc were essentially paid professionals (paid by the state).
I think Cricket is on the slate for 2028 in LA. One issue is the size of the teams and the length of the games. Baseball was just too much of a logistical problem as well as being in the middle of the regular baseball season.

LOL. Well, I played 18 holes yesterday. I had no power from 3:30 Tuesday until Friday night around 8pm. Before that, I had a conference I attended in Baltimore on Saturday ~ Tuesday. People are busy. But a lot of this stuff you can watch on highlight posted on several outlets. There is so much going on coverage it is like a drive-by shooting. For example, on one of the men's relays (4x400 or 4x100) one of the favorites to win stopped during their second leg. The US won, they showed them celebrate, congratulated the other team, rang the bell, went to other sports, and came back to the medal ceremony and anthem. I never heard a peep as to why the favorite stopped. There is so much going on, so much to cover, and of course, they have to self congradulate. I mean, Snoop Dog was fine but to suggest that he was some kind of star with his commentary was nuts. But that is what TV does.
One thing was missing the events live while working you still got to see them at night in prime time. Just had to stay off internet so you didn’t ruin it. It will be nice in LA timing wise for east coast people.

Reactions: Obliviax
Uhhh, France isn't our country.

giphy.gif

No, but the corruption and decadence on display in the anti-Christian opening ceremony is fully representative of the ideology of the West's ruling elites...to include the ones in our own country. I mean, you didn't hear any statements of protest or complaint from their mouths, did you?

Hell, no. On the contrary, their media propaganda tools did the customary gaslighting. Do you think that would have been the response if this grotesque insult had been aimed at any group other than Christians?

The point is, the Olympics as an institution, like seemingly every other institution, is now in thrall to Wokeist ideology. Look no further than the gold medal in "women's boxing" being won by a biological male after he had pummeled an actual female into tears.

Look, I don't hold the athletes responsible for what happened in the opening ceremony nor do I begrudge anyone their ability to tune out the politics and enjoy the competition. But I can no longer do the same. In the immortal words of Popeye the Sailor Man: That's all I can stands...I can't stands no more.

No, but the corruption and decadence on display in the anti-Christian opening ceremony is fully representative of the ideology of the West's ruling elites...to include the ones in our own country. I mean, you didn't hear any statements of protest or complaint from their mouths, did you?

Hell, no. On the contrary, their media propaganda tools did the customary gaslighting. Do you think that would have been the response if this grotesque insult had been aimed at any group other than Christians?

The point is, the Olympics as an institution, like seemingly every other institution, is now in thrall to Wokeist ideology. Look no further than the gold medal in "women's boxing" being won by a biological male after he had pummeled an actual female into tears.

Look, I don't hold the athletes responsible for what happened in the opening ceremony nor do I begrudge anyone their ability to tune out the politics and enjoy the competition. But I can no longer do the same. In the immortal words of Popeye the Sailor Man: That's all I can stands...I can't stands no more.

I've got no problem with them adding all kinds of sports. I don't have to watch it. Hulu had three full-time channels so if you didn't like the main channel, you had two others.
I have youtubetv and they had about 4 channels broadcasting various events. I certainly wasn't watching around the clock but I saw very little wresting, no boxing, and almost nothing about the decathalon.

Did you miss Raygun?

raygun-breakdancing-olympics-mc-240809-04-0c83a6.jpg
that was actually hilarious. Brazil paid for her trip. But she reminded me of "Eddie the Eagle" (ski jumping) and the Jamaican Bobsled team. Honestly, she applied and was able to have an Olympic experience. Good for her. What did Snoop Dog have to say about it?

Exactly - the largest country by population - or soon to be, India, is mad for cricket.

It’s also starting to become more popular here because of the rising # of Indian immigrants
Funny story. A group of executives from our company attended a meeting at one of our UK subsidiaries a number of years back. The UK group thought it would be fun to introduce us to cricket. We played Americans against British. There were only a few athletes on each team. Many were not at all athletic (chemists, biologists, engineers). The Americans who had never played the sport and didn't even understand the rules beat the British handily. The best athlete on the UK team was a young soccer player and he got hit by the ball and fractured his orbital bone. He had to leave the game early which was likely a big contributor to the American win.

P.S. One of the players for the American team was an engineer from India. He didn't have an athletic bone in his body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT