ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Do any of you actually listen to podcasts?

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
They are so pervasive now. It's here, all the other sites, in every interest area. I guess it's just easier to record a discussion than actually writing an article. But I simply won't listen 95% of the time. I don't have an extra hour or 2 to listen to nearly anything. It's a pet peeve of mine (just kidding), but seriously, I won't listen.

I do not, but I guy I know listens to so many of them that he actually listens to them at double speed so he can try to hear all of them on his trip from home to work and back

I've listened to, like, maybe two. One I really liked. But for the most part, I am too much of a naysayer and walk away thinking 'what is this person talking about?"

The one I liked was from Brene Brown on The Power of Vulnerability. I figured it was a housewife talking about some yoga, feely, hallmark channel thingy. It was really about being able to embrace your weaknesses and vulnerabilities and use this to become stronger and better.

But listening to Bill Gates (I know too much), David Blane and Tony Robbins makes we want to take a shower afterward.

I listen to quite a few. On road trips, we listen to Crime Junkies. They cover cold cases from around the country.

There are some good PSU-related ones as well - especially in season. I usually have these on when I'm doing something else, so I'll pick up bits and pieces.

I also listen to Joe Rogan when there's a guest that's interesting. Rogan's are a commitment - usually 2-3 hours. Dan Gable's (on Rogan) was actually a painful one to get through, but Rogan is an interesting guy and a really good interviewer that keeps things moving along.

I'm told that the analytics say they should be 20 mins or less to keep the listener's attention - and that seems realistic. I also listen to some at double-speed.

They are so pervasive now. It's here, all the other sites, in every interest area. I guess it's just easier to record a discussion than actually writing an article. But I simply won't listen 95% of the time. I don't have an extra hour or 2 to listen to nearly anything. It's a pet peeve of mine (just kidding), but seriously, I won't listen.
Obviously somebody does. Joe Rogan is huge. I've heard that Tucker Carlson could make more money doing a podcast than he did while at Fox. I guess you can listen in your car via bluetooth just like people listen to talk radio.

I find them invaluable for commuting, road trips, and working out.

I listen to a travel podcast, a few college sports podcasts, and just started a Breaking Bad podcast where the guys are doing an entire rewatch.

Only on long trips solo. It’s basically traditional talk radio available on demand.

I drive about four hours a day for work so I have about 6-8 podcasts I listen to. It's my preferred entertainment choice over the radio when I'm driving.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I would rather read articles. Just not a big pod cast guy.

Reactions: MacNit07
Mike Rowe has an grest podcast with excellent guests. We listen when on road trips.

I love podcasts. I usually rotate given the seasons. I have a couple sixers podcasts I listen to during basketball season (Ringer & Rights to Ricky Sanchez), a couple college football ones I listen to during football season (Cover3, Late Kick with Josh Pate, & Lions 247), some general sports (Bill Simmons & Ryen Russilo), some random stuff (Real Narcos, Short History, The Fighter & the Kid), and some work related IT podcast (I won’t lost those because I don’t want anyone drifting off the road from boredom). I drive 3 hours a day for work so it’s a good for passing time.

Podcast fill the space and time that AM radio used to fill before people had choices. Driving, mowing, manual labor, grocery shopping - you learn something or laugh or both. My go to podcasts are Mike Rowe, How I Built This, and Smartless. All very different- all very fun and educational.

Picking the topic is a huge plus
It is a huge plus. In a prior professional life back in the day I drove all around the state to support our different sites and podcasts would have served me well back then to have so much different content to have a true rotation. Instead I rotated between all the same crap on espn radio and conservative talk radio. It all got old as the acts never changed. I remember all of them, mike and mike (recurring macho vs nerd theme), colin cowterd (sec fan club and an ego), limbaugh (another ego), beck (the world is ending, buy gold), hannity (long island guy sucking up to southerners).

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Yes...download to your phone. Listen on demand when driving, walking the dog, working in the yard, etc. Long form interviews are so much more interesting than 3minute segments on TV. Spotify is a free app for your phone and you can download about any podcast (and tons of music) for free. Think of it like streaming but for talk radio
I once agreed with you, but after trying a few on a road trip, I changed my tune. From a "News/Current events" perspective, the Corporate media is killing itself. Podcasts offer a wide variety of sources in a format that doesn't include yelling and slogans. Aside from that, there's an endless array of topics.

-Rogan is good. His guests are so varied that I only want to listen to a small percentage and it's not overwhelming.
-Broken Record is really good. Rick Rubin, Malcolm Gladwell interviewing great music guests
-Modern Wisdom is really good. Brit who moved to Austin. Lots of interesting topics. One of the top podcasts
-Jordan Petersen is really good, especially if you like logic and evidence based analysis of topics.
-Megyn Kelly is good for daily current events/news
Rogan talks about Breaking Points with Krystal and Sager for news analysis. I've listened to a few.
-One of the first big podcasts was Serial. Season one is about a HS kid in Baltimore that got convicted of murdering his ex, but maintains his innocence. Season 2 is called 'S-town' (aka sh*t town). I highly recommend it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT