ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Do you remember these defunct restaurant chains?

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
Taken from USA Today. Of the 30 named, I recall patronizing 12 of them. Who can beat that?
1. Sandy's
2. Pioneer Chicken
3. Red Barn
4. Claudia Sander's
5. Rax Roast Beef
6. Wetson's
7. Carrol's
8. A&W
9. D'Lites
10. Pop 'N' Taco
11. Henry's
12. Druther's
13. Naugles
14. Charlie Brown's Steakhouse
15. Ponderosa/Bonanza Steakhouses
16. Bennigan's
17. Bob's Big Boy
18. Mr. Steak
19. Burger Chef
20. Gino's
21. Valle's Steak House
22. Steak and Ale
23. Lum's
24. Chi-Chi's
25. White Tower
26. All-American Burger
27. Minnie Pearl's Chicken
28. Kenny Roger's Roasters
29. Sambo's
30. Howard Johnson's

Reactions: JJTopp99
14 total. FWIW one of the best performing Chi-Chi's was in Huntington wv, they solved that problem, tore it down, marked it down as the progress of man.
did I mention a member of the planing committee also owned a Mexican restaurant in town.

5, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22, 24, 25, 30

I will add Winky's.

1a21e23ca708de4d9e10f5b2c4afdbdd.jpg

Taken from USA Today. Of the 30 named, I recall patronizing 12 of them. Who can beat that?

I 've eaten in the following:

3. Red Barn
8. A&W (was in State College at University Drive and S Atherton St)
16. Bennigan's
17. Bob's Big Boy
24. Chi-Chi's
30. Howard Johnson's

8, 15, and 24. born in 87. No clue on any of the others. The only one that rings a bell other than 3 I mentioned is 22, but I believe I am mistaking it with another restaurant

Lum's had great chili dogs. As kids, we always ate at the one in Paxtang near John Harris HS the night before our annual trip to the shore. Song remains the same and I spent many a post sporting event at Red Barn in Palmyra. Steak and ale at Union Deposit shopping center was the go to "fancy" place to take a date in hIgh school.

Lum's had great chili dogs. As kids, we always ate at the one in Paxtang near John Harris HS the night before our annual trip to the shore. Song remains the same and I spent many a post sporting event at Red Barn in Palmyra. Steak and ale at Union Deposit shopping center was the go to "fancy" place to take a date in hIgh school.
Steak&Ale and Bennigan's were owned by the same company.

CF Lion or anyone else, what kind of car is that pictured at Winky's . Looks like a late 60's model, maybe 68, but I don't know what make. Chevy Nova?

Howard Johnsons ice cream was a standard turnpike stop during my youth. Also known for clam chowder baked beans I believe. Chef Pepin actually began his career working at one.

Is Arthur Treacher’s still around? There used to be one in Danville.

There used to be an Arthur Treachers at a rest stop on I95 between Baltimore and Philly. Was so excited when I saw it on my way to the Temple game in Philly in 2007. Got an order of fish and chips at 9:00 am and then stopped again after the game on out way back to Baltimore. Not as good as it was in the stand alone store but pretty good

I remember:

3. Red Barn
8. A&W
16. Bennigan's
17. Bob's Big Boy
19. Burger Chef
20. Gino's
21. Valle's Steak House
24. Chi-Chi's
25. White Tower
29. Sambo's
30. Howard Johnson's

My all time favorite ice cream place is Swenson's. The interior was reminiscent of a bygone era with tall tin roof ceilings, marble counters/fountains...
There was one in Allentown but closed on 9/10/91 (the very day my son was born - wife and I went there on their last day before she went into labor)

There are still some franchise locations around the globe and one out in California and Miami. But most of the shops in this country all closed. What I wouldn't give to have some Swiss Orange Chip ice cream. The best. (sorry Berkeys)

Big Boy, A&W and Ponderosa/Bonanza are still around.

I have heard of and been to 16 out of the 30.

11 and as some have posted, A&W restaurants are still around....I have one not far from my house.

Arthur Treacher dancing with Shirley Temple, in what looks like a modern colorized version with song word subtitles, for the old black and white movie - "The Little Princess" in 1939.

Treacher often played a butler,
who when surprised would say,
"My word!"

you-can-t-have-everything-arthur-treacher-1937.jpg

Bio - Arthur Veary Treacher was an English film and stage actor active from the 1920s to the 1960s, and known for playing English stereotypes, especially butler and manservant roles, such as the P.G. Wodehouse valet character Jeeves and the kind butler Andrews opposite Shirley Temple in Heidi.

In the 1960s, he became well-known on American television as an announcer/sidekick to talk show host Merv Griffin. He lent his name to the Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips chain of restaurants.

Bennigansis still around and growing I might add.

The glory days of Bennigans the first neighborhood bar and grill. Kicked everyone’s ass before the ceo was a scumbag. Most ceos today were gms and managers at bennigans and steak and ale. Same company under pilsbury then metro bought them and ran them into the ground. Nothing touched us not Applebee’s not Fridays not Ruby’s then they were sold! Many went to start new concepts called Boston chicken and Outback. Many others just took a side step to Friday’s and Applebee’s

Reactions: Cosmos
5, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22, 24, 25, 30

I will add Winky's.

1a21e23ca708de4d9e10f5b2c4afdbdd.jpg
"Winky's makes you happy to be hungry"! They had a very distinctive building design and their owners insisted on CLEAN restaurants. They owned the Jiffy Steak Company in Sewickley and got into the burger business because one of their clients in Virginia was buying HUGE amounts of meat. It was one of them new McDonald's franchises! The one that survived the longest was right across the street from Washington High School. The kids kept that place in business.

77371dd1b45938d6e822c15263a67d57--places-to-visit-s-style.jpg

Only 10:
5. Rax Roast Beef
8. A&W
16. Bennigan's
17. Bob's Big Boy
19. Burger Chef
20. Gino's
24. Chi-Chi's
25. White Tower
30. Howard Johnson's

1. Sandy's
2. Pioneer Chicken
3. Red Barn
4. Claudia Sander's
5. Rax Roast Beef
6. Wetson's
7. Carrol's
8. A&W
9. D'Lites
10. Pop 'N' Taco
11. Henry's
12. Druther's
13. Naugles
16. Bennigan's
17. Bob's Big Boy
18. Mr. Steak
19. Burger Chef
20. Gino's
21. Valle's Steak House
22. Steak and Ale
23. Lum's
24. Chi-Chi's
25. White Tower
26. All-American Burger
29. Sambo's
30. Howard Johnson's
There still are some A&Ws around the country, but just a few.

1. Sandy's
2. Pioneer Chicken
3. Red Barn
4. Claudia Sander's
5. Rax Roast Beef
6. Wetson's
7. Carrol's
8. A&W
9. D'Lites
10. Pop 'N' Taco
11. Henry's
12. Druther's
13. Naugles
16. Bennigan's
17. Bob's Big Boy
18. Mr. Steak
19. Burger Chef
20. Gino's
21. Valle's Steak House
22. Steak and Ale
23. Lum's
24. Chi-Chi's
25. White Tower
26. All-American Burger
29. Sambo's
30. Howard Johnson's
Believe it or not, a new Bennigan’s opened up last year in Melbourne, FL.

1. Sandy's No
2. Pioneer Chicken, preferred it to KFC
3. Red Barn, bad burgers
4. Claudia Sander's no
5. Rax Roast Beef, favorite stop on way to tahoe
6. Wetson's, no
7. Carrol's, no
8. A&W They still exist out her in ca
9. D'Lites no
10. Pop 'N' Taco
11. Henry's. no
12. Druther's no
13. Naugles,yes but never ate there
14. Charlie Brown's Steakhouse, no
15. Ponderosa/Bonanza Steakhouses, yes
16. Bennigan's. one still exists in santa clara
17. Bob's Big Boy, yummy
18. Mr. Steak, bad steak but I was too young to know
19. Burger Chef. mp
20. Gino's. no
21. Valle's Steak House no
22. Steak and Ale no
23. Lum's no
24. Chi-Chi's no
25. White Tower no
26. All-American Burger, Fast Times at Ridgemont High
27. Minnie Pearl's Chicken, no
28. Kenny Roger's Roasters, only saw in carlisle
29. Sambo's, think one still exists in santa barbara
30. Howard Johnson's
, yes

I googled Sambo's to see what was up with that and I somehow found a MUCH MORE racially offensive restaurant chain.

C___ Chicken Inn. So racist they had to shut it down in the 50s! My goodness even I'm bit offended. Wow. The logo!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT