ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ford Edge had a Oil

First time, so they say. Tech said he must of hand spun it and got distracted and never tightened it with filter wrench.
There was no light until a second before engine shut off.

First time, so they say. Tech said he must of hand spun it and got distracted and never tightened it with filter wrench.

Great news. Quick question: was the filter still on its threading or did it fall off completely?

Thing must have been hemorrhaging oil for the light to click on just before the engine quit. And by the sounds of it the engine didn't shut off automatically it grenaded....

My wife had a similar issue at jiffy lube. She declined a transmission oil change but apparently they started draining it before asking and then just put the plug back in. The automatic transmission wasn’t shifting right because it was low in oil. She only drove home and then back to jiffy lube the next morning, but jiffy lube tried denying it. Eventually they agreed to doing a transmission flush and change at their cost, but never admitted to partially draining. They also gave some coupons for free oil changes, but who wants to go back there again.

I once had a guy at a jiffy lube tell me my oil pan plug needed rethreaded or something like that. On a 2-yr old truck. I said "no thanks" and haven't gone to jiffy lube since.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I once had a guy at a jiffy lube tell me my oil pan plug needed rethreaded or something like that. On a 2-yr old truck. I said "no thanks" and haven't gone to jiffy lube since.

Even if so, why would you rethread something that would cost $2-3 to replace?

The only way that should ever need to be done is if someone cross threaded the plug and pan or over tightened the plug and stripped the threads.

Reactions: Nitt1300
If the plug needed rethreaded so did the oil pan.

The only way that should ever need to be done is if someone cross threaded the plug and pan or over tightened the plug and stripped the threads.

Correct. Over torquing and/or cross threading will strip the pan threads, which is why it's not a good idea to use an impact wrench when removing or replacing the plug. Plug threads can get damaged if they are somehow mashed after being removed, but that takes a special kind of talent.

Correct. Over torquing and/or cross threading will strip the pan threads, which is why it's not a good idea to use an impact wrench when removing or replacing the plug. Plug threads can get damaged if they are somehow mashed after being removed, but that takes a special kind of talent.
If I ever see a mechanic using an impact wrench on my oil plug, shit will hit the fan. There shouldn't be any reason to do that. Ever.

Reactions: Cosmos and WDLion
Change at a Ford dealer 3 weeks ago,my wife was driving home Saturday and oil light came on and car just died that quickly. Took it to my mechanic,said oil filter was not tight and all the oil came out and the engine is dead. I called the dealer and they came to get the car to look at it.What do you thing will happen or what are my options.

Sorry to hear. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. My mother had a Buick. The only people to lay a wrench on it was the dealer who sold it to her. She planned a trip from PA to VA. Took it to the dealer before the trip to have it checked out as a precaution. To make sure it was "road ready." Dealer advised her she needed an electronic tune-up. She consents. So they do the work to include installing new AC Delco (GM) spark plugs. On the way down to VA one of the plugs blew. Damaged the engine. She and my aunt were stranded on the road somewhere in West Virginia. Got assistance from AAA. Had the car towed to a GM dealer at their destination in VA. It costs $3.5K to repair. She paid it. She and my aunt flew back to PA. I flew up to VA, retrieved the car and drove it back to PA. The car ran swimmingly. She and I went to the original dealer who did the work. They refused to reimburse her for the repairs. If it was my car I would've come unglued, but I didn't want to make a scene.

Be prepared. Good luck!

If I ever see a mechanic using an impact wrench on my oil plug, shit will hit the fan. There shouldn't be any reason to do that. Ever.

Exactly! If they don't hand-tighten it you should tear them a new @sshole and never go there again.

Think it all depends on the dealer/mechanic. Down here in south Florida many friends have had nothing but problems and issues when using a local mechanics. Many times having to take the car back a 2nd time to get it fixed right or the old while fixing this I found this and suddenly there repair bill is $1,200. When I moved down here years ago I took note of that and tried using a dealer which I hadn't done in a very long time. I have had zero problems with the dealer. Fixed correct the first time and I find their hourly rate not over the top. Plus they walk you out into the repair shop with the car on the lift to show you everything that needs to be repaired like brakes/rotors etc and get your approval before starting. They also give me a free loaner since I bought the car there. Until I have a reason to switch I am staying with this dealer for now.

^^ I can't argue that. My wife's got a Acura MDX. Nobody has laid a wrench on her except the dealer who sold it. That said, not dealers are created equal and not all car makes are equal.

Yep, I had a "mechanic" at Walmart over tighten the oil plug and strip the thread on the oil pan of one of my cars some years ago. But what should I have expected from a "mechanic" making minimum wages. I had the oil pan replaced after the tap "fix" didn't last.

That's why I now either change it my self (rarely), or go to the dealer I have dealt with for some time.....

Yep, I had a "mechanic" at Walmart over tighten the oil plug and strip the thread on the oil pan of one of my cars some years ago. But what should I have expected from a "mechanic" making minimum wages. I had the oil pan replaced after the tap "fix" didn't last.

That's why I now either change it my self (rarely), or go to the dealer I have dealt with for some time.....
I rank something like that up there with cross threading a tire stud cause the mechanic is too lazy or stupid to start the lugs by hand first.

I rank something like that up there with cross threading a tire stud cause the mechanic is too lazy or stupid to start the lugs by hand first.

Yep, and from my experience much more likely at Walmart than at a reputable dealer....

Last edited:
Reactions: PAgeologist
They ought to call those joints "Iffy Lube"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT