ADVERTISEMENT

OT Golf: Victory at Winged Foot: A Hackers Tale

PennSt19

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2006
Millheim, pa
Rocked my best Penn State collared shirt and Nittany lion Driver head cover, even got a we are at the bar,

On Monday I had the honor and privilege to play Winged Foot Golf Club’s famous West Course. Thanks to my wife’s good nature and no vacations planned this year, she green-lighted me playing in the New York Athletic Clubs annual fund raising tournament. The day started at 5:45 AM as I drove through the giant black iron gates and up the road through parts of the east course to the club house. I was the first car in the parking lot for the 6:15 check in. Glad I was early as the sun came up just over the tree tops and the club house was lite by the first rays of sun like the opening to a motion picture. I checked in, collected my free gifts and proceeded to the range.

I was the first person on the range completely alone with course prep going on in the distance. Little Titleist golf bags filled to the brim with proV1’s with the Winged Foot logo. After sending 40 or so down range and chipping 20 more I headed over to the practice green and got my first taste of Winged Foot’s greens. The green was relatively flat but absolutely perfect; not one blade out of place. After 30 minutes I felt like I had the speeds dialed in. What a fool I was.

I headed back to the club house for some breakfast and was introduced to my teammates as I was a single. My playing partners all work together, so I was a little afraid of being the outsider but they were really nice and I quickly become one of the guys. We all had about the same HCP. I was down to 12.9 but really play to 14 most of the year. The others guys were 11, 16 and 20 so we all had about the same skill level which was nice.

Met up with my caddie Juan as we walked to number 3 to start. Juan is 20 year veteran in the caddie corp and provided great reads and tips all day. He was the best. As we walked out I got a great look at the course. Simply put perfect, fairways like greens, greens perfect to the blade of grass. I started thinking of the players that walked these fairways: Jones, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods, and Mickelson.

Just about that time the horror of playing a round there hit as I pulled a 5 iron from my bag on the par 3 third hole. I drew back and got it airborne, a slight pull short right, not too bad an opening shot. Little pitch and putt right? Pitched up and promptly rolled 20 feet into a bunker, after all was said and done an opening triple bogey 6. Split the fairway on the par 4 forth and 3 putted my way to a second 6. Settled down by the par 5, 5th made bogey and stopped the bleeding. At this point we are all talking about the amazing speed and undulations of the greens at which point one of the caddies turns slowly looks at us dead in the eyes and says, “It’s Winged Foot” and slowly walked away.

By the 6th hole I hit my stride and knocked one pin high for a two putt par. Things got even better when hit my tee shot on the par 3, 7th to 17 feet and two putted for par. Best 7 Iron I hit all year dead at the middle of the green from 163 just pure. Back to back pars had me fired up, but a 3 putt double on the 8th put that out. At this point it was in the 90’s outside and very humid. The sun broke free of the clouds and the greens dried out and sped up. We asked the caddie about the green speeds and he said they run between 12 and 14 on the stimpmeter depending on the day. I took a deep breath and prayed to keep the ball below the hole.

Number 9 is beautiful hole with a more stunning view than the 18th and perhaps I should have stopped looking as I carded a 7. As we made the turn #10 was dead ahead and just a Hogan said it is a 3 iron into some guys bedroom window. The pin was tucked far back left 4 paces on, bunker in front. I hit the purest 4 hybrid of my life. Dead on from contact, tracking the whole way, Silence from all as it descended. The ball hit 1 foot short of the green just 5 paces from the cup dead on and sticks right there, no jump. Terrible stances, chip on, 2 putt for 4, Just 1 foot from what could have been.

I had one of my best ball striking days this summer. Hit 6 of 14 fairways and was in the 1st cut on 6 more. Getting the ball on, below the hole or first off on the green is the hard part. The West is a 2nd shot golf course, plenty of room off the tee. Easily navigated tee to green then the fun starts; I hit 5 or 6 greens in regulation making 3 pars. The green complexes on the west are like nothing I have ever seen. The highlight of the back 9 for me was the par 5 12th. I actually had 15 foot birdie putt, from above the hole. I got it close took 5 and moved on. It was a good comeback after the double on the 11th. Three putted the 13th for 4 after hitting the green in regulation on the par 3.

Went 7,5,5,6 over the next 4 and next thing I know we are on 18. Split the fairway had 210 to the front 225 to the pin, came up short left about 10 yards. One of my playing partners hit a wedge from 110, hit about ¼ of the way on and the ball rolled 30 yards back into the fairway no back spin. The 18th green is nuts, words cannot described. Pitched my ball to 8 feet, two putted for 5 and ran off the green. Asked my caddie about the Jones putt from the 29 US open, he showed me the spot and the pin. I have no idea how any human made that putt. As I walked to number one for our last two holes I counted up the back 9 and shot a 47. Not too bad and knew if I could just make double or better over the last 2 I could break 100. Finished 5 and 5 to card a front 9 48 and 95. Not one lost ball or penalty, just 38 putts, not good. It felt like 62 as we walked back to the club house and sat down for lunch. Sad it was over, soaked in sweet, tired, hurting, beat up, but 7.1 miles never was so much fun. If someone said hey you want to play the east I would have grabbed 10 waters and said, “hell yes, I will die trying!”

The tournament itself was an afterthought to be honest. We tallied the score, handed in the card and went on a shopping spree in the pro shop. On the way back walked through the locker room, two stories, wood benches, old school lockers just great. To think of the players that were in that room, amazing. We got back to the porch for the winners announcement and all of a sudden they call our names. Low net 1st place, we walk up get these 10 pound crystal trophies, 1st place Winged Foot Golf Club NYAC Tournament. Even though it was net it was just a thrill to hear your name called at Winged Foot to win anything golf related. It was magical. Most of the morning players had left when our foursome and the gross winner’s foursome sat in Nib’s bar having beers for 2 hours. Trading stories and looking at the walls filled with past champions at the club. Hallways with the Major Champions pictures, Bobby Jones score card from ‘29, Irwin’s win at the Massacre, soaking it all in. I did not want to leave.

As I got in my car to drive home all I could do was smile. Could not wait to go home kiss my wife say thank you and hug my kids. What an amazing day it was.

Quick notes:

Winged Foot is not a country club, it is a golf club. Nothing on the grounds, in the club house, in bar, anywhere is anything but pure golf. Pure and simple if golf is a religion, it is practiced, cherished, and honored at Winged Foot. The staff and members were friendly and welcoming. The NYAC ran a first class event, perfect to the tee. I am also glad my money went to a great charity and amateur athletics. Many will argue that being exclusive is a fault of Winged Foot, but I disagree as the exclusivity adds to the magic and wonder. For in the end Winged Foot is nothing short of one of the great kingdoms of the golfing world.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News