ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How much do you tip a bartender for giving you a beer

OmniscientFan

Feb 24, 2005
Ended up sitting at a bar last night and having three beers. When it was time to cash out, I paid the bill and left a 3 dollar tip. Buck for each beer. For some reason I felt cheap.

So my question is if you go to the bar and get a beer what is a respectable tip?

Ended up sitting at a bar last night and having three beers. When it was time to cash out, I paid the bill and left a 3 dollar tip. Buck for each beer. For some reason I felt cheap.

So my question is if you go to the bar and get a beer what is a respectable tip?
For a guy bartender, the $3 was fine. If it was a good-looking gal, I would have tipped $5. But, I'm sexist.

I occasionally hang out at our local breweries and tip $1 for a $5- $7 glass of beer. Seems reasonable for the amount of time and service required.

For me, this depends. If I'm paying cash as I go, I tip $1 per beer. If I'm running a tab (which is more common), I'll tip 20% (or more) on the total check. The latter is almost always more money because it's hard to find beers for under $5 where I live.

If someone made me a complicated drink (i.e. more than two ingredients) and I was paying cash, I'd probably tip $2 instead of $1.

But if they are pulling a handle or popping a bottle cap, there's nothing wrong with $1.

If they spent more time with you answering questions about what beer you might like, or gave you some free tastes of beer to help you make a choice, you might throw a little extra in there for the effort.

Usually $1 is fine. It really depends though. If the place is really busy and I want to get the second and third round quicker, I will tip more. Or if it is a small brewery that undercharges for their product, I've been known to leave up to 100% tip.

Reactions: AtownLion
Usually $1 per drink, unless it's a pretty expensive craft cocktail sort of place where I might go higher.

I usually tip a bartender $1. However, a barmaid I will tip $2.

Around the holiday's I'll tip a bartender $2 and a barmaid $3. That's my limit.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Usually $1 is fine. It really depends though. If the place is really busy and I want to get the second and third round quicker, I will tip more. Or if it is a small brewery that undercharges for their product, I've been known to leave up to 100% tip.
This reminded me of my spring break trip to Ft. Lauderdale my senior year at PSU (1985). Before leaving for Florida a fraternity brother (who went the previous year) told me if I went to one of those all you can eat/drink for $10 places to make sure I tipped the bartender for the first drink. The bar of course was packed and it took me awhile to get up there and ordered a gin and tonic (it was also suggested to get hard alcohol over beer) and tipped the guy $5. His eyes got big because none of the other cheap college students were tipping at all and he said THANKS! When going up for my next one the bartender pointed over four rows deep of patrons and said "Gin and tonic, right?". I said yeah and he handed one over some ticked off students. I easily got twice as many drinks as everyone else for my $5 investment.

I made sure to thank my fraternity brother upon returning and never forgot that experience. So I guess the lesson learned is to tip good early!? ;)

This reminded me of my spring break trip to Ft. Lauderdale my senior year at PSU (1985). Before leaving for Florida a fraternity brother (who went the previous year) told me if I went to one of those all you can eat/drink for $10 places to make sure I tipped the bartender for the first drink. The bar of course was packed and it took me awhile to get up there and ordered a gin and tonic (it was also suggested to get hard alcohol over beer) and tipped the guy $5. His eyes got big because none of the other cheap college students were tipping at all and he said THANKS! When going up for my next one the bartender pointed over four rows deep of patrons and said "Gin and tonic, right?". I said yeah and he handed one over some ticked off students. I easily got twice as many drinks as everyone else for my $5 investment.

I made sure to thank my fraternity brother upon returning and never forgot that experience. So I guess the lesson learned is to tip good early!? ;)
I did this once at a wedding, except the bartender interpreted this as "Please pour me triples" rather than "please serve me first". It was an interesting evening...

I am amazed at how few people tip the bartenders at weddings and other events where the alcohol is free.
I generally dont tip the bar tender at a wedding. I figure I am there as a guest, I wouldnt tip the bar tender in someone's home, so why would I at a wedding venue? I figure the tip is being supplied by the host. At least that is the way I would do it, and it would be clear to any bartender I'd hire they couldnt put out a jar or take tips from my guests! If what we agreed upon for your services isnt enough, you shouldnt have agreed!

Yep. I do the same every trip back to state college

Gave the kid at the Skellar a $20 on the first round. Didn’t wait for a drink the rest of the night

Reactions: 91Joe95

Depends:

A baby boomer will tip a dollar per beer
A Generation X'er will tip a couple of dollars per beer
A millennial will tip more because he knows bartending jobs are the only thing keeping millennials going.

Reactions: gslachta
Depends if you want them to return quickly to serve you again. If so, give them a tip to remember you by. If they arent busy, $1 is fine.

Reactions: BBrown
At a wedding I’ll give the bartender the tip for the night on the first drink, $10-$20 depending on the venue

I will do that in general depending on how long I plan on being there. A good tip right off the bat helps a short guy like me get noticed a bit more quickly than would otherwise be the case.

Reactions: odshowtime

$3 is plenty, unless you sat there all night.
The median starting salary for a school teacher is about $39K; the median starting earnings (with tips) for a bartender is estimated to be about the same, except that is underestimated because it's based on tax records and a lot of cash tips go unreported.
So a better question may be how much do you tip teachers?

Reactions: Sproul
The median starting salary for a school teacher is about $39K; the median starting earnings (with tips) for a bartender is estimated to be about the same, except that is underestimated because it's based on tax records and a lot of cash tips go unreported.

What kind of insurance coverage does the bartender get? Does the bartender get summers off, two weeks at Christmas, other major holidays and a week for spring break?

Reactions: SEPATOPTEN

$20 for an A, $10 for a B and $5 for a C.

At least, that is what it used to be.

What kind of insurance coverage does the bartender get? Does the bartender get summers off, two weeks at Christmas, other major holidays and a week for spring break?
you do know that teachers dont get paid for any of that, correct?

Let's make it easier: How much do you tip your garbage collector - they get health insurance and paid leave?
Re teachers: Does the bartender have an advanced degree and tuition debts and is he an indispensable part of society?
$3 is plenty for pushing beers at drunks. Better yet, they should be paid a regular wage so nobody needs to tip.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
If I use the pay as I go method, I always over-tip on the first drink. It brings faster service the rest of the night. Otherwise the buck a drink tip is usually very fair.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
I generally dont tip the bar tender at a wedding. I figure I am there as a guest, I wouldnt tip the bar tender in someone's home, so why would I at a wedding venue? I figure the tip is being supplied by the host. At least that is the way I would do it, and it would be clear to any bartender I'd hire they couldnt put out a jar or take tips from my guests! If what we agreed upon for your services isnt enough, you shouldnt have agreed!
If I see a “no tips accepted” sign, I won’t tip. Otherwise, I tip.

Is your tip dependent upon the ppb level of glyphosate in the beer? $3 for glyphosate contamination and $4 for Glufosinate contamination. :D

Oh jeez, it's starting already....

Before it gets too far I will just point out that I hate when teachers and others in the school system complain about salary when the perks are damn tough to beat. $40,000 a year when you have to work year round is different than making $40,000 and getting the summers off with the opportunity to do seasonal work to make more money if one chooses. There is give and take in all aspects of life.

At a wedding I’ll give the bartender the tip for the night on the first drink, $10-$20 depending on the venue
Bingo. I do the same. I may split it between the first 2 drinks just so I don’t overtip someone who is undeserving. It doesn’t happen often, but it has happened before.

I know pretty well what teachers get paid for.
Who works more days for the same salary?
depends what you mean by salary. But there are tons and tons of people out there that have to produce more to get the same pay as the year before.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT