ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How much do you tip a bartender for giving you a beer

Ended up sitting at a bar last night and having three beers. When it was time to cash out, I paid the bill and left a 3 dollar tip. Buck for each beer. For some reason I felt cheap.

So my question is if you go to the bar and get a beer what is a respectable tip?

Former bartender here, so my response might be skewed.

Minimum $1.50 to $2 per beer. In State College, if the beer is $3, I give the bartender a $5 and tell him to keep it. Same with a $3.50 beer. If the beer goes to $4, then I make sure to give him $6 - and I'll tip proportionally higher as the price of the beer goes up. If I had run a tab like you, and had three beers, I'd be sure to tip the guy minimum $5.

Is your tip dependent upon the ppb level of glyphosate in the beer? $3 for glyphosate contamination and $4 for Glufosinate contamination. :D
I order German beers, because they and 13 other enlightened countries understand erring on the side of safety and are phasing it out. Though there is still enough floating around in the soil that you can get your fix.

Reactions: Nittany_93
so if he pours 35-40 beers in an hour he makes more money then you for that incredibly difficult job.

I order German beers, because they and 13 other enlightened countries understand erring on the side of safety and are phasing it out. Though there is still enough floating around in the soil that you can get your fix.
You are missing out on some great beers from other countries then. Also, you are perhaps missing the irony of complaining about a toxin in the toxin your are drinking. But carry on.

Before it gets too far I will just point out that I hate when teachers and others in the school system complain about salary when the perks are damn tough to beat. $40,000 a year when you have to work year round is different than making $40,000 and getting the summers off with the opportunity to do seasonal work to make more money if one chooses. There is give and take in all aspects of life.
Fair enough. But when its teachers vs. bartenders, I have to side with teachers on just about every score.

Reactions: bison13
You are missing out on some great beers from other countries then. Also, you are perhaps missing the irony of complaining about a toxin in the toxin your are drinking. But carry on.
As you know, it is not clear whether alcohol or glyphosate at the low levels in beer are toxic. Though there is some very ambiguous evidence that alcohol at low levels has some benefits, I don't think anyone but the crazies think that of gly.
In any case, I do prefer the taste of alcohol over gly, so I prefer to take my chances there.
(Kidding, I do drink beer from anywhere.)

Fair enough. But when its teachers vs. bartenders, I have to side with teachers on just about every score.

Hey, trust me when I say that I hope teachers can start licking down Manny Machado types deals. Would make my life a hell of a lot easier.

Former bartender here, so my response might be skewed.

Minimum $1.50 to $2 per beer. In State College, if the beer is $3, I give the bartender a $5 and tell him to keep it. Same with a $3.50 beer. If the beer goes to $4, then I make sure to give him $6 - and I'll tip proportionally higher as the price of the beer goes up. If I had run a tab like you, and had three beers, I'd be sure to tip the guy minimum $5.
This highlights one of the things I think is really dumb with tipping culture. The amount of work done by a bartender to pour a $2 beer is exactly the same as for a $10 beer. But for some reason culture dictates that a $1 tip on a $2 beer is acceptable, but the same tip on a $10 beer is unacceptable to many. I wish we'd just get rid of tipping completely and bake the costs to properly pay employees into the cost of the items.

Ended up sitting at a bar last night and having three beers. When it was time to cash out, I paid the bill and left a 3 dollar tip. Buck for each beer. For some reason I felt cheap.

So my question is if you go to the bar and get a beer what is a respectable tip?
If I have a $3 beer I leave $4 so it sounds OK to me.

I am amazed at how few people tip the bartenders at weddings and other events where the alcohol is free.

Weddings I have been to I know there are instructions not to put out a tip jar or for staff to accept tips. All the people I know have made sure the staff is more than tipped generously. They told me they considered is tacky to have a tip jar out when serving free alcohol.

This highlights one of the things I think is really dumb with tipping culture. The amount of work done by a bartender to pour a $2 beer is exactly the same as for a $10 beer. But for some reason culture dictates that a $1 tip on a $2 beer is acceptable, but the same tip on a $10 beer is unacceptable to many. I wish we'd just get rid of tipping completely and bake the costs to properly pay employees into the cost of the items.

I agree completely. I don't want to figure out what a bartender should be paid. If I enjoyed judging how much employees were worth I'd start my own small business and hire some. I just tip whatever I think is expected and then try not to think about it.

For a $5 beer I'd probably tip $1. If that's not enough then I think we have a problem. It's 30 seconds tops of easy work that I'd gladly do myself if I were allowed. The only reason they even have bartenders is because if they let customers get the themselves some people would steal. The main service the bartender is providing isn't getting my beer for me but rather is protecting the owner of the bar from being stolen from.

Weddings I have been to I know there are instructions not to put out a tip jar or for staff to accept tips. All the people I know have made sure the staff is more than tipped generously. They told me they considered is tacky to have a tip jar out when serving free alcohol.
A tip jar is indeed tacky at a wedding or such event. I still tip, unless it says not to. I discreetly hand the bill to the barkeep.

Reactions: odshowtime
The only reason they even have bartenders is because if they let customers get the themselves some people would steal. The main service the bartender is providing isn't getting my beer for me but rather is protecting the owner of the bar from being stolen from.
This is another of my tipping pet peeves. When international visitors come to the states and ask who and when to tip a common reply is "tip when someone performs a service." Isn't everything a service? The McDonald's cashier is providing a service, they process an exchange of money for food. The grocery store clerk does a service, they bag up and total up my grocery bill. My mortgage lender does a service, they loan me money and bill me in installments. Yet somehow we've defined barbers, waiters and bartenders and "service" but many other examples as not a service. In general I think it's a stupid custom with even more stupid rationale behind it.

Interestingly, there's a bar that just opened here that is self service. Customers fill glasses themselves via an electronically monitored tap system and pay by the ounce. The bar is called "Oz."

Reactions: stormingnorm
This is an interesting topic. If I get a $2.00 happy hour special, can I tip less than if I get a $7.00 high end craft beer? Really, the bartender did the exact same amount of work to pull each draft. I'm not sure I ever really thought about it like this before. In the past, I would probably drop a buck for the first and two for the second. I might have to totally rethink my logic.

If I go to a bar and the bartender works with me drawing some samples to try first, then I will tip accordingly for the additional effort. That seems logical to me. If I run a tab, I'll tip 20% minimum usually (unless I was flat out ignored while the bartender was standing around talking to people and not really working). But per beer, usually a buck or two.

This is an interesting topic. If I get a $2.00 happy hour special, can I tip less than if I get a $7.00 high end craft beer? Really, the bartender did the exact same amount of work to pull each draft. I'm not sure I ever really thought about it like this before. In the past, I would probably drop a buck for the first and two for the second. I might have to totally rethink my logic.

If I go to a bar and the bartender works with me drawing some samples to try first, then I will tip accordingly for the additional effort. That seems logical to me. If I run a tab, I'll tip 20% minimum usually (unless I was flat out ignored while the bartender was standing around talking to people and not really working). But per beer, usually a buck or two.
Since you brought up happy hour, I'll point out that it is good form to tip as if you were paying full price (i.e. the bartender is doing the same amount of work as they would be during not happy hour, so don't screw them by tipping 20% on your discounted beers). Not implying that you (MJG) does this, just pointing it out because I'm not sure everything thinks about this.

Reactions: johnmpsu
The question is, how much of your money did he sweep off the bar with the bar rag, into the trash can, when he mopped it off and emptied the ash tray.

Blue Note in the 4th at Aqueduct. :cool:

Reactions: PSU2UNC

When something is on sale, discounted or a coupon is used it's usually encouraged to tip against the full price. I'd argue that tipping culture against the undiscounted price might encourage MORE theft. If a bartender gives me a free beer I'll usually tip extra as a thank you, essentially putting the bar's portion of the price of the beer (and then some) in the pocket of the bartender instead. By that logic the bartender makes more by stealing from their employer.

The tip amount being based on a percentage of the item's cost is a silly premise. Tipping should be based on the level of service provided, the cost of the item should be irrelevant but in many cases higher cost items might naturally come with higher levels of service and higher tips. It's just a silly cultural phenomenon in general. But even though I think it's dumb, I play along and am always sure to tip a fair amount to servers and bartenders. I know some people that think it's a dumb custom voice their disagreement by stiffing their servers, which isn't right. Those servers didn't create the tipping culture, and their hourly wages unfortunately require that they receive tips or they'd be broke, so they shouldn't be punished for it.

Reactions: MJG-90
When something is on sale, discounted or a coupon is used it's usually encouraged to tip against the full price.

Yes, I'll often do the groupon thing, which I know servers hate (because people lower their tips to the new price). I always tip based on the full amount.

I agree that tipping based on total tab is sort of random. But as you said, that's how the culture was created. No going back until the entire system is scrapped and servers get paid a fair regular rate (minimum wage won't cut it).

In some ways, the more expensive the food, the better the service should be and probably more people are getting shares of those tips. But at the same restaurant, I can buy a cheeseburger for $12 or surf and turf for $36. Did the server do three times as much work for the latter (or one third as much for the former)? That's where this concept flies off the rails in my mind.

I do about what I'd do in a restaurant. An exception--one of our favorite places closed right after New Years Eve--unexpectedly for the staff. That night our regular bartender got a $10--for two happy hour drinks.

What kind of insurance coverage does the bartender get? Does the bartender get summers off, two weeks at Christmas, other major holidays and a week for spring break?
NOW YOU'VE GONE AND DONE IT. I'VE READ A LOT OF STUPID SHIT ON THESE THREADS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS......BUT ITS JUST FOOTBALL AND I KNOW MOST HERE NEVER REALLY PLAYED AND VIRTUALLY NONE EVER COACHED EVEN AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL.....SO WHO CARES.
TEACHERS ARE PROPERLY COMPENSATED AND HAVE GREAT PERKS...I SAY BULLSHIT!
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE LIFETIME OF PERKS I ENJOYED AS A TEACHER. FIRST I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME OTHERS HERE TAKE THE CONTENT AREA CERTIFICATION TESTS. I GOT A JOB THAT PAID LESS THAN CUSTODIANS AT THE TIME AND WAS "BLESSED" TO GET $375 DOLLARS TO BE A FOOTBALL COACH. IN ADDITION I WAS BLESSED WITH 7AM BUS DUTY.....WHERE I GOT TO BREAK UP FIGHTS (MOSTLY GIRLS), LUNCH DUTY, BY MYSELF WITH 2OO STUDENTS AND GOT TO BREAK UP MORE FIGHTS (MOSTLY BOYS) AND LAST PERIOD STUDY HALLS WITH 45 STUDENTS....MOST OF THEM WHO DROPPED OUT OF ACADEMIC CLASSES AND WANTED TO RAISE HELL AT THE END OF THE DAY. I COACHED AFTER SCHOOL AND WAS FORTUNATE TO TAKE HOME ESSAY TESTS AND MID TERMS TO KEEP ME COMPANY DURING MY DOWN TIME.
MY FIRST 3 OR 4 YEARS MY PERKS INCLUDED TAKING MY SUMMERS OFF TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL TO GET MY REQUIRED MASTERS DEGREE. AFTER 3 YEARS I WAS BLESSED TO HAVE MY NAME SENT TO THE SCHOOL BOARD (2 HOUSE WIVES, 2 FARMERS, A PLUMBER, A COP AND A SANITATION WORKER) ALL OF WHOM HAD THEIR OWN AGENDAS.....AND THEY WOULD DETERMINE IF I WOULD BE BLESSED TO CONTINUE MY TEACHING CAREER. AFTER THAT THE PERKS REALLY KICKED IN. THINGS LIKE BUYING A HOUSE AND RAISING CHILDREN MEANT TEACHING SUMMER SCHOOL (WHICH INCIDENTALLY PAYS WORSE THAN REGULAR SCHOOL, SINCE ITS NOT PART OF COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS}.
IN BETWEEN, YOU GET TO TAKE "CHILD ABUSE IDENTIFICATION COURSES, AED, CPR AND FIRST AID" DASA AND SAVE COURSES.
THEN THERE IS PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES, WHEN YOU GET TO WONDER WHO IT IS THE PARENTS ARE TALKING ABOUT.
YES, THERE ARE PERKS. YOU GET TO BE CLOSER THAN A PARENT TO MANY STUDENTS. THEY CONFIDE AND LOOK FOR GUIDANCE THAT THEY AREN'T GETTING AT HOME. IF YOU ARE REALLY FORTUNATE, YOU GET TO ATTEND FUNERALS OF STUDENTS WHO WERE KILLED IN AUTO ACCIDENTS AND TWICE I GOT TO ATTEND SERVICES FOR STUDENTS WHO COMMITTED SUICIDE. I'VE SEEN TEACHERS, MALE AND FEMALE BURST INTO TEARS OF FRUSTRATION OF DEALING WITH STUDENTS WHO SEEM TO NEED MORE THAN WE CAN GIVE THEM. I EVEN HAD TWO MALE CO-WORKERS SUSPENDED AND ACCUSED OF SEXUAL ABUSE. BOTH INCIDENTALLY WERE EXONERATED.....BUT THEY WENT THROUGH HELL.
JUST A FEW OF THE BIGGER PERKS I CAN REMEMBER ARE DISARMING STUDENTS WITH BASEBALL BATS AND POCKET KNIVES. I WAS BLESSED AS A CHAPERONE TO CONFRONT A DRUNKEN MAN WHO HAD A CONCEALED PISTOL AT A BASKETBALL GAME.....WE HAD NO POLICE COVERAGE AND I ASKED THE MAN TO COME WITH ME INTO THE HALLWAY.........WHERE FORTUNATELY HE AGREED TO WALK WITH ME INTO THE PARKING LOT AND PUT HIS GUN IN HIS CAR AND LOCK IT UP.(I IMMEDIATELY WENT INSIDE AND CALLED THE POLICE OF COURSE.) WHEN COACHING AND SUMMER SCHOOL DIDN'T MAKE ENDS MEET, I TOOK THE AD'S JOB AND WORKED EVENINGS IN THE STATE PRISON (DOING RECREATION WORK) ON MY FREE NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS. THE PERKS I MISSED MY BOYS CYO, BASEBALL GAMES AND OTHER ACTIVITIES AS WELL.
MY WIFE AND I VALUED OUR SONS EDUCATION AND THEY NEVER PAID A PENNY TO GET THEIR DEGREES. I WOULD HAVE WORKED FOUR JOBS (OOPS, I DID TEACH, AD, PRISON REC AND PART TIME LEAGUE ADMINISTRATOR).
THE FINAL PERK OF BEING A TEACHER, WAS WATCHING MY WIFE DIE IN OUR STARTER HOME. BY THE WAY SINCE ITS A TOPIC OF LAUGHTER HERE, WE NEVER HAD CENTRAL AIR. WE NEVER QUITE HAD THE EXTRA MONEY TO BUILD THE HOUSE OF OUR DREAMS AND JUST WHEN I THOUGHT WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE THAT STRETCH, IT WAS OVER FOR US.
SO TO YOU WHO THINK TEACHERS ARE PROPERLY COMPENSATED I SAY F YOU AND THE HORSE YOU CAME ON. TOM, DO WITH THIS WHAT YOU WILL, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN.

Reactions: sluggo72
NOW YOU'VE GONE AND DONE IT. I'VE READ A LOT OF STUPID SHIT ON THESE THREADS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS......BUT ITS JUST FOOTBALL AND I KNOW MOST HERE NEVER REALLY PLAYED AND VIRTUALLY NONE EVER COACHED EVEN AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL.....SO WHO CARES.
TEACHERS ARE PROPERLY COMPENSATED AND HAVE GREAT PERKS...I SAY BULLSHIT!
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE LIFETIME OF PERKS I ENJOYED AS A TEACHER. FIRST I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME OTHERS HERE TAKE THE CONTENT AREA CERTIFICATION TESTS. I GOT A JOB THAT PAID LESS THAN CUSTODIANS AT THE TIME AND WAS "BLESSED" TO GET $375 DOLLARS TO BE A FOOTBALL COACH. IN ADDITION I WAS BLESSED WITH 7AM BUS DUTY.....WHERE I GOT TO BREAK UP FIGHTS (MOSTLY GIRLS), LUNCH DUTY, BY MYSELF WITH 2OO STUDENTS AND GOT TO BREAK UP MORE FIGHTS (MOSTLY BOYS) AND LAST PERIOD STUDY HALLS WITH 45 STUDENTS....MOST OF THEM WHO DROPPED OUT OF ACADEMIC CLASSES AND WANTED TO RAISE HELL AT THE END OF THE DAY. I COACHED AFTER SCHOOL AND WAS FORTUNATE TO TAKE HOME ESSAY TESTS AND MID TERMS TO KEEP ME COMPANY DURING MY DOWN TIME.
MY FIRST 3 OR 4 YEARS MY PERKS INCLUDED TAKING MY SUMMERS OFF TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL TO GET MY REQUIRED MASTERS DEGREE. AFTER 3 YEARS I WAS BLESSED TO HAVE MY NAME SENT TO THE SCHOOL BOARD (2 HOUSE WIVES, 2 FARMERS, A PLUMBER, A COP AND A SANITATION WORKER) ALL OF WHOM HAD THEIR OWN AGENDAS.....AND THEY WOULD DETERMINE IF I WOULD BE BLESSED TO CONTINUE MY TEACHING CAREER. AFTER THAT THE PERKS REALLY KICKED IN. THINGS LIKE BUYING A HOUSE AND RAISING CHILDREN MEANT TEACHING SUMMER SCHOOL (WHICH INCIDENTALLY PAYS WORSE THAN REGULAR SCHOOL, SINCE ITS NOT PART OF COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS}.
IN BETWEEN, YOU GET TO TAKE "CHILD ABUSE IDENTIFICATION COURSES, AED, CPR AND FIRST AID" DASA AND SAVE COURSES.
THEN THERE IS PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES, WHEN YOU GET TO WONDER WHO IT IS THE PARENTS ARE TALKING ABOUT.
YES, THERE ARE PERKS. YOU GET TO BE CLOSER THAN A PARENT TO MANY STUDENTS. THEY CONFIDE AND LOOK FOR GUIDANCE THAT THEY AREN'T GETTING AT HOME. IF YOU ARE REALLY FORTUNATE, YOU GET TO ATTEND FUNERALS OF STUDENTS WHO WERE KILLED IN AUTO ACCIDENTS AND TWICE I GOT TO ATTEND SERVICES FOR STUDENTS WHO COMMITTED SUICIDE. I'VE SEEN TEACHERS, MALE AND FEMALE BURST INTO TEARS OF FRUSTRATION OF DEALING WITH STUDENTS WHO SEEM TO NEED MORE THAN WE CAN GIVE THEM. I EVEN HAD TWO MALE CO-WORKERS SUSPENDED AND ACCUSED OF SEXUAL ABUSE. BOTH INCIDENTALLY WERE EXONERATED.....BUT THEY WENT THROUGH HELL.
JUST A FEW OF THE BIGGER PERKS I CAN REMEMBER ARE DISARMING STUDENTS WITH BASEBALL BATS AND POCKET KNIVES. I WAS BLESSED AS A CHAPERONE TO CONFRONT A DRUNKEN MAN WHO HAD A CONCEALED PISTOL AT A BASKETBALL GAME.....WE HAD NO POLICE COVERAGE AND I ASKED THE MAN TO COME WITH ME INTO THE HALLWAY.........WHERE FORTUNATELY HE AGREED TO WALK WITH ME INTO THE PARKING LOT AND PUT HIS GUN IN HIS CAR AND LOCK IT UP.(I IMMEDIATELY WENT INSIDE AND CALLED THE POLICE OF COURSE.) WHEN COACHING AND SUMMER SCHOOL DIDN'T MAKE ENDS MEET, I TOOK THE AD'S JOB AND WORKED EVENINGS IN THE STATE PRISON (DOING RECREATION WORK) ON MY FREE NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS. THE PERKS I MISSED MY BOYS CYO, BASEBALL GAMES AND OTHER ACTIVITIES AS WELL.
MY WIFE AND I VALUED OUR SONS EDUCATION AND THEY NEVER PAID A PENNY TO GET THEIR DEGREES. I WOULD HAVE WORKED FOUR JOBS (OOPS, I DID TEACH, AD, PRISON REC AND PART TIME LEAGUE ADMINISTRATOR).
THE FINAL PERK OF BEING A TEACHER, WAS WATCHING MY WIFE DIE IN OUR STARTER HOME. BY THE WAY SINCE ITS A TOPIC OF LAUGHTER HERE, WE NEVER HAD CENTRAL AIR. WE NEVER QUITE HAD THE EXTRA MONEY TO BUILD THE HOUSE OF OUR DREAMS AND JUST WHEN I THOUGHT WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE THAT STRETCH, IT WAS OVER FOR US.
SO TO YOU WHO THINK TEACHERS ARE PROPERLY COMPENSATED I SAY F YOU AND THE HORSE YOU CAME ON. TOM, DO WITH THIS WHAT YOU WILL, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN.

You seem angry at your chosen profession. Honestly, is it much different than what you were expecting when you went to school to become a teacher? I think one of the greatest issues going on right now is that teachers are entering the profession Ill prepared for what they may encounter and for what they are actually going to be expected to do.

I think one of the greatest issues going on right now is that teachers are entering the profession Ill prepared for what they may encounter and for what they are actually going to be expected to do.
The same can be said for many chosen degrees and professions. This is a big contributing factor to the student debt crisis that is largely not discussed by the media. Instead the focus is on rising tuition and attendance costs. Additionally the perception that all students should go to college instead of going directly into the workforce or finding a trade is another. All 3 are factors in the looming cost of higher education bursting bubble that will happen eventually. Two of those factors can be controlled by the students themselves, but those are the factors that are much less talked about for some reason.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
You seem angry at your chosen profession. Honestly, is it much different than what you were expecting when you went to school to become a teacher? I think one of the greatest issues going on right now is that teachers are entering the profession Ill prepared for what they may encounter and for what they are actually going to be expected to do.
I'd do it all over again, despite assholes like you.

I'd do it all over again, despite assholes like you.
I'm happy that there are people who have chosen to be teachers. I've taught (at the college level) and didn't care for it, but it is obviously a very important profession.

I think the issue that others have brought up is: were you ill informed about what a career as a teacher would be like (in terms of salary, day to day lifestyle, union issues, problems with parents, etc) when you decided to major in education? Or were you aware of all of the drawbacks (every career path has drawbacks) and chose to do it anyway?

Not about tipping but just throwing this out there to help people out. If you're going out with friends with the sole intention of getting hammered, NEVER run a tab at the bar. I have a couple bartender friends who are more than happy to buy drinks for friends on someone else's card, knowing that they won't realize the next morning.

Not about tipping but just throwing this out there to help people out. If you're going out with friends with the sole intention of getting hammered, NEVER run a tab at the bar. I have a couple bartender friends who are more than happy to buy drinks for friends on someone else's card, knowing that they won't realize the next morning.
So your friends are a-holes? Got it.

If I am in Hamburg, PA visiting my wife's family and paying $1/beer at the local bar then I'm usually pretty freaking generous....... If I am here in metro Atlanta paying $5-6 / beer then not so generous.

I'm happy that there are people who have chosen to be teachers. I've taught (at the college level) and didn't care for it, but it is obviously a very important profession.

I think the issue that others have brought up is: were you ill informed about what a career as a teacher would be like (in terms of salary, day to day lifestyle, union issues, problems with parents, etc) when you decided to major in education? Or were you aware of all of the drawbacks (every career path has drawbacks) and chose to do it anyway?
I had an uncle who lost a leg as a 19 year old on the bridge at Remagen. He was initially depressed and tried to kill himself when he returned stateside. For a time, he crawled around and was a shoe shine boy. When the GI Bill became available, he attended Bloomsburg and got his teaching degree. He moved to NJ and taught Biology and later became a principal. My father had a gas station/repair shop and always pointed to him as a hero. I think that was part of the impetus for my older brother and I to pursue teaching. I also admired my high school coaches (who in those days were always teachers in the school district). I never expected to be rich. I did, however wish to make a difference in the lives of young people and give back the way others had given to me. It's no secret....as I've written here before that it was Joe Sarra who was my coach and mentor.
He taught me a great deal about life as well as football and remained a close confident until he passed away in 2012.
Teachers are entrusted with the most valuable assets we have, our children. Its beyond insanity for anyone to condone low salaries and talk about the "perks" of their positions. Today's teachers spend more time with children than many of their parent. Both parents have careers and dump their kids at school and pick them up as latch key kids. Many parents bitch and moan on snow days because they have no one to raise their kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT