ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jamaica 2016

PSU1282

Jan 27, 2006
We are thinking about a 2016 spring trip to Jamaica. Not interested in Montego Bay area. We would like an all- inclusive package but we're not locked into that concept. Any suggestions would be helpful.
This is meant to be a "beach " vacation where we can bask in the sun without running around, which is what we normally do.

If you're avoiding MoBay, I'd strongly suggest renting a private beachfront

Home. Most of the private homes have full time staffs (driver, chef, housekeeper) and it isn't as expensive as you'd think because having such staffs is customary in Jamaica. The link will get you started, but I'd recommend also contacting rental companies in the areas of interest. I've found that it's easier to negotiate rate discounts through agencies as opposed to individual owners because they tend to be too proud of their houses.

Good luck

This post was edited on 4/9 1:49 PM by Peetz Pool Boy

VRBO

I am not a huge fan of Jamaica, too much BS, little rule of law

everyone with their hand out. They will probably tell you not to leave the compound, ah resort at night, as its probably not safe to do so. While the water looks nice, there is very little to see in it, as its been fished out. I cant recall but I think there are water issues as well.

Cancun is safer, beaches as nice or nice and many all inclusive. You can venture out at night. While there is still some BS (beggers, currency exchange, negoitate every purchase) its better than Jamaica.

Cuzumel is better than Cancun realtive to safety, as its an island, very difficult to hide.

Grand Cayman is my favorite, top 10 in the world beach (7 mile beach), no BS, currency exchange is always the same, no water issues, no language issues, nobody begging!! good chance the cab drivers have more money than you!! lol That said very few all-inclusives, and eating and drinking is expensive, think NYC.

The Reef on the East End does do all inclusive, nice beach, no rough surf, great diving/snorkling, not much else.

pick you posions.

2 Suggestions

The Caves in Negril is very unique and upscale. Relatively small - built into cliffs above the ocean with small cottages for rent. All-inclusive. If just you and your wife, this is a great choice.

If kids are in the mix, I recommend the Rose Hall Hilton. It's just outside of Mo-Bay. Also all-inclusive. Great water park and pools, several restaurants.

I've never had any crime or begging related problems in Jamaica - although we tend to stay at the resort or take organized tours.

If the beach is your priority, I would recommend going to the Negril side of Jamaica. That's where you will find what many consider to be the best stretch of beaches in Jamaica. They are a number of excellent all-inclusive resorts in Negril. My favorite by far are the two Couples resorts in Negril (Couples Negril and Couples Swept Away).

Negril offers the best beach in Jamaica. Couples Swept away was very nice. Great if you like squash and other activities. If you have kids you can't beat beaches which is right down the beach. The golf sucks in the area but cheaper than most island courses.

Re: OT: Jamaica 2016_ Thanks

Thanks, Looking at The Caves and the Reef

I agree with the posters who say to go to Negril. Bloody bay has a

beautiful beach. The wife and I have stayed at the RIU Tropical Bay a few times, it is an all inclusive on the beach and has good attractions (entertainment, dining, etc.).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT