ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lazy Drivers

PS4814

Jul 28, 2016
The State of Paranoia
To continue the bitch fest about drivers from a couple days ago I'm going to vent my frustrations from my commute today.

The number of pieces of ice flying off of cars, suv's and trucks this morning was too damned high! I had to swerve several times to avoid a large chunks hitting my windshield both from vehicles ahead of me and those on the other side of the highway. I understand that this was a combined snow/ice event but those people who left their vehicles outside should get up earlier, warm up their vehicle, and break the ice off their car. The bumps in the road and you going 60 mph isn't the way to clear it off.

Really considering getting a dash cam at this point so any of you with them I'm open to suggestions.

To continue the bitch fest about drivers from a couple days ago I'm going to vent my frustrations from my commute today.

The number of pieces of ice flying off of cars, suv's and trucks this morning was too damned high! I had to swerve several times to avoid a large chunks hitting my windshield both from vehicles ahead of me and those on the other side of the highway. I understand that this was a combined snow/ice event but those people who left their vehicles outside should get up earlier, warm up their vehicle, and break the ice off their car. The bumps in the road and you going 60 mph isn't the way to clear it off.

Really considering getting a dash cam at this point so any of you with them I'm open to suggestions.

I mean, you're asking for a lot here... drivers to be considerate?
I imagine 70% of drivers don't even understand that they have ice on their car.

LdN

Reactions: BBrown and Cosmos
Maybe you were driving too close to them. Also, have you considered driving on the sidewalk?

Where do you live, the Antarctica? The ice here is like 1/16 of an inch thick.

In Pa it is illegal to drive until all ice and snow have been removed. Law was passed couple yrs ago after a woman was killed by a chunk of ice coming through her windshield. The fines are substantial. And a recent update in the law gives cops the right to pull you over and fine you just for this.

Guess you could take a dash cam and then turn them in. It is a serious problem.

In Pa it is illegal to drive until all ice and snow have been removed. Law was passed couple yrs ago after a woman was killed by a chunk of ice coming through her windshield. The fines are substantial. And a recent update in the law gives cops the right to pull you over and fine you just for this.

Thought so. Even still, it's pretty sad when you must pass a law to promote common sense.

Reactions: FJ47
Make sure you install death laser beams with your cam, that will teach em. ;-)

Maybe you were driving too close to them. Also, have you considered driving on the sidewalk?

For some of the tractor trailers it was actually safer to be closer so the projectiles flew over top of my car. Unfortunately there are no sidewalks on the highways where said problems occurred.

Where do you live, the Antarctica? The ice here is like 1/16 of an inch thick.

Problem is that that ice has an inch of snow underneath it and when the freezing rain came down it soaked into the snow turning it into 1 inch thick chunks.

Can’t click like but damn that “also...” was funny.

I’m with the OP though, even if he followed some too close. Bigger danger is opposing traffic. Pretty sure I was nearly killed (and likely my entire family with me) last winter on 476 when I was driving my wife’s Volvo. A huge sheet of ice came off the top of a tractor trailer going in the opposite direction. Smashed the windshield at what 130 mph combined momentum (truck’s speed + mine)? Still can’t believe the windshield held.

citizens-arrest.jpg

According to this recent article, it is illegal to operate your vehicle without clearing it first, however, there is currently no consequence unless you injure or kill someone. Then you get the big fine.

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-ice-removal-bill-boscola-20190215-story.html

According to this recent article, it is illegal to operate your vehicle without clearing it first, however, there is currently no consequence unless you injure or kill someone. Then you get the big fine.

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-ice-removal-bill-boscola-20190215-story.html

As far as I know it is illegal in both MD and PA and I saw a story from my hometown paper, (Somerset, PA) that they were going to start enforcing it on the turnpike. For what thats worth.

Here in NEPA ice flying off is for amateurs. We do it right.

https://wnep.com/2019/02/18/troopers-release-photo-of-truck-involved-in-turnpike-crash/

"This is the fourth time tires have gotten loose from vehicles in the last two months. On February 11, a woman driving on Interstate 81 in Moosic got hit by a runaway tire. On January 28, a tractor trailer's tire went through the windshield of a Greyhound bus on Interstate 380. And just days before that Newswatch 16 caught a tire flying off a dump truck in Greenfield Township."

Last edited:
As far as I know it is illegal in both MD and PA and I saw a story from my hometown paper, (Somerset, PA) that they were going to start enforcing it on the turnpike. For what thats worth.

Please forgive the quick Google search, but based on this, it sounds like all they can get you for is "obstructed view" which is a $25 fine. Unless of course you injure or kill someone where you are eligible for a $1,000 fine which will probably be the least of your problems.

I really can't stand it when people don't clear their vehicles. I leave the house around 4:30 AM, and on a morning like this I have to get up earlier to clear the vehicle. Then I get behind a clown this morning with sheets of ice flying through the air like a kite.

https://www.dlplaw.com/clearing-snow-ice-car-must-pennsylvania/

Reactions: PS4814

IIRC, it was recently changed to allow for initial stops. However, you have 24 hrs after it stops snowing to remove all snow. That was put in because if you are driving long distances while snowing, it would be too dangerous to have people pulling over along a highway to clean a car or truck, especially big rigs.

Some truck stops are now installing equipment to clean trailers after a night of sleep or food stops.

Had an entire sheet of ice come off a pickup and sliced my passenger-side mirror flying along I-78 last winter. Guy did pull over (was from GA in NJ on a construction job) - exchanged insurance, etc. They paid for the repair. I was lucky.
I've been hit by snow and ice from cars over the years - don't get why people don't take the time to take care of this before getting on the road.

Vehicles must be cleared of snow and ice before PA. If you don 't you risk some hefty fine and possible jail time if someone is injured/killed from flying debris from your vehicle.

Texting while driving is the worst. Most people I know who have died did so because they were multitasking.

You should remove ice from your vehicle. Sometimes though... Especially with trucks you are going to have ice buildup that isn't even entirely visible.

Texting while driving is the worst. Most people I know who have died did so because they were multitasking.

You should remove ice from your vehicle. Sometimes though... Especially with trucks you are going to have ice buildup that isn't even entirely visible.

"... trucks you are going to have ice buildup that isn't even entirely visible." Law doesn't care that ice may not be easily visible.

Listen! the PA law is tough! If someone killed you could be facing manslaughter charges.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT