ADVERTISEMENT

OT: old coins

Frabjous

Oct 3, 2013
the corner of Pork & Beans
Found a bag of old coins while emptying my MIL’s house, one of which is Spanish and dated 1792. I looked on line to see what they were worth, but they ranged in value from only a few dollars to hundreds of dollars, which is not helpful. Can anyone recommend a coin dealer in the Philadelphia area who can take a look at them? Many thanks for all responses. No free samples, sorry.

Found a bag of old coins while emptying my MIL’s house, one of which is Spanish and dated 1792. I looked on line to see what they were worth, but they ranged in value from only a few dollars to hundreds of dollars, which is not helpful. Can anyone recommend a coin dealer in the Philadelphia area who can take a look at them? Many thanks for all responses. No free samples, sorry.
You might want to try to find an appraiser who isn't a dealer. Years ago I was in your situation and had a tough time with the dealers. They were offering less than 50% of retail, but to be fair, they might have the coins in inventory for a long time before a buyer came along.
Unfortunately, I can't help with a referral to an appraiser.

Be careful: most coin dealers, not all...... but some coin dealers = used car salesmen.

Reactions: KCLion
Just a comment, the value of the gold or silver in the coin may be far greater than the face value of the coin. Be wary of dealers.

Donate it to a museum for ten times its actual value and then take the tax deduction. It’s what they do with over priced works of art.👹

If you can get to the DC area, go here: https://www.goldeneaglecoin.com/

They move massive amounts of metals and are heavily regulated. They know what they are doing and publish prices online (subject to minor changes throughout the day). They will Zoom with you.

I've had a coin collection ever since I was a kid and delivered newspapers around the neighborhood. I would pick up Buffalo nickels, Mercury head dimes, old pennies and the like. When my father passed, I inherited his collection. I'm not a dealer, but I'd be interested to hear what you have. I have gaps in my collections for some of the more rare issues. I'm too cheap to pay the big bucks from a dealer. Even if you can't fill my gaps, I can tell you the reasonable values.

Knowing the potential retail value and having an actual buyer are two very different things. Unless they are made of precious metals it's very difficult to find buyer.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT