ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Passenger planes in Germany having difficulty landing (due to wind)....

I travel a decent bit ---- the first time I was ever on a flight that did a "go-around" was the Monday evening after Thanksgiving, flying into Denver. My flight's approach happened to align time-wise with the passage of a front and a significant wind shift. The airplane was all over the place on our first attempt at landing.

I knew the pilots up there were professionals and would safely get us down eventually, but it was definitely a bit unnerving.

I travel a decent bit ---- the first time I was ever on a flight that did a "go-around" was the Monday evening after Thanksgiving, flying into Denver. My flight's approach happened to align time-wise with the passage of a front and a significant wind shift. The airplane was all over the place on our first attempt at landing.

I knew the pilots up there were professionals and would safely get us down eventually, but it was definitely a bit unnerving.

Düsseldorf is interesting in that it has no crosswind runways and as such, it can make for very challenging landings. Hong Kong has similar challenges along with terrain and frequent storms.

I’m surprised that only a few of the airplanes in the video went missed approach.

Had one of these at BWI (Baltimore) coming back from Atlanta last year. The pilot was fighting the wind on approach the whole time. We got down to about 50-100ft when he throttled back up. My wife just looked at me like what are we doing? He fought the second time as well but we made it safely and there was a lot of clapping.

just had one last week at LGA. my plane was on final approach and a plane on the runway, taking off, had a mechanical problem and was lingering. so our plane had to do a go around.

I had one like that at MRY.

Apparently the Dash 8 really struggles in crosswinds. It shows in those videos

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT