ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Phoenix and tucson

Nashville Lion

Sep 25, 2005
Hey guys! Heading to Phoenix and Tucson. Any recommendations on things to do or see? Places to eat, etc?

The weather looks to be about 80 to 85 this week. quick question....is that pretty comfortable considering the humidity will be low I would assume. 85 in the south can be unbearable when combined with humidity. Thoughts on Phoenix/Tucson weather in the spring. Thanks in advance.

In Tucson, the Arizona Sonora Desert museum is always interesting. See if anything is happening in Old Tucson, where they filmed a zillion movies. The Reid Park Zoo is fun, on what used to be the east side but is now considered midtown with the city growing so much. Kitt Peak is great if you are into astronomy. The old graveyard of airplanes is also fun out by Davis Monothan. If you are not staying at the La Paloma or one of the hotels in the foothills or Sabino, then try the "Arizona Inn", which is directly in midtown but is a hidden secret in the city. The U of A is right there off of Campbell and Grant. Watch the traffic situation, as it's a problem in Tucson, because the city was poorly designed for the boom in the 70's and 80's, but you should be ok if you plan your itinerary. If you want authentic Mexican food, go to ANY place on 6th street or in South Tucson, stay clear of the chain places, but the taco stands like El Taco or Filiberto's, are really terrific if you don't mind the grease haha.

As far as weather, in both Phx and Tucson, there will be a 35 degree drop off between day temps and night temps this time of year. It's a desert.

STAY AWAY from anything around the Flowing Wells area, or the Oracle/Miracle Mile area, due to crime.

There are super high dollar five star restaurants(The Tack Room, Charles), if you have the dollars, but you can go just as classy at any nice place like the Double Tree hotel, which has a great brunch.

Almost forgot, El conquistador is a nice course, but if you are in the city, Randolph should be available also. Some people like Starr pass, but hell, I used to play El Rio every now and then too, easier to get a tee time.

Phoenix Botanical Gardens are cool if you are into that stuff. Walk around Tempe and ASU. Mill St in Tempe is typical college town main drag. Good bars. Old Town Scottsdale is a nice area. Cave Creek area north of PHX is quality day hiking area.

Thanks for the info. gonna be in phoenix a night or two and then Tucson two nights. I have been to Phoenix and Sedona before but never to Tucson.

If you are looking for a great place to eat in the Phoenix, Scotsdale are... Go to the Mission. One of my favorite restaurants anywhere.

If you are looking for a great place to eat in the Phoenix, Scotsdale are... Go to the Mission. One of my favorite restaurants anywhere.
Second the Mission in Scottsdale.

Little Miss BBQ for lunch.

Pizzeria Bianco gets good press, but I've never been.

I love the steak and the butter cake at Maestro's.

Snooze is a great place for breakfast with good drinks.

Climb Camelback in Scottadale. Get there early. Park next to the Phoenician (and stay there if you can!).

Old Town Scottsdale is great, but make CERTAIN you are either in a cab, or have a designated driver, lmao.

Thanks for the info. gonna be in phoenix a night or two and then Tucson two nights. I have been to Phoenix and Sedona before but never to Tucson.

Good advice by 21 re: Tucson.

I like Tucson, much smaller than Phoenix and with (just my opinion) much more personality. Phoenix and the suburbs are too big, too crowded, too touristy. Phoenix is desert, Tucson is high desert, totally different feel to it.

Travel safely!

Hey guys! Heading to Phoenix and Tucson. Any recommendations on things to do or see? Places to eat, etc?

The weather looks to be about 80 to 85 this week. quick question....is that pretty comfortable considering the humidity will be low I would assume. 85 in the south can be unbearable when combined with humidity. Thoughts on Phoenix/Tucson weather in the spring. Thanks in advance.

The Arizona-Sonora Desert museum is a must. It was one of the best attractions I've been to. Its a museum, zoo, botanical garden and nature hike all in one. Its worth every penny.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/

If you want to catch an amazing sunset try Gates Pass.
Gates Pass is a quick ride from the city center. You’ll drive west on Speedway and up a long hill, which becomes Gates Pass Road. This road was built in the 1880s by Thomas Gates, a local pioneer, rancher and miner who wanted a shortcut between his land and the Tucson valley. Be aware that once you’re on Gates Pass Road, it becomes narrow and winding. There are several deep drop-offs, which is why the pass is not open to commercial traffic or vehicles more than 40 feet in length. There are several pullouts, but the main Gates Pass parking area will allow you to hike the nearby hills.
If you decide to do that I'd recommend this place for dinner...If you continue along Gates Pass Road south of the Tucson Mountains, you’ll meet up with Kinney Road, the route to Old Tucson for evening fun. If dinner is your goal, we recommend you head back toward the Tucson Valley and Speedway, turning left onto Silverbell Road. Hidden behind a McDonald’s® just off the intersection with Greasewood (named after the southwest native shrub), you’ll find a gem of an eatery called Teresa’s Mosaic Cafe. it was opened in 1984 by the Matais family, its excellent traditional food.
you’ll enjoy beautiful views as well as jugs of fresh homemade lemonade and baskets of tortillas. try the Huevos Rancheros, which were featured in a throwdown with Food Network’s Bobby Flay. Located at 2455 N. Silverbell Rd.; call 520.624.4512.

If you want to do some hiking or a really nice, easy scenic drive try
Saguaro National Park. Its comprised of two districts, East and West.

If you’re there early enough and want to make a day of it, check in at the Visitor Center for the park movie, exhibits, shopping and a detailed list of many special programs. Then head into the park via the Cactus Forest Loop drive for an eight-mile scenic tour of the Sonoran Desert. There are trailheads and pullouts to enjoy. Mica View is also a good place to catch a sunset (I though Gates Pass was better) there's a pullout complete with an easy desert trail and picnic area. There’s also a map to help put your viewing in perspective.

https://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm

If your downtown El Charro Cafe is excellent...

http://www.elcharrocafe.com/locations.asp

Here's a link to some of my pictures, they might help you decide on which places to visit and kind of show you what to expect.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60907528@N02/albums/72157644513965519
If you have any questions just ask.
I loved Tucson.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Sabino Canyon was out there a few weeks back awesome place in Tucson anotehr place to go visit is Old Tucson or Pinnical peaks

I was in Scottsdale two years ago for a wedding. Favorites on that trip were:

El Chorro on East Lincoln Drive in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley (Note the spelling, this is not the same place mentioned earlier in the thread).

Butterfield's on East Shea Boulevard for breakfast.

The Arizona-Sonora Desert museum is a must. It was one of the best attractions I've been to. Its a museum, zoo, botanical garden and nature hike all in one. Its worth every penny.

Gates Pass is a quick ride from the city center. You’ll drive west on Speedway and up a long hill, which becomes Gates Pass Road. This road was built in the 1880s by Thomas Gates, a local pioneer, rancher and miner who wanted a shortcut between his land and the Tucson valley. Be aware that once you’re on Gates Pass Road, it becomes narrow and winding. There are several deep drop-offs, which is why the pass is not open to commercial traffic or vehicles more than 40 feet in length. There are several pullouts, but the main Gates Pass parking area will allow you to hike the nearby hills.
If you decide to do that I'd recommend this place for dinner...If you continue along Gates Pass Road south of the Tucson Mountains, you’ll meet up with Kinney Road, the route to Old Tucson for evening fun. If dinner is your goal, we recommend you head back toward the Tucson Valley and Speedway, turning left onto Silverbell Road. Hidden behind a McDonald’s® just off the intersection with Greasewood (named after the southwest native shrub), you’ll find a gem of an eatery called Teresa’s Mosaic Cafe. it was opened in 1984 by the Matais family, its excellent traditional food.
you’ll enjoy beautiful views as well as jugs of fresh homemade lemonade and baskets of tortillas. try the Huevos Rancheros, which were featured in a throwdown with Food Network’s Bobby Flay. Located at 2455 N. Silverbell Rd.; call 520.624.4512.

If you’re there early enough and want to make a day of it, check in at the Visitor Center for the park movie, exhibits, shopping and a detailed list of many special programs. Then head into the park via the Cactus Forest Loop drive for an eight-mile scenic tour of the Sonoran Desert. There are trailheads and pullouts to enjoy. Mica View is also a good place to catch a sunset (I though Gates Pass was better) there's a pullout complete with an easy desert trail and picnic area. There’s also a map to help put your viewing in perspective.

Here's a link to some of my pictures, they might help you decide on which places to visit and kind of show you what to expect.

I loved Tucson.
LMAO, I just remembered that one of the old homes in Gates Pass used to be owned by Lee Marvin, on the way there.

If you want GREAT breakfast joints, try Bobo's on Country Club, or Frank's on Pima and Columbus...Great breakfast dives!

LOL, thats interesting.
I remember seeing some really, really nice houses on the Hillside.

Every time I drove past it, my mind immediately went to how many parties probably happened
in that house and how many drunken hedonistic things went down with Marvin and his buddies,
hahahaha.

McCartney reportedly had a house in Sabino Canyon, and WE KNOW Diana Ross did haha, she got lost up in the foothills after too many cocktails and the TPD had to pull her over hahahaha.

BBrown...these photos are amazing. Wow. I am really excited about checking it out. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I loved Tucson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT