ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Scofield asleep on the job (3rd base coach for Pirates)

That's pathetic for a major league 3rd base coach to wave a guy home in that situation. That's just awful at this level to be that brain dead of the situation.
I know I don't watch other teams consistently, but I find it hard to imagine there being a more fundamentally unsound team than the Pirates. How they have the record they do is due only to pitching. Yeah, third base coaching has been a problem for at least three years. And other than Kang and Cervelli, the baseball IQ of this team is moronic at best. What was Cutch doing throwing a rainbow to third in the 8th? And Polanco as I've said before, looks like Kosmo Kramer playing in right. Sorry. but this stuff is really hard to watch. And what I found particularly irritating is that they're all in the dugout laughing during the 9th inning.

That's pathetic for a major league 3rd base coach to wave a guy home in that situation. That's just awful at this level to be that brain dead of the situation.
I cannot recall a more obvious blunder in recent memory. I don't know the practicality of it, but I would let someone else coach 3rd tomorrow.

I cannot recall a more obvious blunder in recent memory. I don't know the practicality of it, but I would let someone else coach 3rd tomorrow.
I honestly think anyone of us could do a better job than he does. Disgusting.

Reactions: TheGLOV

The cutoff man was catching the relay as Marte hit third. I can understand sending him if Marte was the tying or winning run,especially if there would have been two outs,but to send him with nobody out was unforgivable.

Although it doesn't compare to Scofield's blunder I didn't like Hurdle sticking with Cole who was already over 100 pitches and also not intentionally walking the batter with first base open. Why not walk the guy to set up a force at any base then bring in Watson or Hughes at that point to hopefully get an inning ending double play. Cole needed a strike out or pop up in that situation and he was running out of gas - anything else would have scored the first run.

Polanco striking out with the bases loaded was a fitting ending.

Their lack of attention to detail and poor fundamentals does get old.

Reactions: fairgambit
Although it doesn't compare to Scofield's blunder I didn't like Hurdle sticking with Cole who was already over 100 pitches and also not intentionally walking the batter with first base open. Why not walk the guy to set up a force at any base then bring in Watson or Hughes at that point to hopefully get an inning ending double play. Cole needed a strike out or pop up in that situation and he was running out of gas - anything else would have scored the first run.

Given what they have currently, Tabata should be up and playing right field against LHP (and maybe RHP also). Polanco's play is, for the most part, awful.

I missed most of last night's debacle ... started watching in the 7th inning and Cole was pretty much unhittable. Again the problem is that the Pirate bats are silent. Cole (and Burnett) should sue them for "lack of support".

Only thing worse than the Sofield "green light" was the Pirates' lack of defense in the 8th. Walker's error (he didn't get in front of a ball that really wasn't hit all that hard), McCutchen's throw brought back memories of Barry Bonds - Sid Bream) and Polanco's muff.

When you are down by 3, the last thing that you do is run into an out on the bases. Marte's run didn't mean much - they still needed some hitters to come through, but the "out" was devastating.

When I coached 11 - 12 year olds, I would have been throwing clipboards - then I see Hurdle grinning in the dugout.

I missed most of last night's debacle ... started watching in the 7th inning and Cole was pretty much unhittable. Again the problem is that the Pirate bats are silent. Cole (and Burnett) should sue them for "lack of support".

Only thing worse than the Sofield "green light" was the Pirates' lack of defense in the 8th. Walker's error (he didn't get in front of a ball that really wasn't hit all that hard), McCutchen's throw brought back memories of Barry Bonds - Sid Bream) and Polanco's muff.

When you are down by 3, the last thing that you do is run into an out on the bases. Marte's run didn't mean much - they still needed some hitters to come through, but the "out" was devastating.

When I coached 11 - 12 year olds, I would have been throwing clipboards - then I see Hurdle grinning in the dugout.
And as far as the comparison discussed in an earlier thread of Cutch and Clemente. I've seen them both play and at this point, not even close.

Bad base running and poor D have been themes of many of their losses. Inexplicable. I don't care how good the pitching is, that formula won't get them where they want to go when combined with this mediocre (at best) offense.

Does anyone yet understand the Marte non-HR? I've read the ground rules for the stadium and nowhere does it speak to where it hits on the wall.

And as to the topic at hand....inexcusable to send him home even if there is a remote chance at the plate of getting nailed.

Does anyone yet understand the Marte non-HR? I've read the ground rules for the stadium and nowhere does it speak to where it hits on the wall.

And as to the topic at hand....inexcusable to send him home even if there is a remote chance at the plate.

My feeling until proven otherwise is that they made it up on the fly.

My feeling until proven otherwise is that they made it up on the fly.
I agree with you. Hence, the "no comment" explanation when they learned about the screw up. Kind of felt like some of the Big Ten games since 2011.

I don't have a problem with leaving Cole in. With the speed that was coming up it was going to be extremely hard to turn a double play. The Pirates were looking for a strikeout and Cole was more likely to get that than anybody. The pitch the guy hit to drive in the first two runs was 98mph. Cole was not running out of gas.

When I coached 11 - 12 year olds, I would have been throwing clipboards - then I see Hurdle grinning in the dugout.[/QUOTE

Things have pretty much evened out for Burnett. With a little run support he could certainly have a few more wins, but Monday night was not the first time the offense bailed him out this year. His three worst starts are probably in games he won.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT