ADVERTISEMENT

Bottom line

bdgan

May 29, 2008
PSU doesn't have any top level WRs or pass catching TEs and Allar doesn't handle the pressure well. So Franklin was up against it against both OSU & UM.

But....

The staff hasn't helped Allar at all. They need to give him some easy 5-6 yd passes on 1st down to build his confidence. Instead they run between the tackles on 1st and second down and then expect Allar to throw on 3rd and 6. Not good coaching IMO.

Then the other play calling. PSU had 4th and 1 and goes empty backfield instead of using your bull running back Kaytron Allen who was lined up at WR and looked confused.

Then the 2 pt conversion at the half. WTF? PSU couldn't score on 3 attempts when it was 1st and goal from the 3. They couldn't get 1 yard on 4th and 1. I don't care about the analytics in that situation. My team isn't likely to convert and a UM FG makes it an 8 pt game. Makes no sense to me.

Then with 4:30 to go PSU is 4th and 13 with 2 time outs. Franklin decides to go for it. A miss means at least a FG and an 11 pt lead for UM. That decision made no sense to me either.

Bottom line: UM has a better team but Franklin makes it tough for his young QB. Then he panics and makes bone headed decisions that make the hole even deeper for his team. He's a smart guy but he seems to get tight shorts when faced with tough situations.

PSU doesn't have any top level WRs or pass catching TEs and Allar doesn't handle the pressure well. So Franklin was up against it against both OSU & UM.

But....

The staff hasn't helped Allar at all. They need to give him some easy 5-6 yd passes on 1st down to build his confidence. Instead they run between the tackles on 1st and second down and then expect Allar to throw on 3rd and 6. Not good coaching IMO.

Then the other play calling. PSU had 4th and 1 and goes empty backfield instead of using your bull running back Kaytron Allen who was lined up at WR and looked confused.

Then the 2 pt conversion at the half. WTF? PSU couldn't score on 3 attempts when it was 1st and goal from the 3. They couldn't get 1 yard on 4th and 1. I don't care about the analytics in that situation. My team isn't likely to convert and a UM FG makes it an 8 pt game. Makes no sense to me.

Then with 4:30 to go PSU is 4th and 13 with 2 time outs. Franklin decides to go for it. A miss means at least a FG and an 11 pt lead for UM. That decision made no sense to me either.

Bottom line: UM has a better team but Franklin makes it tough for his young QB. Then he panics and makes bone headed decisions that make the hole even deeper for his team. He's a smart guy but he seems to get tight shorts when faced with tough situations.
You think the team has the same questions?

TCU beat UM last year by keeping UM off balance. They threw left then threw right. Some short, some slants, some deep. That opened up the running game.

PSU tried to beat UM by running between the tackles on 1st and second down then asking Allar and his WRs to execute on 3rd and 6. I realize we don't have the same talent that TCU had on offense but that strategy really makes it tough on the offense.

But....

We are running the wrong offense given our personnel.

It should be obvious

Our wr and qb are not good.
Yet, we pass 70% of the downs.

Our best RB splits time and is behind a RB who wouldn't start at Iowa this season based upon his performance.

This is Franklin.

But....

You do realize for everything you just stated there is one man to be held accountable? His name is JF. He recruited these TE’s/WR’s/etc. JF hired these coordinators. JF makes (or doesn’t make) in game decisions.

Franklin was up against it with both OSU & UM because of his own doing. Nothing more and nothing less. He has very very very low football IQ.

Reactions: Grass and manilion
Our wr and qb are not good.
Yet, we pass 70% of the downs.
We passed 40% of the time and a lot of that was after we fell behind by 2 scores. I think the problem is we didn't pass on first down and put our passing game in too many 3rd and long situations.

P.S. I know the defense plays differently but did you notice the Allar was able to pass down the field late vs both OSU & UM when we needed to score quickly?

Last edited:
We passed 40% of the time and a lot of that was after we fell behind by 2 scores. I think the problem is we didn't pass on first down and put our passing game in too many 3rd and long situations.

P.S. I know the defense plays differently but did you notice the Allar was able to pass down the field late vs both OSU & UM when we needed to score quickly?
Possibly add a screen pass to a running back to the playbook

Reactions: 1AA
Possibly add a screen pass to a running back to the playbook
Hey. Why try to get it to your really good running back in space when you can hand it off to him really sloooooowly and have him run into the teeth of the defense! Doesn't everybody do it that way? Well maybe not but sooner or later PSU will perfect it. Imagine trying to add a little imagination to the running game. Why would anybody ever try and do that.

He's a smart guy but he seems to get tight shorts when faced with tough situations.

In other words, he's good with people and can recruit well, but can't prepare for a football game, nor manage a football game. For that the school pays millions every year, then begs for more money.

Reactions: manilion and psu00

Whatever we passed, it was too much.

Our 'passing game' cost us almost all our drives

Hey. Why try to get it to your really good running back in space when you can hand it off to him really sloooooowly and have him run into the teeth of the defense! Doesn't everybody do it that way? Well maybe not but sooner or later PSU will perfect it. Imagine trying to add a little imagination to the running game. Why would anybody ever try and do that.
Certainly no toss sweeps either....not an RPO play.

Reactions: Dynoman
I am not exactly happy with losing against Ohio State and Michigan again. But this team is definitely the best team Franklin has had in my opinion. No, the offense doesn't impress me against a top five team. However, this year I was never worried about a trap game like years past.

I am not exactly happy with losing against Ohio State and Michigan again. But this team is definitely the best team Franklin has had in my opinion. No, the offense doesn't impress me against a top five team. However, this year I was never worried about a trap game like years past.

The Big Ten is truly horrible this year outside of the top 3. Beyond bad. I wouldn’t use that as a marker of good play.

Reactions: Grass and bdgan

There's next week yet.

Reactions: 1AA
Whatever we passed, it was too much.

Our 'passing game' cost us almost all our drives
We should have done what UM did. Our running game was rather effective with Allen in the game. I believe UM threw the ball 8 times today and completed 7 of them. Good ole fashioned fundamental football.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
The coaching staff always whittles away our chances at winning against tough competition. The end result … there is almost no chance of getting a win.

He's a smart guy but he seems to get tight shorts when faced with tough situations.
Franklin is way closer to Forrest Gump than Albert Einstein.
Tom Hanks Dipshit GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Grass
Bottom line is Franklin is a loser. He finds ways to lose games. Michigan was no better than PSU today. If offense had half a pulse PSU wins. The atrocious game plan, lack of situational awareness and 2 point and 4th down calls are inexcusable. How can any player on that roster have any faith in that clown?

I keep seeing posters complaining about running too much on 1st down, but they actually ran the ball really well today on 1st down. Heck they picked up nine yards on 1st down aon a drive and ended up punting. Running on 1st down was the least of their issues today on offense.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Bottom line is Franklin is a loser. He finds ways to lose games. Michigan was no better than PSU today. If offense had half a pulse PSU wins. The atrocious game plan, lack of situational awareness and 2 point and 4th down calls are inexcusable. How can any player on that roster have any faith in that clown?
3-17.

Reactions: bdgan
I keep seeing posters complaining about running too much on 1st down, but they actually ran the ball really well today on 1st down. Heck they picked up nine yards on 1st down aon a drive and ended up punting. Running on 1st down was the least of their issues today on offense.

Losing causes fans to gripe about multiple things without seeing the big picture.

Our passing game is inept. Our QB is not very accurate. Our WRs all have at least 1 flaw and only KLS seems to know the playbook. Our TEs aren't effective blockers, but we don't feature them in the passing game.

At the end of the day, the blame can go a lot of ways, but we have not had a great offense vs OSU and Michigan save for 2017 in the Franklin era. Key word AND. Common theme FRANKLIN.

Reactions: Grass and psu00
Losing causes fans to gripe about multiple things without seeing the big picture.

Our passing game is inept. Our QB is not very accurate. Our WRs all have at least 1 flaw and only KLS seems to know the playbook. Our TEs aren't effective blockers, but we don't feature them in the passing game.

At the end of the day, the blame can go a lot of ways, but we have not had a great offense vs OSU and Michigan save for 2017 in the Franklin era. Key word AND. Common theme FRANKLIN.
Ding Ding Ding!

And that flare to 4 to lose a yard is our 2023 offense in a nutshell.

Bruce Springsteen: One Step Forward and 2 Steps Back

Today, again, we paid the price for our 3rd place finish and Rose Bowl win last year.

Allar simply isn't ready.

Maybe next year...

Reactions: Grass
Today, again, we paid the price for our 3rd place finish and Rose Bowl win last year.

Allar simply isn't ready.

Something has to change. I've not seen anything that says we can grow from this year, add a few portal pieces, and beat OSU next year. We need to do 1 of 2 things:

1. Fire Yurcich. This card has been pulled, but we need a fresh playbook for JF to meddle with, minimally.

2. Go into the portal and get the best Jayden Daniels type run/pass threat QB that is out there for '24. The only chance we have vs a top 10 team is behind the improv of a QB who is a threat to run. Let Allar do what he may.

I think we see wholesale WR changes this off season regardless. For better or for worse, you have to go out and get some productive guys who can arrive BEFORE spring practice. Can any of the incoming freshman play? Opportunity will be there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT