ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Great Loop

meanmiJ01

Jan 2, 2003
Has anyone on here ever done it? I am probably 25 years away from retirement but this is something that is slowly rising to the top of my bucket list. Would love to hear any stories and advice on what to do to be able to accomplish this.

Has anyone on here ever done it? I am probably 25 years away from retirement but this is something that is slowly rising to the top of my bucket list. Would love to hear any stories and advice on what to do to be able to accomplish this.
OK, I googled it... for the uniformed (like I was minutes ago) the great loop is basically cruising on a boat from (I don't think the starting point matters) the great lakes, down to the gulf of Mexico, around the Florida Keys, up the east coast, and through New York state back to the great lakes.

I don't have a boat, but did take a cruise from Boston through the Canadian Maritime provinces and down the St. Lawrence river to Montreal. Nothing against the Hudson river, but I loved the Maritime provinces and would suggest that you add these on to the journey as well.

I'm not sure that it's something an old man should do, but I would love the idea of recreating Lewis and Clark's journey from St. Louis to the Pacific...

Last edited:

The bus at Penn State?

LdN

Reactions: Ranger Dan
probably no the right venue for that question. I'd ask it over at www.thehulltruth.com. that said we are considering it. I am more inland for the loop, but I have journied from Cincinnati, oh to Huntington WV via the Ohio river. it was a good trip. it really helps to be at least somewhat mechanical, and a lot of study and research
for exemple the Mississippi can flood and make it unnavigable, so where do you hole up.
Next would be the type of boat, fuel, etc. A great boat going slowly could get 6-7 miles per gallon. My boat running hard will get about a 1 mile per gallon.
There are sites dedicated to the great loop.

The bus at Penn State?

LdN

Exactly.

loop4.jpg

Done and done!

PSU1337_fleetops_102877.jpg

...and I thought it was going to a football game in every Big 10 stadium... :)

I’ve read a lot and started planning. Don’t think my wife will ever go, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT