ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What's your best ever memory from the race track?

BobE

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2001
I was 19. My HS buddies were going to Liberty Bell Race Track and invited me. Four Italians and Irishman and a Hungarian (me.) It was a chilly Nov evening but my Italian buddies were celebrating with stogos for all. I was dying from smoke inhalation and spent the trip with my nose pressed against a cracked rear window gasping for air. It was the loooongest ride I ever had! Didnt know if I would make it, but I did. As soon as we got out of the car I asked the Irishman for a pick in the first. ( we were running to get there in time to place our bets. The cocky sob ( as usual) says, "Uncle Alex is your horse." and gives me six reasons why he will win. So I put $5 on him across the board. ( Big money in those says....)

Race starts with Uncle Alex in last place by a mile. But then the lead horse breaks stride and knocks two others off stride, so they settle to the rear of the pack. Going into the 2nd turn another horse breaks stride and take three more with him to the back of the pack. So now Uncle Alex has moved up to 6th.

Heading into the next turn another horse breaks stride, takes two more with him, and Uncle Alex is up to 3rd.

Going into the final turn, the lead horse breaks stride and takes the 2nd place horse with him. Uncle Alex escapes to take the lead down the stretch. And Uncle Alex WINS the race by a friggin nose, holding off a wild charge by one of the other horses that broke stride. ie They ALL broke stride except for Uncle Alex and he barely wins.!!!!

I congratulated my Irish buddy as I headed to collect my winnings. Then I asked him how much did he bet. The sob says "I didnt bet on the first race. "

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News