ADVERTISEMENT

Football Outback Bowl Game Thread

"Missing stars" is in quotation marks?!?!? If you're implying Dotson, Brisker, Mustipher etc are not stars then there is no sense discussing football with you.
My reference to missing stars was referring to those that opted out for this game. Previous games, when those who opted out were playing,the team finished 2-5 after starting 5-0.

I realize my comment could be interpreted differently,but you don’t need to reply like that so early in a conversation.

Reactions: psu00
The biggest mistake today is having Franklin coaching this guy has no clue what to do half the time and people need to stop bitching about this player didn’t play and that player didn’t play I thought this would happen there’s always an excuse

Reactions: TheGLOV
Were Luketta and Jacob's playing when the Arkansas QB was running all over us?

I agree that we were outmanned. I just think we needed to bring the DBs to plug the run and dare them to beat us throwing. I also didn't like how our defenders kept falling for the fake handoff. At some point you have to stop the QB and make someone else beat us.
I don't understand though why at some point they didn't do everything possible to stop the QB run. A spy or whatever I am not a coach but anything to take the ball out of his hands. That 2nd string QB was not going to pass and it looks like he wanted to run with that speed he has and get to the edge. Just don't let him. Of course then the RB could rip off 20 yards but we never even got to that point.

Biggest disappointment today was the play of Clifford, the most experienced player for PSU, and I'm still am disappointed that Clifford is returning. This team needs to turn the corner from Clifford who has proven an adequate QB for a 2nd 20 team, but not a QB that could win B10 championships or adequately lead his team in a playoff game. With Clifford back PSU will have an experienced QB that could potentially lead PSU to 9 or 10 wins if the rest of the team fell into place, but not one that could lead PSU to be a title contender. It's time to move on and develop a better QB that has multiple years of eligibility going forward.

I would have at the top of the list of plays that resulted in this loss the overthrow of the wide open TE in the first half that would have been a TD and put PSU up 17-7 at the half. Clifford has consistently overthrown wide open deep targets his whole career and continues to do it at the tail end of his 5th season at PSU. He really almost overthrew the first long TD to KLS - a near perfect pass that he should have slightly underthrown to be sure he got the sure TD.

So I'm more disappointed with Clifford coming back than I am with the loss today. But I do believe the team could have shown better today with some better in game adjustments. Even in the 2nd half, the PSU D-line seemed to over pursue to one side leaving the field wide open for the QB or the RB run, almost consistently leaving gaping holes for north/south runs. Sure, the D missed AK, Tangelo, and Smith and Brooks from the front 7 but where was the coaching of the DL to stay in their gaps, coaching my son got at a youngster?

It's great that some young players got experience today, but right now I'm not too optimistic about the future of PSU's front 7 on Defense. This defense needs an influx of talent. Great that van den Burg got some PT at DT, but I don't see a difference maker at DT or DE. Who of the young DT's looked particularly strong today? Tarburton had some moments, but too many times this 4th year player was the worst offender in the DL getting pushed or suckered to one side and the play running right by where he should have been. The defense desperately needs Mustipher back, as well as a top DE transfer, and another DT transfer the caliber of Tangelo. A difference maker at Safety would help as well, such as Young or the kid from Northwestern.

On Offense, it starts and unfortunately likely ends with Clifford. The young WR's show promise, Washington had some highlight catches but has some limitations with his stature, but no 3rd WR showed up today. Meiga had a ball drop right into his hands but couldn't hang on. And the OL played par for the year, a few running lanes but were over matched trying to pass block. Arkansas is not a top 15 team and it PSU's QB's will take a pounding against any decent team until Franklin can recruit and develop better olinemen.

Sorry for the long vent, considering the game was what I was expecting, but it was not what I was hoping for.......
This is a great post. Clifford was lousy today and his performance was magnified by the weak offensive line and no running game. When he has to create and throw on the run he cannot do it. Combine that with his inconsistent accuracy and we have an unimpressive 3 year starter returning that limits our offensive potential.

On defense I was pleasantly surprised by the first half then we seemingly just totally ran out of gas. We should have been rested to begin the 2nd half but were totally unprepared for the QB run. Why could we not adjust and at least stop that play? Then to add insult to injury their second string QB comes in and just takes the ball and outruns everyone. You know he wants to run so do everything to eliminate that. In Franklin's post game presser he never addressed why they could not stop the QB run. Almost like there was nothing we could do.

We need help at LB and D line through the portal. We need Mustipher back and fully healthy and same for Issac. At LB it seems we swung snd whiffed at recruiting after Jacobs. Who else? Anyone we have now who can step up? Sutherland looks too small?

Next year's outlook took a hit after this game for sure. Clifford is somewhat of a liability and the defense has huge holes. My main concern is they are not that physical on both lines. I thought we would lose but was hoping we would show more fight. There is a blueprint to beat us by bullying us and we just take it. Franklin has to instill more toughness and grit into this program.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Biggest disappointment today was the play of Clifford, the most experienced player for PSU, and I'm still am disappointed that Clifford is returning. This team needs to turn the corner from Clifford who has proven an adequate QB for a 2nd 20 team, but not a QB that could win B10 championships or adequately lead his team in a playoff game. With Clifford back PSU will have an experienced QB that could potentially lead PSU to 9 or 10 wins if the rest of the team fell into place, but not one that could lead PSU to be a title contender. It's time to move on and develop a better QB that has multiple years of eligibility going forward.

I would have at the top of the list of plays that resulted in this loss the overthrow of the wide open TE in the first half that would have been a TD and put PSU up 17-7 at the half. Clifford has consistently overthrown wide open deep targets his whole career and continues to do it at the tail end of his 5th season at PSU. He really almost overthrew the first long TD to KLS - a near perfect pass that he should have slightly underthrown to a wide open receiver to be sure he got the sure TD.

So I'm more disappointed with Clifford coming back than I am with the loss today. But I do believe the team could have shown better today with some better in game adjustments. Even in the 2nd half, the PSU D-line seemed to over pursue to one side leaving the field wide open for the QB or the RB run, almost consistently leaving gaping holes for north/south runs. Sure, the D missed AK, Tangelo, and Smith and Brooks from the front 7 but where was the coaching of the DL to stay in their gaps, coaching my son got at a youngster? The end result was an embarrassing 350+ rushing yards by a mediocre Arkansas team.

It's great that some young players got experience today, but right now I'm not too optimistic about the future of PSU's front 7 on Defense. This defense needs an influx of talent. Great that van den Burg got some PT at DT, but I don't see a difference maker at DT or DE. Who of the young DT's looked particularly strong today? Tarburton had some moments at DE, but too many times this 4th year player was the worst offender in the DL getting pushed or suckered to one side and the play running right by where he should have been. The defense desperately needs Mustipher back and healthy, as well as a top physical DE transfer, and another DT transfer the caliber of Tangelo. A difference maker at Safety would help as well, such as Young or the kid from Northwestern.

On Offense, it starts and unfortunately likely ends with Clifford. The young WR's show promise, Washington had some highlight catches but has some limitations with his stature, KLS will continue to get better, but no 3rd WR showed up today. Meiga had a ball drop right into his hands but couldn't hang on. And the OL played par for the year, a few running lanes but were over matched trying to pass block. Arkansas is not a top 15 team and PSU's QB's will take a pounding against any decent team until Franklin can recruit and develop better olinemen and a cohesive oline.

Sorry for the long vent, considering the game was what I was expecting, but it was not what I was hoping for.......

I agree.

Reactions: GregInPitt
This is a great post. Clifford was lousy today and his performance was magnified by the weak offensive line and no running game. When he has to create and throw on the run he cannot do it. Combine that with his inconsistent accuracy and we have an unimpressive 3 year starter returning that limits our offensive potential.

On defense I was pleasantly surprised by the first half then we seemingly just totally ran out of gas. We should have been rested to begin the 2nd half but were totally unprepared for the QB run. Why could we not adjust and at least stop that play? Then to add insult to injury their second string QB comes in and just takes the ball and outruns everyone. You know he wants to run so do everything to eliminate that. In Franklin's post game presser he never addressed why they could not stop the QB run. Almost like there was nothing we could do.

We need help at LB and D line through the portal. We need Mustipher back and fully healthy and same for Issac. At LB it seems we swung snd whiffed at recruiting after Jacobs. Who else? Anyone we have now who can step up? Sutherland looks too small?

Next year's outlook took a hit after this game for sure. Clifford is somewhat of a liability and the defense has huge holes. My main concern is they are not that physical on both lines. I thought we would lose but was hoping we would show more fight. There is a blueprint to beat us by bullying us and we just take it. Franklin has to instill more toughness and grit into this program.

We need a D-Line that has 3-PJ Mustipher types with two more waiting in the wings to sub-out when called upon.

That needs to be addressed.

2-6 since starting 5-0. There are no words that will explain it or any uttered that will change the coaching philosophy. I don’t understand how nothing new is learned or improved during the season. This a total coaching failure to me.
It’s time to start over. Not only with tbe coaches…but we need football players…not “opt outers”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT