ADVERTISEMENT

Outside of PSU who else impressed in Week 0 and Week 1

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
PSU looked very good against WVU, very pleased with the impressive victory, with still some areas to clean up.

Other teams that looked good:

1) U of Miami - good lord did they shellack Florida in Florida. Their QB was playing like the 12 year old kid in an 8 year old neighbor game. Very impressive, offensively and defensively. I would rate Miami number 1 or Number 2 on the evidence presented so far in 2024.

2) Georgia started slow and then took Clemson out in Q3. Georgia #1, Miami #2.

3) Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, - all did what you are supposed to do and just spank the team that you are playing....winning by > 50.

4) Notre Dame who for years we heard about their tough schedule, but not this year..... there are 11 spots available for the playoff as ND just secured one of the spots with their win at Texas AM. Tough place to win but ND actually looked pretty good, especially on defense. Very fast, very aggressive defense coached by......... Al Golden. I would hate to do it, but would put ND in the top 5. Need Louisville to step up in a month and knock of ND as the rest of the schedule.....not so difficult. ND secondary was very good. They seemed to be somewhat similar to PSU where their safeties were all over the field making plays, helping in run defense, defending the pass.....very good defense. Pretty good offense, not yet sold on their QB who ran for more big plays than he threw. ND does have some backs that can run.

5) Ole Miss is a beast of a team.....we saw some of that last year in the bowl game probably as many players who will play pro ball outside of GA. Stacked roster. The only hope with Ole Miss is that their coach is enough of a risk taker....does he blow a game for Ole Miss, possibly? Ole Miss has player on top of player on top of player on that roster.

6) Not a great start for Michigan but they got through the game and pulled away at the end, and a brutal start for Florida State, U of F, Clemson and Texas AM. Traditional big 10 teams outside of PSU, MICH and tOSU did not do much, although offensive juggernaut Iowa put some points on the board.

Kyle McCord did well for Syracuse. Yeah, they played Ohio, but 27-39 354 4/1 is a good stat line in game 1 on a new team. Fran Brown announced he wanted to thank Ryan Day with a bottle of champagne for his services.

PSU looked very good against WVU, very pleased with the impressive victory, with still some areas to clean up.

1) U of Miami - good lord did they shellack Florida in Florida. Their QB was playing like the 12 year old kid in an 8 year old neighbor game. Very impressive, offensively and defensively. I would rate Miami number 1 or Number 2 on the evidence presented so far in 2024.

3) Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, - all did what you are supposed to do and just spank the team that you are playing....winning by > 50.

4) Notre Dame who for years we heard about their tough schedule, but not this year..... there are 11 spots available for the playoff as ND just secured one of the spots with their win at Texas AM. Tough place to win but ND actually looked pretty good, especially on defense. Very fast, very aggressive defense coached by......... Al Golden. I would hate to do it, but would put ND in the top 5. Need Louisville to step up in a month and knock of ND as the rest of the schedule.....not so difficult. ND secondary was very good. They seemed to be somewhat similar to PSU where their safeties were all over the field making plays, helping in run defense, defending the pass.....very good defense. Pretty good offense, not yet sold on their QB who ran for more big plays than he threw. ND does have some backs that can run.

5) Ole Miss is a beast of a team.....we saw some of that last year in the bowl game probably as many players who will play pro ball outside of GA. Stacked roster. The only hope with Ole Miss is that their coach is enough of a risk taker....does he blow a game for Ole Miss, possibly? Ole Miss has player on top of player on top of player on that roster.

6) Not a great start for Michigan but they got through the game and pulled away at the end, and a brutal start for Florida State, U of F, Clemson and Texas AM. Traditional big 10 teams outside of PSU, MICH and tOSU did not do much, although offensive juggernaut Iowa put some points on the board.
Yupp very accurate list. I'd add Texas to group 3. Week 1 didn't see many tough games but teams did what they were supposed to do

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Yupp very accurate list. I'd add Texas to group 3. Week 1 didn't see many tough games but teams did what they were supposed to do
forgot about Texas, you are correct they did what they were supposed to do....very stacked line up. Can they play with the big boys....time will tell.

Definitely looked the part of a contender yesterday.

Reactions: LandoComando
forgot about Texas, you are correct they did what they were supposed to do....very stacked line up. Can they play with the big boys....time will tell.

Definitely looked the part of a contender yesterday.
Texas - Michigan next week will be telling. I don't think Michigan is a playoff contender so we'll see how Texas handles them before their SEC schedule begins.

I was surprised with Oregon’s struggles vs Idaho. It was 17-14 about mid 4th qtr.

Miami - can't comment on them, didn't see even a second of this game. Florida suffers from A&M Syndrome: lot of highly recruited players, but they just don't ever win like they should. Canes handled business regardless though, and that's a positive.

Georgia - #1, without doubt. 2 quarters of futility and struggle, followed by 2 quarters of butt whooping. Clemson hasn't been the same since losing the 2 co-OCs and the DC from their playoff years (Elliot, Scott, and Venables). Dabo's refusal to utilize the portal makes a difference in his roster.

OSU - they actually had a rough outing with Akron for 2 1/2 quarters before their depth and physical skill eventually overwhelmed. The OL is still an issue run blocking. Defense is physical, but Moorhead had guys open. He just didn't have a QB (Buckeyes injured him twice yesterday) to throw.

Bama, Ole Miss, UT - lumped them together. They played essential preseason games. I only saw Ole Miss partially; they look excellent.

ND - we seem on the same page with them.

Michigan - defense is still excellent, but definitely has holes compared to last year. The offense is dog sheet. They don't have a QB who can pass (they finally let Orji throw; I now know why he isn't starting). Edwards still looks like a change of pace back. They had a pick 6 that made the score more respectable, but make no mistake about it: this group is a far cry from the '21 team and in a different dimension than the '22/'23 offense.

Mark these down:

Next week, Texas @ Michigan. I don't know that Michigan can score enough to win this.
9/21. Tennessee vs Oklahoma. USC vs Michigan. Separation Saturday.
9/28. UGA vs Bama will be fun.

Miami - can't comment on them, didn't see even a second of this game. Florida suffers from A&M Syndrome: lot of highly recruited players, but they just don't ever win like they should. Canes handled business regardless though, and that's a positive.

Georgia - #1, without doubt. 2 quarters of futility and struggle, followed by 2 quarters of butt whooping. Clemson hasn't been the same since losing the 2 co-OCs and the DC from their playoff years (Elliot, Scott, and Venables). Dabo's refusal to utilize the portal makes a difference in his roster.

OSU - they actually had a rough outing with Akron for 2 1/2 quarters before their depth and physical skill eventually overwhelmed. The OL is still an issue run blocking. Defense is physical, but Moorhead had guys open. He just didn't have a QB (Buckeyes injured him twice yesterday) to throw.

Bama, Ole Miss, UT - lumped them together. They played essential preseason games. I only saw Ole Miss partially; they look excellent.

ND - we seem on the same page with them.

Michigan - defense is still excellent, but definitely has holes compared to last year. The offense is dog sheet. They don't have a QB who can pass (they finally let Orji throw; I now know why he isn't starting). Edwards still looks like a change of pace back. They had a pick 6 that made the score more respectable, but make no mistake about it: this group is a far cry from the '21 team and in a different dimension than the '22/'23 offense.

Mark these down:

Next week, Texas @ Michigan. I don't know that Michigan can score enough to win this.
9/21. Tennessee vs Oklahoma. USC vs Michigan. Separation Saturday.
9/28. UGA vs Bama will be fun.
Good post....... Agree on ND and us looking similar. We may be better offensively due to Allar, ND offensive line is young, yet they played well against one of the best DL in America in College Station....pretty impressive.

Kyle McCord did well for Syracuse. Yeah, they played Ohio, but 27-39 354 4/1 is a good stat line in game 1 on a new team. Fran Brown announced he wanted to thank Ryan Day with a bottle of champagne for his services.
Always liked McCord but his lack of mobility really hurts his team at times. That new OSU QB - from Kansas State - is an upgrade as he can really run well and was accurate yesterday.

On a side note, that OSU true freshman WR (#4) - Smith - good God. That's all I'm saying

Texas - Michigan next week will be telling. I don't think Michigan is a playoff contender so we'll see how Texas handles them before their SEC schedule begins.
Michigan's defense is really solid but their whole new offense - including replacing their top 6 OL - is putrid. They only had 269 total yards yesterday against Fresno State. That just isn't going to get it done in the B1G. They could be headed to a mid B1G finish if that offense doesn't vastly improve

I watched a lot of the ND/A&M game and wasn't as impressed as you were. The A&M QB Weigman has potential but has lots of room to improve. He was 12-30 (40%) with no TD and 2 INT. Some of that was ND's defense but this was only Weigman's 10th game as a RS sophomore.

I agree that ND has a cakewalk to the playoff. They finish with USC on the road. They have 0-1 Florida State at home. I don't see how they can finish worse than 10-2.

I watched a lot of the ND/A&M game and wasn't as impressed as you were. The A&M QB Weigman has potential but has lots of room to improve. He was 12-30 (40%) with no TD and 2 INT. Some of that was ND's defense but this was only Weigman's 10th game as a RS sophomore.

I agree that ND has a cakewalk to the playoff. They finish with USC on the road. They have 0-1 Florida State at home. I don't see how they can finish worse than 10-2.
With Freeman they'll likely lose a game they shouldn't. Maybe 2.

PSU, OSU, Alabama, Georgia all did as expected ---- curb-stomping lesser opponents although WVU was better than some of the teams that OSU, Bama and Georgia etc... played. I believe all of those teams played a ton of reserve players which is the goal this early in the season

PSU, OSU, Alabama, Georgia all did as expected ---- curb-stomping lesser opponents although WVU was better than some of the teams that OSU, Bama and Georgia etc... played. I believe all of those teams played a ton of reserve players which is the goal this early in the season
WVU is better than Clemson????

WVU is better than Clemson????
Well, I didn't think so before yesterday, but yeah, Clemson might be a little better than WVU but they sure don't seem like the Clemson anymore from the mid 2010s. Maybe Georgia is just that good, though. Clemson just doesn't seem to have the superstar players like they used to pull in. I think Clemson is a program living on their past glory

Well, I didn't think so before yesterday, but yeah, Clemson might be a little better than WVU but they sure don't seem like the Clemson anymore from the mid 2010s. Maybe Georgia is just that good, though. Clemson just doesn't seem to have the superstar players like they used to pull in. I think Clemson is a program living on their past glory
Georgia is just that good. Clemson isn't elite or anything but they'd beat WVU

Reactions: RickinDayton
Georgia is just that good. Clemson isn't elite or anything but they'd beat WVU
Not arguing that but could be a better game than most would expect. I think the 3 elite teams in CF are Georgia, OSU and maybe Texas. I'm still debating just how good Oregon is right now - they might be the 4th elite

I thought a highly ranked Oregon looked pretty pedestrian against Idaho.
It was a weird game. Oregon moved the ball at will then couldn't finish drives. Idaho scored on 2 trick plays. Clearly they're not happy but We'll see if they're legit very soon

Excellent summary. Not a lot to disagree with there. The Irish got over a big early obstacle on the potential path to a playoff spot and looked solid doing it.

Looking forward to this game tonight between LSU and USC. Interesting intersectional match-up at a neutral site. Hoping to get an early read on how good USC is...or isn't...since they may be the 2nd toughest opponent on our schedule.

It was a weird game. Oregon moved the ball at will then couldn't finish drives. Idaho scored on 2 trick plays. Clearly they're not happy but We'll see if they're legit very soon
I read two of Oregon's OL starters were out with injuries and their Center against Idaho is a walk-on. Column said that is what caused their run game problems. If that is true then their OL depth must be very bad.

Excellent summary. Not a lot to disagree with there. The Irish got over a big early obstacle on the potential path to a playoff spot and looked solid doing it.

Looking forward to this game tonight between LSU and USC. Interesting intersectional match-up at a neutral site. Hoping to get an early read on how good USC is...or isn't...since they may be the 2nd toughest opponent on our schedule.
I watched 3 quarters of ND vs A&M. The A&M QB struggled with his passes when he had players open and got happy feet. A&Ms offense seems to be a work in progress which benefitted ND's experienced defense. ND has excellent LBers and secondary. ND's QB is an excellent runner, less of a passer. ND is deep @ RB with a young OL that will only get better. They had some problems against one of the best DLs in the country but their QB was able to scramble out of trouble when the pass pro broke down. The ND QB (transfer from Duke) has an injury history and I could see why, he kinda runs recklessly.

ND has a top 10 defense,

Reactions: PSU Soupy and Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT