ADVERTISEMENT

PA 21st as birthplace to NFL players by state

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
adjusted for population.

nfl-players-home-statespng-fb305c4df5b052b3.png

7th, not adjusted for population. 21 if adjusted for population, hit the link.

From a practical standpoint, being 7th seems to be far more important. The ratio isn't very meaningful for recruiting.

Being the 7th State means there are a greater number of players who may want to play locally and stay in their state.

Granted PA is a diverse state, where some ranked players may have some other loyalies. But it seems that starting with a higher level of talent in your state is good for the top team in the state.

Nobody would adjust by overall population which would be stupid because it ignores average age of the State's population - if you were going to adjust, you would adjust by "high school participants" in the state. In absolute terms or adjusting, called "normalizing" in statistics, by a logical factor (like # of overall participants per State, not total population) PA would be top 10. Oh btw, Pennsylvania is #1 in terms of all-time Hall of Fame Inductees.

Per capita means nothing.

Exactly!

They don't take into account that perhaps a third of the state population in the western areas, should be excluded. "Everyone knows" that instead of following football, they attend museums or the opera.

;)

7th, not adjusted for population. 21 if adjusted for population, hit the link.

For raw numbers of players, Pennsylvania is 7th.

What's interesting is that talent rich Texas, a state that is well over twice the combined geographical areas of Big Ten states Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Ohio only produces roughly 80% as many players.

I can only comment on what I see in PA, but kids that I have known got involved in sports like soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, baseball, rowing and hockey at a very early age. Most pick one and specialize in that sport and play it year round.

Of my kids friends, I've known exactly one who played football. All others played one of the other sports I listed.

At least that's what I see in the Philly burbs. I suspect that's the trend nationally, but maybe states like Ohio, Florida and Texas are different in that respect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT