ADVERTISEMENT

Pa. Dominance: Wrestling invented long before 2011...Clarion 1973..

Yeah. Math. They were ineligible for team scoring because they were division 2. They would have finished 3rd as is. You take the points they trailed by and add 3 wrestlers making it perhaps to blood rounds or placing and go from there. Stop reaching dude, someone else on this thread posted the same thing I did.
Oh, so you're an angry elf. If you go back and think about it you'll understand that I was referring to your new equation. The chip on your shoulder is probably getting heavy by having carried it around for so long.

The depth of PA talent 1970s thru 1980s was pretty special.Not just at in state colleges .An example would be 1982 at 134 NCAA s . Don Reese from Bloom wrestled CD Mock fro North Carolina in championship .
North Carolina State recruited District 11 hard because of Guzzo being from area. He had Matt Reiss win it all as a true freshman.

Reactions: danoftw
Did you know: In 1973 the CLARION STATE Golden Eagles had THREE NCAA CHAMPIONS?
134 Rohn
158 Schalles
167 Simpson

Yes folks, Pennsylvania has been the Mecca for wrestling for a very long time, and the main reason it took Penn State so long to wake up as the sleeping giant, was because we lacked the right coach. Our rightful place, for decades, was disturbed by IN STATE parity:
Clarion
Lock Haven
Wilkes
Pitt
Edinboro
East Stroudsburg
Penn
Lehigh

And many more. Folks, I am deeply sorry but Koll, Lorenzo, Fritz, Sunderland, etc were not the answers....It is about Cael AND its about our great state. It took both.
Just imagine what all of those wrestlers who likely stayed in the state did with instruction/coaching for all those years. I'd bet PA had off the charts AAs and it kept cycling through for years and years. Meanwhile some state to the west thought they had the best and thought our communities just learned about this sport when Cael came to town.

Just imagine what all of those wrestlers who likely stayed in the state did with instruction/coaching for all those years. I'd bet PA had off the charts AAs and it kept cycling through for years and years. Meanwhile some state to the west thought they had the best and thought our communities just learned about this sport when Cael came to town.
..and THANK YOU and McPat both because that was the entire point of my post. I was illustrating why Penn State was considered THE sleeping giant for so long, and was showing WHY, PSU had not been what they should have or could have been.

The talent pool was so widely spread out among so many Local Pennsylvania schools, and often times, Penn State actually had lesser talented teams or equal in terms of team points, to so many programs. Once Penn State became the top destination for the best wrestlers, the smaller programs lost some ground, but mainly Penn State became a team that went from a few top wrestlers, to an entire team full of top wrestlers.

Reactions: mcpat
Oh, so you're an angry elf. If you go back and think about it you'll understand that I was referring to your new equation. The chip on your shoulder is probably getting heavy by having carried it around for so long.
You were attacking me a$$hole. Most of the board has buried the hatchet with me and I can full well laugh at myself.

Can you laugh at yourself?

You would have been better off replying with this link, but that chip got in the way.

You were asking me to calibrate 3 scoring wrestlers that Clarion didn't have. That's unreasonable and you know it.

P.S. the "elf" comment hardly comes off as anything but an anonymous internet attack.
I'm 6'2 and 215 so I don't believe it'd quite accurate according to current elf standards but hey, maybe you're as big as Chris Taylor so there's that lol

You were asking me to calibrate 3 scoring wrestlers that Clarion didn't have. That's unreasonable and you know it.

P.S. the "elf" comment hardly comes off as anything but an anonymous internet attack.
I'm 6'2 and 215 so I don't believe it'd quite accurate according to current elf standards but hey, maybe you're as big as Chris Taylor so there's that lol
Again, you're just angry. Here is your quote: "New equation says 6 scoring wrestlers does it."

It was a joke. I was poking fun at MYSELF. McPat and a few others got the joke. You did not.
Again, settle down. I was messing with you and thought for sure you'd figure it out that PSU had already won with 6 scoring wrestlers, six years ago. I guess I was assuming a bit much.

Again, settle down. I was messing with you and thought for sure you'd figure it out that PSU had already won with 6 scoring wrestlers, six years ago. I guess I was assuming a bit much.
No, actually that was exactly what I was saying. I'm going to call this a misunderstanding and leave it there. There's too much other great stuff going on this off-season.

Back to making fun of Iowa.

Did you know: In 1973 the CLARION STATE Golden Eagles had THREE NCAA CHAMPIONS?
134 Rohn
158 Schalles
167 Simpson

Yes folks, Pennsylvania has been the Mecca for wrestling for a very long time, and the main reason it took Penn State so long to wake up as the sleeping giant, was because we lacked the right coach. Our rightful place, for decades, was disturbed by IN STATE parity:
Clarion
Lock Haven
Wilkes
Pitt
Edinboro
East Stroudsburg
Penn
Lehigh

And many more. Folks, I am deeply sorry but Koll, Lorenzo, Fritz, Sunderland, etc were not the answers....It is about Cael AND its about our great state. It took both.

True. Should have put it together decades ago. Temple had guys in the finals. Wilkes. Pitt Johnstown had a three time champ. Bloom had multiple champs.

You were since 6 years ago in 207 we had 8 scoring wrestlers. I don't think any of Cael's winning teams had only 6 scoring wrestlers.

You were since 6 years ago in 207 we had 8 scoring wrestlers. I don't think any of Cael's winning teams had only 6 scoring wrestlers.
2022:
AB, NLee, CStar, RBY, Dean and Kerk: 128 pts
Berge, Hildebrandt and Beau: 3.5 pts

Similar results in other years too

Jason Bryant has a great article about Pat Santoro, Brad Dillon, and Lehigh wrestling in general on InterMat.
It emphasized how the coaches returned to their roots, coming back to Bethlehem. I remember following both of them in HS, Santoro at BECAHI, and Dillon at Parkland/Emmaus. Jason writes about the great new facilities that have been built since Santoro became head coach. But he gives full credit to Grace Hall.
Grace Hall is my favorite place to watch a dual, I guess. It's a snake pit and the fans seem to be right on top of the mat. I've seen one or two great duals over the years there.
I remember seeing my brother carried off the mat with a neck brace and medical people while his girlfriend cried on my shoulder. He was slammed against Pitt. Won the bout by DQ.
I wasn't that concerned. I was there to see Mike Johnson wrestle Pat Smartt. As I recall, Smartt upset Johnson, who was at time, THE GOD of PA wrestling. That didn't last.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lionfan44
2022:
AB, NLee, CStar, RBY, Dean and Kerk: 128 pts
Berge, Hildebrandt and Beau: 3.5 pts

Similar results in other years too
We didn't NEED 8 scoring wrestlers but we GOT NINE scoring wrestlers. Rest assured of this: I go so completely insane in March that I'm griping unless we have TEN NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 😆 🤣 😂

• Haha
Jason Bryant has a great article about Pat Santoro, Brad Dillon, and Lehigh wrestling in general on InterMat.
It emphasized how the coaches returned to their roots, coming back to Bethlehem. I remember following both of them in HS, Santoro at BECAHI, and Dillon at Parkland/Emmaus. Jason writes about the great new facilities that have been built since Santoro became head coach. But he gives full credit to Grace Hall.
Grace Hall is my favorite place to watch a dual, I guess. It's a snake pit and the fans seem to be right on top of the mat. I've seen one or two great duals over the years there.
I remember seeing my brother carried off the mat with a neck brace and medical people while his girlfriend cried on my shoulder. He was slammed against Pitt. Won the bout by DQ.
I wasn't that concerned. I was there to see Mike Johnson wrestle Pat Smartt. As I recall, Smartt upset Johnson, who was at time, THE GOD of PA wrestling. That didn't last.
My first collegiate match I saw was in first grade when Penn State took on Lehigh in Grace Auditorium: It was about 85 degrees in there, and Terry DeStito got a controversial reversal to beat Jerry White 5-4.

Wasn't me. I haven't written for InterMat in 15 years. I did share the story in my Daily Wrestling Newsletter, though.

Reactions: hlstone
We didn't NEED 8 scoring wrestlers but we GOT NINE scoring wrestlers. Rest assured of this: I go so completely insane in March that I'm griping unless we have TEN NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 😆 🤣 😂
I think six wrestlers combining for 128 points and the other three combining for 3.5 points supports your latest thesis that it takes six scoring wrestlers.

• Haha
Reactions: Psugo823
My first collegiate match I saw was in first grade when Penn State took on Lehigh in Grace Auditorium: It was about 85 degrees in there, and Terry DeStito got a controversial reversal to beat Jerry White 5-4.
You had me reviewing old NCAA tournament results the other night. There was a pretty long period in the 70s-80s in which it can be argued Lehigh was the better of the programs.

You had me reviewing old NCAA tournament results the other night. There was a pretty long period in the 70s-80s in which it can be argued Lehigh was the better of the programs.
1960s too, Lehigh won EIWAs 5 times and PSU finished tied for 1st once. Also, Navy won 2 EIWA titkes.

• Wow
Reactions: Psugo823 and mcpat
No question about it. I still remember when Hoagie Sciabica rode Mike Frick for 5 minutes at rec hall giving him his only loss that year, Mike went on to win a National championship...

I think six wrestlers combining for 128 points and the other three combining for 3.5 points supports your latest thesis that it takes six scoring wrestlers.
Yes indeed, "My" thesis was always correct and to prove it I went back and deleted all 47 of my hysterical rants from 2018 on how we had no chance to win without 8 scoring wrestlers.

Does anybody else remember the old Clarion radio guy George Williams? One of the nicest old gentlemen I remember from those days when every single school had radio coverage of every dual meet and all post season tournaments...I clearly remember all 3 Packer brothers in the PIAA tournament, Mark Dugans incredible 13-11 comeback win for MO Valley in the 77 Piaa tournament...unfortunately I can't quite recall the kid who took me out in the districts, regionals AND piaa( I took.3rd in both district and regional) but I know he was a total animal and I was pretty decent but I couldn't beat ANYONE from Clinton County or district 4 lol...and thank God they blew up Bald Eagle Nittany cause that was where he was from lol..

We are actually friends now as middle age men but Jesus he was an awesome wrestler.

I grew up a Lehigh fan. It was easy to be a fan..Sunday matches were on TV. Local papers covered them well.
A note about my most favorite Lehigh wrestler. Daryl Burley was won the most dynamic wrestlers that I have ever watched. I believe his only losses were to National Champs. He won National title Freshman and Senior year. If I recall he hurt his wrist real bad (broken?) his junior year but still made a run at Championship. He was a scoring machine.

We’ve never seen anyone like Lord Spencer before!!!!
If you add in the lights he counted against Ramos, multiplied by the square root of the points difference between 3rd and 6th. Take that sum and apply the exponential of ACL tears. It's a record that won't be broken.

I'm sure there is some calculus in there, but that's why I am a geologist, not an engineer.

I grew up a Lehigh fan. It was easy to be a fan..Sunday matches were on TV. Local papers covered them well.
A note about my most favorite Lehigh wrestler. Daryl Burley was won the most dynamic wrestlers that I have ever watched. I believe his only losses were to National Champs. He won National title Freshman and Senior year. If I recall he hurt his wrist real bad (broken?) his junior year but still made a run at Championship. He was a scoring machine.
Channel 33 in Hershey also carried the Lehigh matches. I wound up liking Penn State more than Lehigh, mostly because of Andy Matter.

Reactions: nitlion6
If you add in the lights he counted against Ramos, multiplied by the square root of the points difference between 3rd and 6th. Take that sum and apply the exponential of ACL tears. It's a record that won't be broken.

I'm sure there is some calculus in there, but that's why I am a geologist, not an engineer.
His only earthly comparison is long dead and buried - embedded in the Devonian Shale layer of the geologic record

Sounds like Steiner Math.

Getting back to the source of this thread:
One of the greatest nights I spent at PIAA states was in 1988, I guess it was. That was unusual because NCAA finals were the same night as PIAA finals. That never happened but it did that night.
Throughout the night as the finals progressed, the announcer would tell us about another PA National champ.
118 Jack Cuvo East Str. 125 Jim Martin PSU 142 1st Pat Santoro Pitt / 2nd Sean O'Day Edinboro 150 Scott Turner NC State 158 Robb Koll NC 275 Carlton Hasselrig Pitt Johnstown

That was a big night for PA and the whole crowd got to be a part of it.

Channel 33 in Hershey also carried the Lehigh matches. I wound up liking Penn State more than Lehigh, mostly because of Andy Matter.
If I recall, Lehigh had a very good wrestler at 167, Jack Bentz who won Easterns twice, but Matter came along and beat him by a good margin.

Both were from Delaware County -- Bentz had a great career at Haverford School and Matter at Upper Darby.

One was from Delaware County; the other Delco.
Haha!

Well played (from a proud Delconian who grew up on the Delaware County/Delco borderlands)

Mom - Born and lived in Chester (Delco before there was a Delco)
First residence and Family Lineage - Aston (as Delco as it gets)
Main residence - Rose Valley/Moylan (part of the Delaware County/Delco DMZ).

Last edited:
One was from Delaware County; the other Delco.

801078151a4cc9417e7d0088e2a42440.jpg

• Haha
It would be Interesting to take the top PA wrestlers(one per weight) that attended PA universities and see what the team scores might be. A year by year break down would be cool

Yup - I’ve seen that map. Little Rose Valley on the border abutting Delco Brookhaven and next to the Wallingford/Springfield salient threatening Delco’s eastern strongholds of Ridley and Prospect Park.

I’m thinking Folcroft or Clifton Heights are peak Delco.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT