ADVERTISEMENT

PA Power Surge (PA’s Who’s #1)

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
This was some fun news. Pa power is holding a PA version of Who’s #1. It’s out in Marsteller’s gym in Reading. Some of the top matches are starting to surface. Most of Chances wrestlers are featured in it. He has a nice crop.
Connor Harer vs Colin Gaj (Main Event)
Brandt Harer vs Nick Oneil

Other breaking D4 news, Max Wirnsberger transferred to Warrior Run. This could make Warrior Run the favorites in D4 and a Medal contender at AA Team States. Stay tuned if the transfer gets approved or not.

This was some fun news. Pa power is holding a PA version of Who’s #1. It’s out in Marsteller’s gym in Reading. Some of the top matches are starting to surface. Most of Chances wrestlers are featured in it. He has a nice crop.

Other breaking D4 news, Max Wirnsberger transferred to Warrior Run. This could make Warrior Run the favorites in D4 and a Medal contender at AA Team States. Stay tuned if the transfer gets approved or not.
Transferred from where?

Where are you seeing the bouts for this. We have a guy who is supposed to be in it but don't know who his opponent is yet.

Max was a freshmen. He transferred before the start of his sophomore season. He should be fine.
I'm interested where he lived. Meadowbrook isn't a school district it's actually inside the Milton school district but anyone can go there it's a Christian school. If max lives in the warrior run school district then left meadowbrook is it really a transfer? That's assuming he lives in warrior run district and it runs right next to Milton school district

I'm interested where he lived. Meadowbrook isn't a school district it's actually inside the Milton school district but anyone can go there it's a Christian school. If max lives in the warrior run school district then left meadowbrook is it really a transfer? That's assuming he lives in warrior run district and it runs right next to Milton school district
Nick Kunstek "transferring" home feom Blair to Pottsville cost him the postseason last year.

I'd be surprised if Meadowbrook Christian didn't sign off on this. As a private school, they'd get no athletic enrollees if they denied exits.

The bigger surprise to me is them not living in the Lewisburg school district (one of the best in the state) when his father works there as the head coach at Bucknell.

I think they lived in Lewisburg district but could be Milton not positive. Recently built home in Warrior Run District. MBC is co-opting with Milton again.

No clue if was signed off on or not. I’d think there won’t be an issue but you never know.

Warrior Run is going to be sneaky good. Also don’t sleep on Montgomery. They are learning to play the game. Faith, NDGP, Reynolds,Chestnut Ridge, Burrell, McCruit, & McDevitt aren’t the only ones who can play the game.

Brock Rothermel Line Mtn vs Matthew O’Neill Malvern.

Keanu Dillard Becahi vs Lukas Littleton Mascaro Malvern.

Brock Rothermel Line Mtn vs Matthew O’Neill Malvern.

Keanu Dillard Becahi vs Lukas Littleton Mascaro Malvern.
Those are two good ones. Rothermel reppin D4. I heard Oneil is very tough. Rothermel & Harer Vs the Oneil bros

Dillard Vs Mascaro. I could be wrong but Mascaro has a win over Leo Deluca.

Warrior Run is going to be sneaky good. Also don’t sleep on Montgomery. They are learning to play the game. Faith, NDGP, Reynolds,Chestnut Ridge, Burrell, McCruit, & McDevitt aren’t the only ones who can play the game.
Faith Christian knows how to play the game better. Their whole team of monsters had nothing but freshmen and sophomores last year. Not resting on their laurels, FCA has the #2 and the #15 incoming freshmen in the country, according to Mat Scouts.

Rothermal from Line Mountain was the talk of the PJW qualifier last year. Its not often kids drive themselves to a MS tournament. The kid should be a Junior this year.

I didn’t know that. He is tough for sure. I don’t like it but it seems to be the norm to be older for your grade. I am the era of graduating at 17 turning 18, but that is a thing of the past.

Who is the last really good wrestler who wasn’t held back or older for their grade. Levi is about the only one in the last few years.

you’re either age eligible or you’re not. I’ll leave those decisions up to the parents. He most likely would’ve placed at states the past 2 years if that Makes you feel better.

you’re either age eligible or you’re not. I’ll leave those decisions up to the parents. He most likely would’ve placed at states the past 2 years if that Makes you feel better.
Agree with you. Sometimes you have to play the game. He would have placed the last two years.

Pjw not based on age, 9th grade and under, no HS experience, but I get it. Just tough to get much from a Sophmore beating up on 7th and 8th graders.

Reactions: BrockBronson
Pjw not based on age, 9th grade and under, no HS experience, but I get it. Just tough to get much from a Sophmore beating up on 7th and 8th graders.
Since when?
I remember it as
7/8
9/10
11/12
Then they added 13/14 maybe 7-8 years ago.
Is it my brain?

Since when?
I remember it as
7/8
9/10
11/12
Then they added 13/14 maybe 7-8 years ago.
Is it my brain?
They switched it a few years ago when JH became its own standalone event. It’s now primarily 7th and 8th grade, but does include 9th grade if they declared for MS at the beginning of the year.

Keystones, however, allows kids with varsity experience to wrestle their 13-15 division. I’m not fond of that personally, but to each their own.

They switched it a few years ago when JH became its own standalone event. It’s now primarily 7th and 8th grade, but does include 9th grade if they declared for MS at the beginning of the year.

Keystones, however, allows kids with varsity experience to wrestle their 13-15 division. I’m not fond of that personally, but to each their own.
Ok the more I thought about it, when my boys were wrestling it was
9/10
11/12
13/14

Then they made 13/14 into JH and added the 7/8.

I think EVERYTHING should be age based.

Last edited:
I didn’t know this either. That’s interesting. So you could have 16 yr olds and 12 yr olds in the same Ms bracket

Yes, a lot of the top guys are a year older. It’s beating a dead horse when they are studs either way. Most don’t need to do it but especially some of the smaller guys do when they aren’t sure how big they’ll be fr year. Just like kids transferring in somewhere and it getting pointed out. Southern and Benton and Montoursville used to get a ton of transfers around MS. Can’t even say I blame the kids or parents but it’s ok to point it ok. Go ahead and point out that kids are held back. Just don’t need comments like only won cuz he’s driving to MS tournaments when clearly it isn’t the case. It gets old.

Reactions: hlstone
Yes, a lot of the top guys are a year older. It’s beating a dead horse when they are studs either way. Most don’t need to do it but especially some of the smaller guys do when they aren’t sure how big they’ll be fr year. Just like kids transferring in somewhere and it getting pointed out. Southern and Benton and Montoursville used to get a ton of transfers around MS. Can’t even say I blame the kids or parents but it’s ok to point it ok. Go ahead and point out that kids are held back. Just don’t need comments like only won cuz he’s driving to MS tournaments when clearly it isn’t the case. It gets old.
I think this behavior needs to be called out as opposed to being accepted and told to move on. The definition of cheating is doing something to create an unfair advantage , seems clear that is what is being done. Sorry saying everyone else does it makes it ok is not ever an acceptable response for wrongdoing and is just rationalizing . On my son's wrestling team no one has been held back, it isn't as popular as folks make it seem. Once you start cheating with something small and acceptable it gradually becomes easier to rationalize bigger stuff later

Dont put words in my mouth, I never said he only won because he's driving. I said he was the talk of the tournament when he drove himself there.

To me its no different than steroids being illegal. Its already tough in MS because some kids are generally 12-14, some have hit puberty, some havnt. Then you throw in a double holdback that is 16 and its the same result as taking performance enhancing drugs, literally. He's not a 90lb kid either, he's 120lbs. The kid is a stud, Im positive he works hard and probably wasnt his idea, but its completely against everything most wrestlers are about.

Reactions: Ski
The worst ever: a wrestler held back, taking roids and going to a private school. That’s a nightmare.

Just kidding, I agree and not a fan of the hold back or growth hormone.

I still can’t get over the idea of the kid driving to MS areas. I thought you were joking. That’s crazy.
Could be the bus drivers for this Ms football team

Reactions: jpsolo
I think this behavior needs to be called out as opposed to being accepted and told to move on. The definition of cheating is doing something to create an unfair advantage , seems clear that is what is being done. Sorry saying everyone else does it makes it ok is not ever an acceptable response for wrongdoing and is just rationalizing . On my son's wrestling team no one has been held back, it isn't as popular as folks make it seem. Once you start cheating with something small and acceptable it gradually becomes easier to rationalize bigger stuff later
But it’s not cheating. It’s not against the rules. Sure call it out. But it’s not illegal.

Any kid driving to areas is not eligible their senior year.
For PA, the rule that I came across is this:

To be eligible to participate in grades 10 through 12, you must not have reached your 19th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.

When I was in high school -- many years ago -- the freshmen didn't play with the varsity or even the JVs in football nor basketball.

It seems that what is being said it that, recognizing the value of an age restriction for high school sports, there should be restrictions for younger age groups such as those in middle school.

To extrapolate the rule above:

To be eligible to participate in grade 9, you must not have reached your 16th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year; and,

To be eligible to participate in grade 7 and 8, you must not have reached your 15th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.

Level the playing field.

Reactions: Ski
For PA, the rule that I came across is this:

To be eligible to participate in grades 10 through 12, you must not have reached your 19th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.

When I was in high school -- many years ago -- the freshmen didn't play with the varsity or even the JVs in football nor basketball.

It seems that what is being said it that, recognizing the value of an age restriction for high school sports, there should be restrictions for younger age groups such as those in middle school.

To extrapolate the rule above:

To be eligible to participate in grade 9, you must not have reached your 16th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year; and,

To be eligible to participate in grade 7 and 8, you must not have reached your 15th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.

Level the playing field.
Unfortunately, this is a country where there is never a level playing field. Beating the system is the American way. Ignoring the rules has become the norm for much of the country.

Reactions: ChillW

PJW junior high division is 15u as of January 1st and no varsity experience.

Keystone has a 13-14 division and a 15-16 division. No restrictions on varsity experience for any of the divisions.

I have no objections to either format. Club duals and off season tournaments are more competitive that most high school events.

I much prefer age-based for everything before HS. So many top kids have been held back twice recently, and it's absurd for national caliber 15.5 year old wrestlers to be wrestling in MS tournaments and first period TF'ing their was through a filed of primarily 12 and 13 year olds. Yes, some of these kids would have placed at PIAAs, but frankly that's where they should have been competing.

True Power is a super cool event and a great opportunity to showcase PA's top HS talent. But, when so much of that top HS talent hasn't even started 9th grade, it should make us think about our priorities. Do we really think the kids who are going to be wrestling under the lights at Rec Hall wouldn't be there if not for being held back?

Reactions: kingslayer_85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT