ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 -- No games played yet and already a cancellation

If they rapid test everyday, i don't see the reason for the quaranting.
I think the answer may have something to do with the apparent fact that the Coronavirus has an incubation period of 1 to 4 days, in which the infected person is often (usually?) symptom free. The Cal player whose positive diagnosis touched off this whole thing was reportedly asymptomatic.

Really? Rapid tests give a quick result. They also are notoriously inaccurate. In addition, the incubation period for COVID-19 has shown to be around 14 days. So those teammates could be rapidly tested for a week and also test negative, and then suddenly the majority of them could test positive at 8 days, 10 days, 12 days, etc., and then anyone they've been in contact with over those X number of days would also be at increased risk, and need to quarantine (as well as anybody they had been in contact with after they had been in contact with the person that tested positive).
Tom: Isn't the incubation period much shorter than 14 days? I thought 14 days was the amount of time it typically takes, absent complications, for Covid-19 to fully run its course. (??)

Last edited:
but the whole point is they are testing daily, so next day is either positive or negative. obviously if you test positive you quarantine. but the person who was 'just around' the positive, i am not sure why they are quarantining if tested daily.
Exactly right! This is why the B10 agreed to reverse their decision and play this season. They could significantly control the spread by testing daily. Sure, there could be some false negatives, but there could also be some false positives. The initial positive test would then require a more sophisticated test (pcr I believe) to confirm whether or not the positive rapid test was accurate.

In theory, this would greatly reduce the number of players who had to be quarantined via contact tracing.

I think the answer may have something to do with the apparent fact that the Coronavirus has an incubation period of 1 to 4 days, in which the infected person is often (usually?) symptom free. The Cal player whose positive diagnosis touched off this whole thing was reportedly asymptomatic.

no argument the person that test positive has to sit out regardless of symptomatic or not. the point is they are quarantining everybody that had contact with him. i don't see why that has to happen if you are testig those people daily. contact tracing is to allow people that don't have the luxury of being tested daily to self quarantine or know they need to go get tested. if the team and staff are being tested daily, just don't understand the quarantining of people who are NOT testing positive

Make that two Pac-12 games canceled in week #1

Arizona Wildcats-Utah Utes football game canceled due to COVID-19 cases, contact tracing

The season-opening football game between Utah and Arizona, scheduled for Saturday, has been canceled after multiple Utes players tested positive for COVID-19, leaving the team without enough available scholarship players due to isolation and quarantine protocols for contact tracing.
It is the second cancellation ahead of the Pac-12's delayed opening weekend in as many days, following Thursday's announcement that Cal could not host Washington as several players, including an entire position group, were quarantined for contact tracing.

Tom: Isn't the incubation period much shorter than 14 days? I thought 14 days was the amount of time it typically takes for Covid-19 to fully run its course. (??)

"Incubation period
The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days, with a median time of 4-5 days from exposure to symptoms onset.(1-3) One study reported that 97.5% of people with COVID-19 who have symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of SARS-CoV-2 infection."

"How soon after I'm infected with the new coronavirus will I start to be contagious?
The time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is thought to be three to 14 days, though symptoms typically appear within four or five days after exposure."

the point is they are quarantining everybody that had contact with him. i don't see why that has to happen if you are testig those people daily. contact tracing is to allow people that don't have the luxury of being tested daily to self quarantine or know they need to go get tested.

that's fundamentally inaccurate, on multiple levels.

as I indicated in an earlier response, people are asked/required to quarantine after exposure due to the incubation timeframe of COVID-19. Contact testing is not limited to just those that can't be tested daily. It's a public health initiative based on the incubation timeframe of COVID-19 as well as the inaccuracy of rapid testing.

Reactions: Grant Green
Washington Huskies-California Golden Bears game canceled because of coronavirus case

Saturday's football season opener between the California Golden Bears and Washington Huskies has been canceled after a Cal player tested positive for the coronavirus, the Pac-12 announced Thursday.

"The Pac-12 has approved a request from Cal to cancel the Washington at Cal football game scheduled for November 7," the Pac-12 said in a statement. "This decision was made under the Pac-12's football game cancellation policy due to Cal not having the minimum number of scholarship players available for the game as a result of a positive football student-athlete COVID-19 case and resulting isolation of additional football student-athletes under contact tracing protocols."

Cal reported the case after a daily antigen test came back positive and was then confirmed through a PCR test.
So incompetent they make the Big10 look smart...no easy feat!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT