ADVERTISEMENT

Pan Am Games THREAD

A couple of masters at hand fighting neutralize each other...

Can someone give me a legend for UWW match results? What's VP01? All the others? I'm usually pretty good at the Google, but this has eluded me...
I don't understand FS....I have watched matches with significantly more shot attempts where wrestlers are put on the clock. What were these guys doing differently to avoid the shot clock? Honest question...not trying to be snarky...

Reactions: nerfstate
I don't understand FS....I have watched matches with significantly more shot attempts where wrestlers are put on the clock. What were these guys doing differently to avoid the shot clock? Honest question...not trying to be snarky...
While I agree sometimes people are put on the clock and it's bizarre, I think the impetus is after about a minute of no scoring, someone is supposed to go on it. So here it seems the ref was bending the rules to let an aggressive contest be decided by the wrestlers. A good choice, IMO, both held center very well, and were constantly working for better position.

Last edited:

I believe it has less to do with who takes shots and more to do with who has their back to the inner circle. As long as you have your back to the inner, smaller circle you are considered to be pushing the action because you're moving forward. The guy taking the shots who has his back to the outer circle more often will be put on the shot clock.

I believe it has less to do with who takes shots and more to do with who has their back to the inner circle. As long as you have your back to the inner, smaller circle you are considered to be pushing the action because you're moving forward. The guy taking the shots who has his back to the outer circle more often will be put on the shot clock.
I think that's been a problem for US wrestlers in international FS in the past. US wrestlers often back up at times in order to set up shots; they're actually being more aggressive in action, while backing up a bit. Our guys tend to like to shoot more with open space. But this style gets penalized in FS, and a clinching, bullish, slowly moving forward wrestler is viewed as the aggressor. I think we're getting better at avoiding the passivity calls as time goes on.

I think that's been a problem for US wrestlers in international FS in the past. US wrestlers often back up at times in order to set up shots; they're actually being more aggressive in action, while backing up a bit. Our guys tend to like to shoot more with open space. But this style gets penalized in FS, and a clinching, bullish, slowly moving forward wrestler is viewed as the aggressor. I think we're getting better at avoiding the passivity calls as time goes on.

This^^^^also helps the USA has more talent now overall than at just about any other time in history, great time for USA Wrestling and the Talent is really young for the Most part. We aren’t going anywhere Putin!

Can someone give me a legend for UWW match results? What's VP01? All the others? I'm usually pretty good at the Google, but this has eluded me...

Thanks for posting video. Man crush on David Taylor. I emotionally live and die with his wins and losses, respectively.

So Torreblanca is coming to Beat the Streets, but at 92Kg. Wonder if we might see another PSU guy, who may or may not be on his way up a weight class, as the matchup? Would be a good test to see if ol' noodle arms can handle some seriously girthy legs...

So Torreblanca is coming to Beat the Streets, but at 92Kg. Wonder if we might see another PSU guy, who may or may not be on his way up a weight class, as the matchup? Would be a good test to see if ol' noodle arms can handle some seriously girthy legs...

I think this might be a mistake by Flo. They list him at 92 kg/189 pounds, but 189 pounds = 86kg

Reactions: nerfstate
That would make sense. Except dude's legs look about 90lbs each IMO.

Can anyone explain the move that was used to take David down? I couldn’t see it clearly. Was it an arm drag?

Can anyone explain the move that was used to take David down? I couldn’t see it clearly. Was it an arm drag?
With Torreblanca broken down, DT pushed toward the edge. When Torreblanca pushed back DT gave way and then easily spun behind. Didn't need an arm b/c Torreblanca kind of fell forward and put himself out of position.

Reactions: Dogwelder
With Torreblanca broken down, DT pushed toward the edge. When Torreblanca pushed back DT gave way and then easily spun behind. Didn't need an arm b/c Torreblanca kind of fell forward and put himself out of position.
I think Dogwelder was asking about Torreblanca's TD. I only saw it once, but it looked to me like a kind of a shrug.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I think Dogwelder was asking about Torreblanca's TD. I only saw it once, but it looked to me like a kind of a shrug.
D'oh. So much for my reading comprehension. It's tough to tell from that camera angle but it looked like it must've been a very nicely timed arm drag. Leading up to that both guys were moving, head snapping, circling, and I think DT was already moving the way Torreblanca turned him.

Thank you Tom and Tikk!

I’ve re-watched it on a big screen instead of my phone, and I think you guys are right. Torreblanca’s left hand was uncharacteristically totally free, and went into the shadow under David’s chest, and then David abruptly surged head first across and down. Only a drag could cause that violent acceleration. And how could David’s collar-tie left arm have been so draggable? It must’ve been a shrug by Torreblanca that freed David’s arm. Basic stuff for you guys, but it took me many viewings plus your words to understand.

I'm curious as to what necessarily makes the Pan Am games so much bigger than the U.S. open, aside from international competition.

I ask because UNI's own, Joe Colon, won both titles this year, and not even a mention of his open title was mentioned on IAwrestle, UNI's website, AND our local newspaper!

Seems odd to me.

I'm curious as to what necessarily makes the Pan Am games so much bigger than the U.S. open, aside from international competition.

I ask because UNI's own, Joe Colon, won both titles this year, and not even a mention of his open title was mentioned on IAwrestle, UNI's website, AND our local newspaper!

Seems odd to me.
From a competitive standpoint the US Open is much tougher on the whole than the Pan Am games. Now, DT might beg to differ, but there is an occasional exception!

Pan-Am Championships (not an Olympic qualifier) and Pan-Am Games (Olympic year qualifier to get weight qualified for the Games) are different events, I believe.

Games are important. Usually tougher, I think.

From a competitive standpoint the US Open is much tougher on the whole than the Pan Am games. Now, DT might beg to differ, but there is an occasional exception!
Joe Colon walked threw pan ams and had some great battles at the open so he's probably an exception

The Colon Garrett match is my vote for freestyle match of the year so far.

Reactions: 1AA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT