ADVERTISEMENT

Paterno Beer a Hit!

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
here's a link to the article, but if you don't want to click on Pennlive, here's the text:

Soon, the beer adorned by images of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno will be judged the same as all others. The outside of the can will honor a Nittany Lion legend, but the taste of the Vienna-style lager contained inside will ultimately carry the product beyond its projected release the third week of August.

The Paterno Legacy Series lager is being produced by Duquesne Brewing Company, a once-defunct brand rejuvenated by Pittsburgh-area attorney Mark Dudash in 2010, through a joint venture with the Paterno family. The Paterno brew is best described as a red lager with no aftertaste, according to Dudash.

"Basically, it's a red lager with a mild caramel taste, very smooth," Dudash said. "We used 100 percent two-row barley. It gives you a really smooth taste with no aftertaste on your tongue.

"It's smooth as silk. It's not going to be overly hopped, but it's going to have a mild bite to it, just enough. It's going to be a very, very drinkable beer that you can just enjoy."

The price point for the Paterno Series lager is a moving target and could vary from store to store, according to George Bradley, general manager of Westy's in Camp Hill, which was picked as the brand's wholesaler in the midstate. The beer will be available in 12-packs of 12-ounce cans at the Westy's location for somewhere in the $12-14 range, Bradley said, but could fluctuate at other locations.

"The thing that's hard about it is," Bradley said, "I can control what we do in our store, but by the time it hits other retailers, others might up-charge for it as a collectible. You never really know."

A year-long venture between the Duquesne Brewing Company and the Paternos is coming to fruition in just a few short weeks. The two sides had to work through government red tape and intellectual property issues to reach the verge of distributions, in addition to fine-tuning what Bradley, a Penn State graduate, called "a completely new formula."

Dudash last summer pitched the idea to the Paternos, who agreed to a pact with a charitable component, Jay Paterno said. The charity will be picked by Sue Paterno if or when the brew begins to generate proceeds. Westy's will also donate a portion of its proceeds to the same charity.

But while the fight continues to restore Joe Paterno's legacy after his dismissal from Penn State as part of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, the beer isn't part of a grand public relations strategy, even if it puts the coach's accomplishments literally in the palms of beer drinkers' hands.

"They wanted to honor him," Jay Paterno said. "That was really something they brought to us. It's certainly going to be fun to be involved with. If people learn something about him, great.

"Since they approached us a year go, a lot has changed in a year with the narrative. Mark is not a Penn State guy. He's a Notre Dame fan. He's not Penn State crazy. He's not Joe Paterno crazy. He lived in the state state and understood the impact Joe had. That's where it came from."

If there was concern of any backlash, it didn't take long to disappear, to the point where Dudash has been stunned by the product's early success. The expectation was to sell out an initial run of 500 barrels by late September, but through pre-sales alone, over 2,800 barrels have already been sold without even venturing into Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

"Jay and I are looking at that number and starting to laugh," Dudash said.

The level of demand has expanded product offerings into half and one-sixth kegs, which means the Paterno lager will pop up in local watering holes, too. While the can design has been released to the public, art for tap handles is still in development, Dudash said.

"I've never seen anything like this, and I've been in the beer industry long time," Dudash said. "It just doesn't happen this easy. Something special is in the making. I just said to Jay, 'There's a guardian angel up in heaven somewhere.' What's going on right now, it just doesn't happen. This thing is crazy."

Of course, the sustainability of the product will come back to taste. The point will come when the novelty wears off and all that's left is the product. Dudash and Jay Paterno are realistic about the expectations, but still eyeing a run of success that lasts well beyond the fall.

"It's one of those things, there's no beer that everybody likes no matter what," Jay Paterno said. "We're not going to satisfy everybody."

"We want to build a brand," Dudash added. "We're not a one-and-done."

The usual trolls in the comments with the usual BS. You think after 4 years of telling lies they would tire by now.

Reactions: simons96
won't link Pennlive, here's the text:

Soon, the beer adorned by images of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno will be judged the same as all others. The outside of the can will honor a Nittany Lion legend, but the taste of the Vienna-style lager contained inside will ultimately carry the product beyond its projected release the third week of August.

The Paterno Legacy Series lager is being produced by Duquesne Brewing Company, a once-defunct brand rejuvenated by Pittsburgh-area attorney Mark Dudash in 2010, through a joint venture with the Paterno family. The Paterno brew is best described as a red lager with no aftertaste, according to Dudash.

"Basically, it's a red lager with a mild caramel taste, very smooth," Dudash said. "We used 100 percent two-row barley. It gives you a really smooth taste with no aftertaste on your tongue.

"It's smooth as silk. It's not going to be overly hopped, but it's going to have a mild bite to it, just enough. It's going to be a very, very drinkable beer that you can just enjoy."

The price point for the Paterno Series lager is a moving target and could vary from store to store, according to George Bradley, general manager of Westy's in Camp Hill, which was picked as the brand's wholesaler in the midstate. The beer will be available in 12-packs of 12-ounce cans at the Westy's location for somewhere in the $12-14 range, Bradley said, but could fluctuate at other locations.

"The thing that's hard about it is," Bradley said, "I can control what we do in our store, but by the time it hits other retailers, others might up-charge for it as a collectible. You never really know."

A year-long venture between the Duquesne Brewing Company and the Paternos is coming to fruition in just a few short weeks. The two sides had to work through government red tape and intellectual property issues to reach the verge of distributions, in addition to fine-tuning what Bradley, a Penn State graduate, called "a completely new formula."

Dudash last summer pitched the idea to the Paternos, who agreed to a pact with a charitable component, Jay Paterno said. The charity will be picked by Sue Paterno if or when the brew begins to generate proceeds. Westy's will also donate a portion of its proceeds to the same charity.

But while the fight continues to restore Joe Paterno's legacy after his dismissal from Penn State as part of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, the beer isn't part of a grand public relations strategy, even if it puts the coach's accomplishments literally in the palms of beer drinkers' hands.

"They wanted to honor him," Jay Paterno said. "That was really something they brought to us. It's certainly going to be fun to be involved with. If people learn something about him, great.

"Since they approached us a year go, a lot has changed in a year with the narrative. Mark is not a Penn State guy. He's a Notre Dame fan. He's not Penn State crazy. He's not Joe Paterno crazy. He lived in the state state and understood the impact Joe had. That's where it came from."

If there was concern of any backlash, it didn't take long to disappear, to the point where Dudash has been stunned by the product's early success. The expectation was to sell out an initial run of 500 barrels by late September, but through pre-sales alone, over 2,800 barrels have already been sold without even venturing into Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

The level of demand has expanded product offerings into half and one-sixth kegs, which means the Paterno lager will pop up in local watering holes, too. While the can design has been released to the public, art for tap handles is still in development, Dudash said.

"I've never seen anything like this, and I've been in the beer industry long time," Dudash said. "It just doesn't happen this easy. Something special is in the making. I just said to Jay, 'There's a guardian angel up in heaven somewhere.' What's going on right now, it just doesn't happen. This thing is crazy."

Of course, the sustainability of the product will come back to taste. The point will come when the novelty wears off and all that's left is the product. Dudash and Jay Paterno are realistic about the expectations, but still eyeing a run of success that lasts well beyond the fall.

"It's one of those things, there's no beer that everybody likes no matter what," Jay Paterno said. "We're not going to satisfy everybody."

I would think that this has to help the Paterno case against Emmert and the NCAA. Any thoughts on this?

won't link Pennlive, here's the text:

Do you think there is a way I could get some shipped down to Florida. I would like to try and get some as a gift for a couple of my PSU friends we watch games with down here. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Do you think there is a way I could get some shipped down to Florida. I would like to try and get some as a gift for a couple of my PSU friends we watch games with down here. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

not sure but would love a case here in Tejas!

I saw somewhere that they are going to ship varied sizes of kegs and mini-kegs. Get a friend up here to buy it and ship it if not available where you live.

another decent thread tainted by CR66. He's like that little kid that will join your group at lunch and crap his pants, then smile as he wallows in his own waste. NO ONE LIKES HIM, and he relishes in his douchiness and lack of social skills.

Reactions: ralpieE
I saw somewhere that they are going to ship varied sizes of kegs and mini-kegs. Get a friend up here to buy it and ship it if not available where you live.

Smokey and the Bandit style of course.

Helps it? It discredits any claim the estate may make of commercial disparagement.
Pennsylvanians consume about 1,000,000 barrels of beer per month. Still think it's a raging hit flying off the shelves? Even the brewer and Jaypa aren't certain it will be a SUSTAINABLE commercial success once the novelty wears off.

My father in law owns a bar and restaurant in Wyoming, PA. I'm going to see if he can do that for me. Don't know why I didn't think of asking him before. :)

The real question - is this beer any good? When the hype is about the packaging rather than the product, I'm skeptical.

It was explained to you on Penn LIve and further up in this thread. Also in the Scott Superior Court thread, but you already know that.

Really? Well why don't you give me YOUR executive summary considering all I can find in this thread are passages that support my contention. For example:

"If there was concern of any backlash, it didn't take long to disappear, to the point where Dudash has been stunned by the product's early success."

How does such glowing remarks help the prosecution prove that there was significant harm to the commercial endeavors of the estate? Go ahead jazzbow I'm listening. crickets chirping.

Laughing at you! Why don't you go hide behind the monitors skirt like the sissy you are and ask to have your thread deleted like the last time.

What a hoot.... Guess you forgot about your post a few weeks ago where you posted a pic of Dem's law firm. He thanked you for the free advertising and asked if you would like your identity posted. (Everything being fair, right?) Funny how quickly that entire post disappeared and now here you are, like a 2nd grader, calling out someone else for the same thing. How does that skirt taste?

What a hoot.... Guess you forgot about your post a few weeks ago where you posted a pic of Dem's law firm. He thanked you for the free advertising and asked if you would like your identity posted. (Everything being fair, right?) Funny how quickly that entire post disappeared and now here you are, like a 2nd grader, calling out someone else for the same thing. How does that skirt taste?

the guy craps his pants all over this board, then plays internet tough guy when people don't want to wallow in the stench of his waste

Really? Well why don't you give me YOUR executive summary considering all I can find in this thread are passages that support my contention. For example:

"If there was concern of any backlash, it didn't take long to disappear, to the point where Dudash has been stunned by the product's early success."

How does such glowing remarks help the prosecution prove that there was significant harm to the commercial endeavors of the estate? Go ahead jazzbow I'm listening. crickets chirping.
It's marketing hype Einstein. Do you also stay up until 3:00 am to watch commercials about fly fishing equipment that folds in your pocket, kitchen knives that will cut through prison bars and spray adhesive that repairs row boats?

It's marketing hype Einstein. Do you also stay up until 3:00 am to watch commercials about fly fishing equipment that folds in your pocket, kitchen knives that will cut through prison bars and spray adhesive that repairs row boats?
Oh crap. I just ordered all that stuff

You know, I am not jumping in on any side here. I'm a pacifist for the most part...joined the National Guard to get out of Vietnam. So I've been around for awhile, and I started reading the Plot-It board a long time ago and finally joined BWI so I could post once in awhile. I don't have all that many posts considering how long I have been reading the board. When I see someone has been on the board for a month or two and already has several hundred posts, I know someone has a lot to say. I always figured the ones with the most to say, end up saying the least.

Anyway, I'm here because I have loved Penn State from the day I stepped onto campus as a freshman. I love everything about it, including football. I think most of us here can say the same thing. I also expect that with a group as large as BWI, we probably populate the entire political spectrum, but we have been able to agree to disagree. And in the pre-Sandusky scandal days we we able to take opposite sides without rancour. Whether it was politics, sportscasters, other teams, the Big Ten, sPitt, or whatever, our differences were respected here.

I do not know Cruisin 66 personally, but I have come to know him over the last 10-15 years or so from his posts, and I have found him to be an intelligent, cultured person. I understand that he has a different view than many of the disaster that was Sandusky/BOT/Freeh/Erickson/NCAA confluence of events. So what?

I think I miss the common cause we had before the Sandusky scandal. I miss the intelligence of Shrink, the laughs we had about Austin Nit's "predicaments," and the civility of the discussions. I'm not a "Can't we all just live in peace person," but I learned that if I don't have something nice to say about a person, then say nothing.

In the end, after all the court cases have ended (and I hope they end well for the Paterno family, as well as for Spanier/Schultz and Curley,) we will be forced to deal with fans who have an entire spectrum of beliefs that are now long established. And while I hope we can change the majority of minds, I realize that we will be living in a world in which opinion about Joe will always be split. And we will have to learn to live with that. I hope we can respect each other despite of differing opinions if only for what we have in common...Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT