ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State could have 17 or 18 consensus four-star signings in December for its class of 2022.

BWI PHIL GROSZ

May 29, 2001
Penn State now has received verbal commitments from 17 players from the class of 2022 that have received a four-star ranking from at least one Internet Recruiting Service. Rivals.com now has 13 players that have verbally committed to Penn State that have been given four-star status.

Three players among those 17 players that have at least one Internet Recruiting Service with a four-star ranking, that Rivals presently has given a 5.6 or 5.7 three-star ranking, who I believe Rivals will upgrade to four-star status before the Early Signing Period in December are: FS/SS K.J. Winston [6-2, 205] from Hyattsville [Md.] DeMatha Catholic, QB Drew Allar [6-5, 228] from Medina, Ohio and BCB Camron Miller [6-0, 185] from Jacksonville [Fla.] Trinity Christian Academy.

Let's discuss Winston first.

Hyattsville [Md.] DeMatha Catholic head football coach, Bill McGregor, has been a close personal friend of mine for the past 25 years. He is without question one of the premier head football coaches at the high school level in the country. And you can always trust what he has to say about a player on his team, he speaks the plain truth and doesn't over hype his players.

I had a long conversation with Coach McGregor yesterday afternoon [Saturday, July 31] a couple of hours after Winston verbally committed to Penn State. Coach McGregor confirmed everything Thomas Frank Carr had to say about Winston in his "Tale of the Tape" video evaluation of Winston.

Not only does Winston have an explosive burst to the football once it is in the air and jumps pass routes, he is physical against the run and tackles with authority and goes anywhere on the field to become a heat seeking missile to get to the football with a 100-percent effort on every play. But it's his football IQ and his anticipation with his diagnosing of what is taking place on the field in my mind that makes him a four-star prospect.

And he already has a college BS/FS body at 6-foot-2, 205 pounds.

I've already talked in detail why I believe Allar is a 5.9 four-star QB in the class of 2022. He is in my mind one of the fastest rising QBs in the class of 2022 and is a far better athlete than many Internet Recruiting Service recruiting analysts give him credit for being.

That then brings us to Miller, who I believe would have a four-star ranking across the board from all three Internet Recruiting Services, if he had played the BCB position position at the high school level his sophomore year and junior year at Fernandina Beach High School in Fernandina Beach, Fla.

Miller is an exceptional athlete who was the Nassau County Offensive Player of the Year as a dual-threat QB on offense following the 2020 football season. With his transfer to one of the best 3A football programs in Florida, Jacksonville Trinity Christian Academy, to play exclusively as a BCB this fall, once Miller is able to put out a hudl highlight video of his play at CB this fall I can't imagine Miller not receiving a four-star ranking from Rivals.

What a recruiting haul by James Franklin and his assistant coaches in the month of July. A job so well done I'm sure it exceeded everyone of our recruitniks' expectations here in the Lions Den.

That number could rise to 17 or 18 signings, if WR Darrius Clemons [6-4, 212] from Portland, Ore. and WDE Tyreese Fearbry [6-4, 225] from Pittsburgh, Pa. would select Penn State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.