ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State defensive tackle Davon Townley enters transfer portal

Hmm...so, second time for him in the portal. Looks like kids are just using the portal as a fishing expedition now. Kid goes "since I can't talk to teams until I am in the portal, I'll portal and see what my value is in the open market. If it is not worth the change, I'll stay here. If someone has some excess NIL money, gonzo."

Hmm...so, second time for him in the portal. Looks like kids are just using the portal as a fishing expedition now. Kid goes "since I can't talk to teams until I am in the portal, I'll portal and see what my value is in the open market. If it is not worth the change, I'll stay here. If someone has some excess NIL money, gonzo."

Yep.

He's in the portal after being portaled.
Portal-potty?

4LYJJMb.gif

It was put and show up or move on time for a number of players that otherwise would get passed up in the recent Spring practices. If a player is going into his 4th year and still can't crack the depth chart it's time to move on. Townley was a 2021 class recruit. Hope he finds a home somewhere where he can get on the field as well as work towards a employable graduate degree. I still count scholarship 11 DT's on the roster which is a 5+ deep and still may be too many to carry into the 2024 season. The 2023 2 deep all return, and there are 4 true freshman DT's already on campus that went through Spring practices.

Hopefully Townley has or will get his degree in May in line with Franklin's plan for his players to get their degree in 3 years.

Last edited:
This is no surprise. He would have make zero depth impact. I think they had a "discussion" with him. Personally, when I scanned our roster recently for 8-10 potential cuts, Townley was at or near the top of my list of dead wood.

He had no choice after they had an honest discussion with him. He isn't shopping around......,he's looking for a life raft.

This is no surprise. He would have make zero depth impact. I think they had a "discussion" with him. Personally, when I scanned our roster recently for 8-10 potential cuts, Townley was at or near the top of my list of dead wood.
I thought the same thing.

The rivals scholarship chart looks like last update was April 2023 but the FOS one looks current and shows 94. So many young players it's hard to find too many that are obvious candidates to move on. Too many WR's seems the most obvious area....

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I hate calling a young guy that came here all the way
From Minnesota , dead wood . He was a 4 star DE
That I for 1 was thrilled to see commit to the Nits .
It just didn’t work . That happens . No reason to
“Dead wood “ the guy . I hope he earns his degree here
And gets a chance to play elsewhere . No hard feelings .

Not a good strategy in business to let management know you’re looking around. I doubt it builds confidence in a coaching staff either. Maybe it’s just that the door is closed and it’s time to move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT