ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State finest offensive and defensive player of the ‘70s

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
In thinking about which offensive and defensive player was the best at Penn State for the current and each of the previous five decades, rather than group them as one long jumbled thread, I thought I post them individually. Should you base it on one superlative season or their college career? So who is your choice as Penn State’s best offensive and defensive player during the ‘70s?

O: One could make a good case for Chuck Fusina but how can one not select Penn State’s only Heisman trophy winner, John Cappelletti?

D: Bruce Clark, winner of the Lombardi Award and two-time All American.

Reactions: bxle
Lydell was one of my first and all-time favorites but how does our only Heisman Trophy winner not get any love here (in this thread)?

Lydell was one of my first and all-time favorites but how does our only Heisman Trophy winner not get any love here (in this thread)?

John, I understand your point about Cappelletti. He is actually 1 of my al-time favorite players, one whom I actually have had the pleasure to speak with personally. However, John was a RB for only 2 years, and though he won the Heisman in 1973, he was certainly not the only Nittany Lion RB worthy of that award. Carter, Warner, and LJ surely merited it, as did Lydell Mitchell.

The reason that Cappy is so often not included among the "Top 5" or so RBs of all time at PSU is that his skill set (speed, moves, receiving) was likely not at the same level as guys like Warner, LJ, or Saquon Barkley. He would certainly rank Top 5 all time IRT character and leadership, but IMO, Cappy was not among our very best pure running backs ever to don the generic whites.

I don't follow Miami at all, but I would guess that Gino Torretta might have a tough time making the 'Cane list of all-time great QBs, despite his Heisman. Perhaps I am jaded by all the perceived snubs (my opinion only) of so many Heisman-worthy Lion players, but I just do not value the Heisman as a measure of genuine football greatness.

This also gets me.. Every thread we talk about guys winning the maxwell, and even the Lombardi, but not the biggest trophy in college football.

John, I understand your point about Cappelletti. He is actually 1 of my al-time favorite players, one whom I actually have had the pleasure to speak with personally. However, John was a RB for only 2 years, and though he won the Heisman in 1973, he was certainly not the only Nittany Lion RB worthy of that award. Carter, Warner, and LJ surely merited it, as did Lydell Mitchell.

The reason that Cappy is so often not included among the "Top 5" or so RBs of all time at PSU is that his skill set (speed, moves, receiving) was likely not at the same level as guys like Warner, LJ, or Saquon Barkley. He would certainly rank Top 5 all time IRT character and leadership, but IMO, Cappy was not among our very best pure running backs ever to don the generic whites.

I don't follow Miami at all, but I would guess that Gino Torretta might have a tough time making the 'Cane list of all-time great QBs, despite his Heisman. Perhaps I am jaded by all the perceived snubs (my opinion only) of so many Heisman-worthy Lion players, but I just do not value the Heisman as a measure of genuine football greatness.

Point very well taken Bob. I, likewise, don't place Cappy in my top four at least of great PSU running backs for the reasons you well stated.

However, accomplishment does have its merit.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT