ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State finest offensive and defensive player of the ‘90s

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
In thinking about which offensive and defensive player was the best at Penn State for the current and each of the previous five decades, rather than group them as one long jumbled thread, I thought I post them individually. Should you base it on one superlative season or their college career? So who is your choice as Penn State’s best offensive and defensive player during the ‘90s?

O: This one is interesting. One could make a strong case that Kerry Collins, Ki-Jana Carter and Bobby Engram were the finest players at their position in Penn State history, particularly Collins and Engram. I’m not sure about this one.

D: I’m thinking Lavar Arrington is the pick here.

"best" is a very subjective term.
Arrington maybe the best athlete ever. He was however, not a disciplined football player. He was prone to great individual plays and being caught out of position.
Could also throw at least Courtney Brown and Brandon Short in the mix. Short was not the athlete that Arrington was, but he was a better LB IMHO.

Reactions: WDLion
Offense: Collins

Defense: Short

I loved Lavar, but I think he was a tad overrated at PSU. He made some great plays, but also was horrible at times.

In thinking about which offensive and defensive player was the best at Penn State for the current and each of the previous five decades, rather than group them as one long jumbled thread, I thought I post them individually. Should you base it on one superlative season or their college career? So who is your choice as Penn State’s best offensive and defensive player during the ‘90s?

O: This one is interesting. One could make a strong case that Kerry Collins, Ki-Jana Carter and Bobby Engram were the finest players at their position in Penn State history, particularly Collins and Engram. I’m not sure about this one.

D: I’m thinking Lavar Arrington is the pick here.

Again, I think you hit the target with your picks. Although Collins was perhaps our best QB in decades, I have a tendency to tilt my selections based on length of years at Penn State. It might be a crazy way to base a pick, but Kerry was basically a 2-year starter, Carter 3, while Engram played 4 years. So my worthless nod goes to old #10, Bobby Engram.

Defense is even tougher between those top 2 NFL draft picks. But I'll stay consistent an pick Courtney Brown over Lavar because Brown had that 4th year as a Lion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT