ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Facts and History of Penn State Wrestling

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Tim Flynn ‘85 - Dinner with Hachiro Oishi(Assistant Penn State Wrestling Coach) I thought I had made it…..he finally liked me. I was invited to Hachiro’s for dinner. I got there, and he was still preparing the meal. “Flynny, coming in,” he said as he motioned to the back door. I walked from the front door, through the house, to the back door where I saw a lawnmower waiting for me. “Go ‘head. Mowing for spaghetti!!!”

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Eric Brugel ‘86 - Once late in my career, we were running on the Rec Hall track. We would do sprints on the straight section of the track, starting from the referee’s position. We would go in pairs and I was paired with Chris Bevilacqua. Several times, when we were in the referee’s position, some non-wrestler, using the track, would veer around us and then move to the rail. In the process, they kept cutting Chris off as he did a stand-up and then began to sprint. After a while, Chris got exasperated and pointedly said, “The next time somebody cuts me off, I am going to run over them!” Well, sure enough, on the next sprint he is cut off, so he slams this guy to the track, literally running over him! It turns out to be Father May, the campus chaplain!

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Paul Wiegartner ‘86 - At the National Open, in 1985, I was wrestling Kenny Monday, an NCAA and Olympic champ. I was losing 2-10, having scored two points on a move I initiated, but which Monday countered I was losing 2-12. My corner coach, Hachiro Oishi, gave me an awe-inspiring motivational speech: “Very nice surprise. Me never think you last three minutes. Now go out there and try to score another point, before he smash you some more.” Inspirational words from an inspirational coach! You could always count on Hachiro to tell it like it is!

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Sean Finkbeiner ‘89 - I remember being a member of the first team to beat Dan Gable at home(19-18, Iowa City, Feb. 6, 1988). It must have been 10 or 15 below zero outside. Gable made his wrestlers put back on their warm-ups and they had to practice, out in the ice and snow, in the parking lot. We had to walk around them and through them, in order to get on the bus and leave.

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Jim Abbott ‘90 - The one memory that stands out the most, while wrestling for Penn State, involves a meeting I had with Coach Lorenzo. I was a freshman and was called in to discuss my none too stellar first semester grades. I was nervous and worried, but the coach discussed everything except my grades. Then he “accidentally” knocked a plant off his desk. The dirt spilled out all over the floor. He asked me to get the broom, from behind the door for him. Being in a helpful mood, I started to sweep up the dirt that was on the floor. Just then Coach Lorenzo decided to bring up my grades, in the following way: “Get used to how that broom feels in your hands, because with grades like you got last semester, the only thing you will be qualified to do is push a broom, in the gymnasium back at your high school.” That was all it took to help me realize the importance, of my studies. (Jim is now Principal of Baker Elementary School, in Altoona.)

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Mike Bevilacqua ‘90 - I always say to myself, if I can get up at 6am to go to wrestling practice and wrestle on those cold mats, I can do anything. To me PSU Wrestling makes men out of boys. And that started with Coach Lorenzo, who taught us that there are no “gray areas,” only black and white. I also take great pride in all the other PSU Wrestling alumni and how successful they are, in their respective fields. I challenge anybody to point to a program that has produced as many quality people, in their careers and communities.

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, John Bove ‘91 - After winning the Espoir Freestyle National Title, I was congratulated by Coach Oishi, who then made me go into the corner to do pushups and squats. I also recall running the stadium steps, as a freshman, coming to the last row, with Coach Oishi, Tim Flynn and Johnny Orr, at the bottom, yelling to me to hurry, because some others were close behind me. So I went faster and faster, but soon tripped and almost rolled down the steps. Well, there was no one behind me - just the coaches running in place!

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, Chad Dubin ‘91 - I wrestled in high school in Florida and never placed, in the Florida state tournament - so let’s just say that my credentials, as an accomplished wrestler, were just a little bit below those of the PA, OH and NJ state champs, being recruited by PSU. Obviously, I wasn’t recruited by Penn State(or any other college). So I recruited the colleges: Clemson, North Carolina, Lehigh and Penn State. Upon arriving at these schools, I met with the head coaches, who barely gave me the time of day. I would sit down in their office and they would say, “OK, Do you have any questions? No, OK, good luck.” Except for my appointment, with Coach Lorenzo. What impressed me so much about Penn State’s program was the fact that Coach Lorenzo treated me like any other “real” recruit. He sat down with me, talked to me about the program, asked me questions about myself, showed me the locker room and really made me feel important. He even asked one of the wrestlers(Tim Flynn) to go down to the room and drill with me for a while and then take me out to lunch. I will never forget that day and how special Coach Lorenzo and Tim made me feel. “Treat everyone with respect, no matter what their job title or status in life or what they look like” is just one of the many lessons that Penn State Wrestling taught me.

How about those Flying Dutch, Howdy from a fellow D9 (Ridgway). Our paths may have crossed as I graduated HS in 1978. Knew quite a few St Mary’s wrestlers from that time.
Friend of mine, Ray Bennett wrestled for Redbank Valley and graduated in 78 or 79.

Stories told by Penn State Wrestlers, John Lange ‘98 - I always reflect on my relationships with all my coaches there. The way Oishi would push me to do things that everyone in the world, but he, thought were crazy. The way Troy Sunderland, Dave Hart or John Bove would just be there to help make me better, no matter how early I wanted to work out. Coach Lorenzo driving to West Halls, in a snowy Saturday, to give me research material for a term paper, oh and a Diet Pepsi, of course. The way he was always positive and tried to make me believe that I could do anything.

But one memory keeps coming back to me: our dual meet win over the Hawkeyes of Iowa, in Iowa City in 1998 - only their second loss at home. With two back-ups in the lineup, we went out there and pulled off the upset, of the 2nd ranked team in the country. And what I remember most is our heavyweight, Mark Janus pinning Wes Hand, to clinch our win and how silent the Carver-Hawkeye Arena became the instant the referee slapped the mat. I mean there is more noise in Pattee, on a Friday night, than there was in Carver-Hawkeye Arena that night! (John won his bout that night 15-1).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT