ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Penn State flips Duke linebacker commit Cameron Smith

Info is out there non-premium about flipping Duke commit 4-star LB Cam Smith. Still keeping my fingers crossed on another 4 star flip but have no info on that one.

So we didn’t respect his decision 🤷🏿‍♂️
We did but we respect his second decision more. Manny Diaz is probably not as respectful of it.

1. a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    "the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor"

Similar:
    esteem
    regard
    high regard
    high opinion
    acclaim
    admiration
    approbation
    approval
    appreciation
    estimation
    favor
    popularity
    recognition
    veneration
    awe
    reverence
    deference
    honor
    praise
    homage

Opposite:
    contempt

2. 2. due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others.
    "young people's lack of respect for their parents"

Similar:
    due regard
    consideration
    thoughtfulness
    attentiveness
    politeness
    courtesy
    civility
    deference

Opposite:
    disrespect

3. verb
  1. admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    "she was respected by everyone she worked with"

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Reactions: NedFromYork
Rivals has him as a high 3 star, but pretty much everyone else has him rated 4 stars. Not that big of a deal. They rate a lot of players low it seems. And if Franklin wants him, I like his track record with LB recruits.

Reactions: brupsu and BOSCO2
Did one former player's unexpected and abrupt departure play a role in flipping a recruit to take advantage of that opening?

We just lost a promising young LB in Keys to a very serious but still unspecified allegation. Perhaps Cam Smith can step up and take advantage of that opportunity.

I believe he's from St. Joe's Prep so hopefully that can be of some tangential benefit down the road....

Did one former player's unexpected and abrupt departure play a role in flipping a recruit to take advantage of that opening?

We just lost a promising young LB in Keys to a very serious but still unspecified allegation. Perhaps Cam Smith can step up and take advantage of that opportunity.

I believe he's from St. Joe's Prep so hopefully that can be of some tangential benefit down the road....
No they started upping their pursuit of Smith once they lost McClary to Rutgers.

NYPICHPDPICT000009179652.jpg

Great Mullet

No. Psu had been trying to flip smith before keys left.

Another factor could be the scholarship limit going to 105.

Last edited:
Reactions: brupsu
His speed to the ball is very impressive. He isn't very big. I wonder if he could line up at safety?

He long jumped 21'9" last spring.

Reactions: blair10
This was another very solid get and continues to solidify the strong class. Off-topic, but as I’m looking at recruiting ratings on 247 I noticed that Colorado os ranked 87 nationally and dead last in the big 12. Perhaps the Sanders experiment isn’t working out well!

This was another very solid get and continues to solidify the strong class. Off-topic, but as I’m looking at recruiting ratings on 247 I noticed that Colorado os ranked 87 nationally and dead last in the big 12. Perhaps the Sanders experiment isn’t working out well!
Or he just loves the portal--maybe both

As Richie wrote, McClary to Rutgers was the reason we got in on Smith.

Keys departure might lead to another LB at some point though. I don't know of us in one any others in this class so that might be a winter portal type of offer to come.

Now, let's flip Mathis and go from there.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Doesn't he get his key guys via portal? Nevertheless, if he doesn't improve over the next 2-3 years he gone.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
His speed to the ball is very impressive. He isn't very big. I wonder if he could line up at safety?

He long jumped 21'9" last spring.
He's listed as an athlete and I also wonder at 6'0" if he is better suited for safety. Don't know how fast he is.

For '25 we have Burnett and Tatsch at LB. Also, I believe Arrington Jr will be a LB. All at 6'2" or taller.

He's listed as an athlete and I also wonder at 6'0" if he is better suited for safety. Don't know how fast he is.

For '25 we have Burnett and Tatsch at LB. Also, I believe Arrington Jr will be a LB. All at 6'2" or taller.
6'0, 200 lbs is good Safety size.

Or he just loves the portal--maybe both
The portal works well to plug holes, but I am doubtful it can be used to build an entire team, especially for a program like CU. Sanders may be having difficulty convincing recruits or their families that he is loyal and will commit the time to develop a young athlete when he has a history of cutting most of the squad the previous year.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The portal works well to plug holes, but I am doubtful it can be used to build an entire team, especially for a program like CU. Sanders may be having difficulty convincing recruits or their families that he is loyal and will commit the time to develop a young athlete when he has a history of cutting most of the squad the previous year.
I think he just disagrees that you cany build a team from the portal. I agree with your take but I believe Sanders would rather wait and see who works out then try to take them. Not saying it's smart just how I think his mind works.

Reactions: LMTLION
Sanders is also at Colorado. Has anyone won there recently using any plan? How did your plan work for the previous coach? Sanders has a different approach. He is going big on the portal. He had zero at home recruit visits since he has been there.

Sanders is also at Colorado

I believe he's there only for Shedur. Hasn't he been a coach or volunteer at every stop he's been since elementary school?

I could see him quitting once his kid gets drafted. CU got their bump. Deion got his for him and his kid.

I believe he's there only for Shedur. Hasn't he been a coach or volunteer at every stop he's been since elementary school?

I could see him quitting once his kid gets drafted. CU got their bump. Deion got his for him and his kid.
This. They are cashing in. That is all. He'll show the same loyalty to Colorado that he did to the last school that he left and took any good players with him.

Reactions: lazydave841
No they started upping their pursuit of Smith once they lost McClary to Rutgers.
I had forgotten that we had lost McClary, but wasn't he more of an ILB?

At 190, Smith would appear to be more of a hybrid S/LB/Lion position, at least at this point in time.

I understand DC Allen's preference for a 4-2-5 defensive scheme and the benefits of shutting down today's innovative passing offenses.

I hope Allen acknowledges what the IL offense did several years ago with their jumbo package and what UM was able to do to our defense last year and design a defensive package designed for the more bludgeoning offensive approach.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I had forgotten that we had lost McClary, but wasn't he more of an ILB?

At 190, Smith would appear to be more of a hybrid S/LB/Lion position, at least at this point in time.

I understand DC Allen's preference for a 4-2-5 defensive scheme and the benefits of shutting down today's innovative passing offenses.

I hope Allen acknowledges what the IL offense did several years ago with their jumbo package and what UM was able to do to our defense last year and design a defensive package designed for the more bludgeoning offensive approach.
McClary is likely either a WILL or a MIKE at the next level, it really depends on his speed. He actually has similar measurable to Smith, listed at 6-2 / 205, slightly taller and a few pounds heavier, but he has instincts to drop back in coverage if necessary.

Regardless I'm a fan of Smith and think he can be used in a variety of ways, but expect him to be a linebacker first and foremost in this system, just will take a few years before seeing him as he desperately needs to add some weight / muscle before contributing.

Reactions: lazydave841
Seems like Smith is a fit for the Sam LB in Allen's new defense that puts a premium on coverage skills without giving up too much in run support. Possibly the replacement for DeLuka going forward.

Keys did not look to be that type of LB, but more of a Will LB, where one of the other two 2025 LB commits will end up.

Last edited:
McClary is likely either a WILL or a MIKE at the next level, it really depends on his speed. He actually has similar measurable to Smith, listed at 6-2 / 205, slightly taller and a few pounds heavier, but he has instincts to drop back in coverage if necessary.

Regardless I'm a fan of Smith and think he can be used in a variety of ways, but expect him to be a linebacker first and foremost in this system, just will take a few years before seeing him as he desperately needs to add some weight / muscle before contributing.
Is 6 foot even too short for LB? Maybe okay for PSU but something tells me these picky NFL scouts won't like that. I guess if he is a total stud for us at LB then they will overlook it.

Is 6 foot even too short for LB? Maybe okay for PSU but something tells me these picky NFL scouts won't like that. I guess if he is a total stud for us at LB then they will overlook it.

I don't think every kid has to project to "NFL draft pick" to be successful at the college level. That could be why McClary was the original choice over Smith.

He is 6' 0.5" which makes him taller than Mike hull and Aaron Collins. What the NFL is looking for is irrelevant.

He is 6' 0.5" which makes him taller than Mike hull and Aaron Collins. What the NFL is looking for is irrelevant.
Okay. Not trying to be argumentative just he and his family may consider an NFL career as a viable career path if there is an opportunity. And with that said he will want to make himself as attractive as possible to those employers. I doubt this has not come up before throughout the recruiting process. But what do I know, I'm just some guy on a message board throwing out an opinion not a football talent evaluator of college or NFL players. Nevertheless, there is plenty of time before those decisions need to be made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT