ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Penn State flips Duke linebacker commit Cameron Smith

Reminds me of Tony Rojas with his size ,speed and aggressiveness.
Really? Rojas has a much bigger frame, is listed at 6'2" and looks it, and is reportedly up to 240lbs. Smith looks like he'll be a Sam at 225 max, or possibly play the Lion Safety position.

Chill out some. He is just entering his senior year. He still has some growth years. I grew 3" in senior year, and he might do better.
Chill out yourself. Everything said was already known. And no one knows if he'll grow or not. Most college coaching staffs don't recruit based upon an expectation of a players possible frame growth.

Not sure your growning has anything to do with it, unless you can play LB.

But at Smith's current size he's doesn't seem to be a replacement for Keys, who was listed at 6'3" as a high school player and was on track to play Will or Mike at PSU, or likely McClary who also looks to have a bigger frame than Smith.

Last edited:
I had forgotten that we had lost McClary, but wasn't he more of an ILB?

At 190, Smith would appear to be more of a hybrid S/LB/Lion position, at least at this point in time.

I understand DC Allen's preference for a 4-2-5 defensive scheme and the benefits of shutting down today's innovative passing offenses.

I hope Allen acknowledges what the IL offense did several years ago with their jumbo package and what UM was able to do to our defense last year and design a defensive package designed for the more bludgeoning offensive approach.
I am sure Allen will be taken completely by surprise. Lol

I am sure Allen will be taken completely by surprise. Lol
Was DC Brent Pry taken by surprise against the Illini in 2021? The in game adjustments and their results speak for themselves. PSU lost 20-18 in 9OT's. The Illini ran the ball for 365 yds against us that day.

This past season we were unable to stop Michigan when it counted. In the 2nd half of that game, Michigan ran the ball (down our throats?) 32 consecutive times without completing a pass in root to their victory.

Were you LOL during those games too?

Was DC Brent Pry taken by surprise against the Illini in 2021? The in game adjustments and their results speak for themselves. PSU lost 20-18 in 9OT's. The Illini ran the ball for 365 yds against us that day.

This past season we were unable to stop Michigan when it counted. In the 2nd half of that game, Michigan ran the ball (down our throats?) 32 consecutive times without completing a pass in root to their victory.

Were you LOL during those games too?

That Illinois game was almost criminally bad. No 5th DL. No 4th LB. Meh. The yardage was irrelevant though because they couldn't score. We couldn't either. That was as big of a killer as anything.

The Michigan game doesn't bother me because who did stop them? They couldn't stop our pass rush and had to run. It was a death by a thousand cuts. We just didn't have the offense to match that style.

That Illinois game was almost criminally bad. No 5th DL. No 4th LB. Meh. The yardage was irrelevant though because they couldn't score. We couldn't either. That was as big of a killer as anything.

The Michigan game doesn't bother me because who did stop them? They couldn't stop our pass rush and had to run. It was a death by a thousand cuts. We just didn't have the offense to match that style.
WRT the IL game, if we would have shut down their running game, it would have the dual benefit of demoralizing their less talented team plus it would have given more and better opportunities for Clifford and our offense to avoid that OT debacle. And as you alluded to, it does even appear that we actually tried to make any meaningful adjustments.

WRT MI, I believed we had that Great defense capable of shutting them down. As it turned out, we were just very good.

It was apparent to me that if we were going to win that game, the Defense was going to have to step up and be the catalyst for our underperforming offense.

And while it certainly was not the defenses' fault, I was hoping for greatness ....

Really? Rojas has a much bigger frame, is listed at 6'2" and looks it, and is reportedly up to 240lbs. Smith looks like he'll be a Sam at 225 max, or possibly play the Lion Safety position.
195 when he signed. You did not even have him in the two deep last year because he was too small.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
WRT the IL game, if we would have shut down their running game, it would have the dual benefit of demoralizing their less talented team plus it would have given more and better opportunities for Clifford and our offense to avoid that OT debacle. And as you alluded to, it does even appear that we actually tried to make any meaningful adjustments.

WRT MI, I believed we had that Great defense capable of shutting them down. As it turned out, we were just very good.

It was apparent to me that if we were going to win that game, the Defense was going to have to step up and be the catalyst for our underperforming offense.

And while it certainly was not the defenses' fault, I was hoping for greatness ....

'21 was just a continuation of a team that forgot how to win. The adjustments were lacking, but it's hard to what a 7-5 team (even if those what it's could produce 10-2 perhaps).

'23 Michigan, Manny lived by the sword and died by it. If we had just rushed 2 and looked on at least 3 different third downs, we get Michigan off the field and stop 2 of their scores. At some point, the offense HAS to score points though. This isn't 2002, 1986 or any other year where a defense could do enough to win a title. The rules favor scoring too much. Once Michigan went up 14-3 (on a 3rd down blitz that Edwards just smoked us on), we were going to need 2 TDs and our offense just couldn't do it.

We scored one before halftime and kept them from scoring the other TD until 4 minutes were left, but I don't mind the preceding 4th down miss because quite frankly a loss is a loss; whether it's 17-9 or 24-15 is irrelevant (unless you are gambling).

That was a great defense, but greatly bolstered by the horrible offenses in the Big 10. Seriously, we probably had the 3rd best offense last year and we all know it was mediocre.

I thought landing a highly rated recruit was a good thing? This thread devolved into negativity.

Sometimes you can't make fans happy. Initially, many were upset that we didn't have the entire PA HS top 10 verbaled to us. Then we get one and it's "he's too small". 🤷‍♂️

Then we strayed off topic. Fun times.

Reactions: bison13
Listed at 6'1 that year.
Believe what you want, but his H.S. profile said he was 6'2". But regardless he was and is bigger than Smith.

195 when he signed. You did not even have him in the two deep last year because he was too small.

You still have my early 2 deep? Paranoia must have set in.
If I had him out of the 2 deep at the beginning of the season it was because he was practicing at Sam and Jacobs and DeLuka were ahead of him there and continued ahead of Rojas there throughout much of the 2023 season.

Chill out yourself. Everything said was already known. And no one knows if he'll grow or not. Most college coaching staffs don't recruit based upon an expectation of a players possible frame growth.

Not sure your growning has anything to do with it, unless you can play LB.

But at Smith's current size he's doesn't seem to be a replacement for Keys, who was listed at 6'3" as a high school player and was on track to play Will or Mike at PSU, or likely McClary who also looks to have a bigger frame than Smith.
Let's see what happens starting with what kind of football player he ends up being in college. But I am in your camp that I question his height at 6 foot even to six foot and a half inch to have the frame to play the LB position in college. Just seems too short but what do I know.

Believe what you want, but his H.S. profile said he was 6'2". But regardless he was and is bigger than Smith.

You still have my early 2 deep? Paranoia must have set in.
If I had him out of the 2 deep at the beginning of the season it was because he was practicing at Sam and Jacobs and DeLuka were ahead of him there and continued ahead of Rojas there throughout much of the 2023 season.
False. You posted his college profile, not his high school profile. If you scroll down on the page YOU used as a source their is a link for his recruiting profile which lists 6'1. 200. You also said he would need a year to build up so you did not have him on the depth chart.

Smith is big enough for Diaz to want him.

False. You posted his college profile, not his high school profile. If you scroll down on the page YOU used as a source their is a link for his recruiting profile which lists 6'1. 200. You also said he would need a year to build up so you did not have him on the depth chart.

Smith is big enough for Diaz to want him.
And with two experienced LB's ahead of Rojas at Sam he was going to have a tough time getting much playing time. It seems Rojas flashed when he played but wasn't on the 2 deep at Sam last year. And he did need a year to build up, although he got bigger faster than most college LB's. Wylie for example, is a year older in the program and not now as big as Rojas ended up.

But you just look for something to argue about which is why I don't look to respond to you other than when you start arguing with me. Cheers.

And with two experienced LB's ahead of Rojas at Sam he was going to have a tough time getting much playing time. It seems Rojas flashed when he played but wasn't on the 2 deep at Sam last year. And he did need a year to build up, although he got bigger faster than most college LB's. Wylie for example, is a year older in the program and not now as big as Rojas ended up.

But you just look for something to argue about which is why I don't look to respond to you other than when you start arguing with me. Cheers.
Disagree. I have never started any threads complaining about anything psu. I contradicted the people who always complain about psu.

In this case the cult complained psu lost cam smith, a st joe prep kid. Smith then flips and the same naysayers now complain because he is a half inch shorter than speca, deluca and Kari Jackson. Kobe king is too small to play lb since he is the same height as smith.

Smith with probably put on a little weigh and play lb. 95% of the players put on weight. If he does not put on any weight he will get moved to safety. If he can't play then he will transfer to Delaware. It is not a big deal.

Which uncommitted kids in 2026 are too short, small, or slow to play at psu? We can stick with top 10 in state targets. If you geniuses don't think someone can play then why do you complain when they commit elsewhere?

Last edited:
Disagree. I have never started any threads complaining about anything psu. I contradicted the people who always complain about psu.

In this case the cult complained psu lost cam smith, a st joe prep kid. Smith then flips and the same naysayers now complain because he is a half inch shorter than speca, deluca and Kari Jackson. Kobe king is too small to play lb since he is the same height as smith.

Smith with probably put on a little weigh and play lb. 95% of the players put on weight. If he does not put on any weight he will get moved to safety. If he can't play then he will transfer to Delaware. It is not a big deal.

Which uncommitted kids in 2026 are too short, small, or slow to play at psu? We can stick with top 10 in state targets. If you geniuses don't think someone can play then why do you complain when they commit elsewhere?
I am glad about this flip. Kid plays against strong competition, has excelled, and it cracks open the door at St. Joes Prep. He might not play right away, but I think he will contribute in year two.

Last edited:
Pleas click here and look at the top 10 total tackle leaders for the nfl in 2023. They are all LBs and they are All between 6’0” and 6’2”! Some of you are having mental short circuits thinking this excellent recruit is too short at 6’0”-6’1”. Perhaps he is too short for PSU but just right for the NFL? I hope recruits do not read this board!

Last edited:
I’m not letting this nonsense go. Bowman was 6’0” and Poz and Lee were 6’2”! Do we still think Smith is too short? 🤪

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT