ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State S KJ Winston to be out 'long term'

While a massive blow, I don't think this changes how I see the Nittany Lions season going. While they were teetering between 11-1 and 10-2 coming into the season, I'd probably now lean more towards the latter - which would still be good enough for a playoff bid.

While a massive blow, I don't think this changes how I see the Nittany Lions season going. While they were teetering between 11-1 and 10-2 coming into the season, I'd probably now lean more towards the latter - which would still be good enough for a playoff bid.
Not necessarily. Need help at 10-2. If one of the 10 comes against SC or Ohio State, then yes. But I can't see us beating USC or Ohio State without Winston.

Just incredible how this program seems to lose its best player to injuries every single season. Sad.

Wheatley is a full step behind Winston, unfortunately. Need to start playing Lane right now to have any chance at all at playing Reed at the Lion. Against Moss and that passing game though, on the road, I can't see any way in hell we can stop them without Winston. They'll throw on us all night.

Once again, I am confused by the terminology being used.

Does 'long term' equivocate to out for the season?

Could limit the amount of three safety sets we can play, big loss.

Long term means out for the year. Rappleyea was called long term and he's done. Last year Tre Wallace was called long term and he was basically out for the year. I like most things about Franklin but I don't really care for his mystery jive on this. We all know he's out for the rest of the season. We MIGHT See him return maybe mid November but I doubt it.

Every year. Tengwall and Wallace, before them Mustipher, before that Journey Brown, before that Parsons left early.

We sure could have used one of those three dudes who left early for the NFL then got cut.

It will be interesting though on this kid Lane...they talk about this kid every single day, he must be about SOMETHING...?

Unless a team has the most incredible luck possible, every team is going to suffer season ending injuries. If this kind of garbage only happened to PSU, then I’d be depressed. However, it eventually will happen to every team.

LSU lost their starting running back in practice the week after the USC game, Wisconsin lost their starting qb for the season last week, and UGA lost one of their best o-linemen in the UK game until early November at the earliest.

With the above said, I really hope that PSU has gotten all of their season ending injuries and expulsions out of their system because the defense really can’t afford anymore. The injuries and expulsions that already have occurred basically have left this team with almost no margin for error. If the defense loses anymore players for the season, this team probably is going to have a hard fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
No, not yet at least. It's actually a concession on JFs part as it's usually "no comment" or "out for the year".

Unless every "long term" ends up out for the season. So, who knows.
Injuries and the rehabilitation process for recovery are more of a function of time and we are still in the early part of the season. I guess I long for the days when a player who was out 'long term' would be out for a month and then be reevaluated.

It allowed you to respect the players privacy while they received the prescribed treatments and therapy and see how their body responded.

And while I certainly don't have a pressing need to know ..... this is how I remember the discussion of injury situations being discussed with the press and the team's fans.

Is there a competitive advantage to withholding this information from our opponents that I am not understanding?

The offense is going to have to be dominant and carry the weight.
I agree. This may force the staff to be more aggressive with the offense rather than what we saw last season, and this may be an unintended positive that comes from a negative. It’s time to take the training wheels off of Allar and let him throw 30 to 35 passes a game and trust him to win games rather than not lose them.

Let’s face it; I think we all know that we have no chance to beat USC or OSU if we can’t score at least in the high 20s or low 30s, and that would be true if every player on the defense were healthy, because those teams are going to score against us.

Last edited:
Who were the defensive expulsions?
There was a d-lineman and a linebacker who were kicked off of the team during the first week of August camp; I can’t remember their names.

There also are two defensive players who were deemed to be out long term back in the spring and summer; one was given this status the week after spring practice ended, and the other was given this status in June.

Long term means out for the year. Rappleyea was called long term and he's done. Last year Tre Wallace was called long term and he was basically out for the year. I like most things about Franklin but I don't really care for his mystery jive on this. We all know he's out for the rest of the season. We MIGHT See him return maybe mid November but I doubt it.

Every year. Tengwall and Wallace, before them Mustipher, before that Journey Brown, before that Parsons left early.

We sure could have used one of those three dudes who left early for the NFL then got cut.

It will be interesting though on this kid Lane...they talk about this kid every single day, he must be about SOMETHING...?
Get a grip. Everyone has injuries. None of the players you listed were Penn State best players.

And Parsons quit on his teammates..

I agree. This may force the staff to be more aggressive with the offense rather than what we saw last season, and this may be an unintended positive that comes from a negative. It’s time to take the training wheels off of Allar and let him throw 30 to 35 passes a game and trust him to win games rather than not lose them.

Let’s face it; I think we all know that we have no chance to beat USC or OSU if we can’t score at least in the high 20s or low 30s, and that would be true if every player on the defense were healthy, because those teams are going to score against us.
And I worry they'll take the opposite approach. This week is a perfect chance to work on the pass game. Hopefully they don’t focus on the run.

Get a grip. Everyone has injuries. None of the players you listed were Penn State best players.

And Parsons quit on his teammates..
Parsons did nothing wrong. Parsons gets way too much criticism.
Nor did anyone that left the team last year for the NFL. When they think it's time they should go.

Whatever they decide to do....better do it now. Don't be waiting until Illinois week.
A bunch of games are now in play that we might have had down as comfortable wins, and that starts with Illinois and continues with everyone not named UCLA.

And I worry they'll take the opposite approach. This week is a perfect chance to work on the pass game. Hopefully they don’t focus on the run.
I agree. The transformation of this team, whether forced or not, needs to start this week. While this defense still should be decent, you can see that it’s not going to carry this team, so the offense needs to be able to score in the 30s in most games.

Reactions: LandoComando
He quit on his teamnates. Wrong is in the eye of the beholder.
Didn’t he decide to leave the team when the Big 10 overreacted and postponed the 2020 season during summer camp? I believe that when he made this decision, he didn’t know that there was going to be a 2020 season. This is another reason why I totally discount whatever happened during that fiasco. How ridiculous was that season when I believe that OSU only played 5 regular season games and Michigan basically decided to stop playing before the OSU game?

Last edited:
Pretty sad he is out long term. Was projected as a first round pick. Depending on injury this could cost him a couple million.

So what are the odds he returns next year?

As for us, will they green light someone to fill in? We had a safety move to LB in August…..will he get moved back to safety?

Have said before, injuries and the depth to overcome them is what separates us from the top five. Injuries hit all teams but those top teams have enough depth to plug in more top talent.

I agree. The transformation of this team, whether forced or not, needs to start this week. While this defense still should be decent, you can see that it’s not going to carry this team, so the offense needs to be able to score in the 30s in most games.
I agree with this strategy of opening up the offense. It starts with Allar and it sure would help if a 2nd WR (looking at you Fleming) stepped up.

I sure hope Franklin does not try to beat USC through some kind of ball control grind it out game. That won't work. Before USC he really does need to let Allar sling it around. Who cares if he gets a couple picks. We need at a minimum 4 TDs to beat USC and probably at least 31 or 35 points.

Reactions: scrivener
We all know they're awful. They're the worst team in FBS. They might go winless in FCS. However, we need to work on the pass game. This is the opportunity to do that without any fear of losing.
At least for a half or a quarter and a half then get Allar out. Don't need him in there when we have a 5 TD lead. But Illinois and UCLA are two prime opportunities to work on the passing game and we should win both comfortably.

Once again, I am confused by the terminology being used.

Does 'long term' equivocate to out for the season?
It’s nebulous. Long term could be fractured foot/wrist, clavicle etc which means out for 6 weeks…back in 8 , or it could be a complete knee rebuild …..back next year. ( or even some medical issue unrelated to football)—Best case: expect back for final 2-3 games regular season. Worst case : next year. JMO

Last edited:
I agree with this strategy of opening up the offense. It starts with Allar and it sure would help if a 2nd WR (looking at you Fleming) stepped up.

I sure hope Franklin does not try to beat USC through some kind of ball control grind it out game. That won't work. Before USC he really does need to let Allar sling it around. Who cares if he gets a couple picks. We need at a minimum 4 TDs to beat USC and probably at least 31 or 35 points.

Who cares if we get a couple picks? A pick can be a 14 to swing.

If we lose a game because of a turnover you will care.

We should be good enough to recover from a pick vs Illinois or we shouldn't be in the playoffs to begin with. If all we do is dink and dunk. not stretch the field and essenttially have no vertical passing game then we won't beat USC. So we need to take some risks and open it up versus Illinois and UCLA.so we can open it up with confidence versus the Trojans.

It’s nebulous. Long term could be fractured foot/wrist, clavicle etc which means out for 6 weeks…back in 8 , or it could be a complete knee rebuild …..back next year. ( or even some medical issue unrelated to football)—Best case: expect back for final 2-3 games regular season. Worst case : next year. JMO
This seems like it could be a concussion or something similar. There was no evidence of a leg injury when he was on the sidelines vs BGSU. Not sure why a concussion would be termed "long term" so who knows.

If we lose a game because of a turnover you will care.
Only people that don't understand the game overreact to a turnover. Our biggest issue last year was we didn't take any risks. You can't contend for titles that way.

Reactions: scrivener
If I remember correctly there are some sort of new confidentiality rules governing the reporting of injuries. I can’t remember if it’s a NCAA thing or a Penn State thing. Now we get these strange injury reports.

If I remember correctly there are some sort of new confidentiality rules governing the reporting of injuries. I can’t remember if it’s a NCAA thing or a Penn State thing. Now we get these strange injury reports.
Has to be a PSU thing and JF's cryptic preferences. I routinely watch other CFB coaches and their pressers just to consume other info, see how coaches comport themselves, etc. And, most to all are WAY more open about injuries...like so and so we expect back in 1-2 weeks...or so and so is back practicing, etc. JF's style is ridiculous to say the least. Short term and long term is just his way of getting around specifics, as if the status of our special teams player really is a competitive advantage. Being more clear about injuries isn't some HIPAA violation, especially saying 'he has an ankle and should be back after the bye week.' It really isn't. And, for those that say it isn't our business, uh yeah it is more so now, with contributing to a players NIL and other funds, absolutely we should know the status of guys.

Reactions: ryoder1 and royboy
Didn’t he decide to leave the team when the Big 10 overreacted and postponed the 2020 season during summer camp?
No. There are multiple past threads with articles one can piece together the timeline.

Parsons did use PSU for a free education during that time. Another eye if the beholder thing is how much this is an indication of one’s character.

Has to be a PSU thing and JF's cryptic preferences. I routinely watch other CFB coaches and their pressers just to consume other info, see how coaches comport themselves, etc. And, most to all are WAY more open about injuries...like so and so we expect back in 1-2 weeks...or so and so is back practicing, etc. JF's style is ridiculous to say the least. Short term and long term is just his way of getting around specifics, as if the status of our special teams player really is a competitive advantage. Being more clear about injuries isn't some HIPAA violation, especially saying 'he has an ankle and should be back after the bye week.' It really isn't. And, for those that say it isn't our business, uh yeah it is more so now, with contributing to a players NIL and other funds, absolutely we should know the status of guys.
He thinks he is a NHL hockey coach🤷🏻‍♀️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT