ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State survives Bowling Green upset bid 34-27

“looking at their team in general, they’re a bigger and more physical team than I anticipated” - James on Bowling Green.

James would like to see improvement in the punting game, kickoff games and across the board on special teams.
Thompson average 44 yds which isn't bad. Maybe he's talking about punt returns. Saunders fair caught everything. I thought that might be because he was banged up.

Reactions: bison13
“looking at their team in general, they’re a bigger and more physical team than I anticipated” - James on Bowling Green.
BG QB Bazelak played 3 seasons at Mizzou, 1 yr at Indiana, and is now in his 2nd season as their QB. Very experienced.

And their ground game produced 305 yds against their 1st game opponent.

Reactions: NedFromYork
“We’re real high on Anthony,” he says on RT Anthony Donkoh. Notes his high IQ, work ethic, and work habits. “We also plan on Rucci more, plan on getting him opportunities. But Donkoh has played really well in the two games we’ve been able to watch him.”

On Sander Sahaydak’s miss

“we wanted to give him an opportunity to get a field goal and get on the right foot. Obviously not ideal. We got a ton of confidence in him based on what he did all of training camp and all of spring ball.”

Franklin notes Julian Fleming ran good routes throughout the game and blocked well. Credited him with having a big part in Tyler Warren’s fourth quarter touchdown. Also notes his route running played a big part in one of Tre Wallace’s touchdowns.

“Obviously you’d love that as to go with it, those will come.”

“I think it’s a real advantage for us. Although Drew showed he can make plays with us feet cheap as that ability at a little bit different level, a little bit more of a playmaker. Ability to get him in the field and challenge the defense and ways to take advantage of it.”

Penn State kept Kaden Saunders just to punt return as they thought due to WVU’s styled Jed mostly be just fair catching. Wasn’t quite there it sounds to make an impact offensively.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
On Sander Sahaydak’s miss

“we wanted to give him an opportunity to get a field goal and get on the right foot. Obviously not ideal. We got a ton of confidence in him based on what he did all of training camp and all of spring ball.”
Oh, the old "We have a ton of confidence in him" line. Look for some other FG kicker to receive an opportunity during next two games. PSU has to have consistency with the FG kicking.

James was happy to see Drew have confidence and swagger on the field Saturday. He was jawing with West Virginia defenders, his stiff arm obviously stood out as well.

Of note is that the BGSU program has been improving. They were great a couple of decades ago but really have fallen to the bottom or the MAC. Last season they had a very good year and this year are predicted to be pretty good. Miami is the cream of the MAC and Toledo will contend. But most predict BG and OU to be anywhere from 2nd to 5th in the league.

Reactions: brupsu
******UpSEt aLErT*****

Cold! Rain! breezy! TrAp GaME!

******uPSeT AlERt concluded *****
I was thinking the same thing. Remember, if we take away all of our good plays against WVU then we really sucked. And if you take away all of Bowling Green's bad plays this past weekend they looked really good. Definite upset alert. I hope we're ready.

This is a nice 2nd game for PSU. They should win, but BG is good enough to pester us in certain areas if we're deficient there. Nice situation where Franklin can watch those areas be exposed (so he can address them) without a *true* threat of losing the game.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT