ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State to the Rose Bowl

Lived in Pasadena for the past 12 years and if wasn't for the Utah folks last year, it wouldn't have felt like a Rose Bowl was happening in town. We always feel a B10 presence in the build of the game and parade but last year was similar to 2013 Rose Bowl which was Wisconsin 3rd trip in a row (also being vs Stanford didnt help as well). I believe OSU returned tickets as well.

This would be OSU's 3rd trip in 5 years. They haven't been to the Orange Bowl since 2013. We could guarantee a sellout. All the factors make sense in terms of selecting PSU but these Rose Parade/Bowl committee folks are very averse to changing tradition even in the face of common sense and $ for local businesses.

If all the favorites win Friday/Saturday, I suspect ToR still opts for OSU. Hope I'm wrong, Would love to roll out of bed, begin tailgating in the driveway, and walk down the street to see the parade when it comes by.
Where do you position yourself to watch the parade, on Orange Grove or Colorado Blvd.?

Where do you position yourself to watch the parade, on Orange Grove or Colorado Blvd.?
Neither, on Sierra Madre Blvd, after it makes it turn off of Colorado and heads toward the high school. I live a few blocks from Sierra Madre Blvd.

Just an FYI, but the day after the parade, you can go up to the high school and walk amongst the floats and get up close to see all of the details of the flowers.

Neither, on Sierra Madre Blvd, after it makes it turn off of Colorado and heads toward the high school. I live a few blocks from Sierra Madre Blvd.

Just an FYI, but the day after the parade, you can go up to the high school and walk amongst the floats and get up close to see all of the details of the flowers.
I find parades boring but walking around these floats the next day would be awesome. The work they put in to them is amazing and seeing how,it is done would be a good lesson in engineering/design.

I find parades boring but walking around these floats the next day would be awesome. The work they put in to them is amazing and seeing how,it is done would be a good lesson in engineering/design.
Didn't the rose have that parody parade where business people, in suits with briefcases, did an army drill every year?

I agree about parades. I usually will walk over watch a little and then go back home to watch whatever bowl is on tv. In 2016, I stayed a little longer to make sure I watched the Blue Band but I just timed it with the tv broadcast.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Didn't the rose have that parody parade where business people, in suits with briefcases, did an army drill every year?
That doesnt ring a bell but there are the Rose Parade officials which always wear white suits and you'll see walking along the parade route.

Reactions: Obliviax
  • Love
Reactions: Obliviax
It appears to be all but a done deal: Penn State to Rose and Ohio State to Orange. Jerry Palm has adjusted his projections along those lines. Link below.

The only possible fly in the ointment would be a Purdue upset of Michigan, which could bust us all the way down to the Citrus.

Reactions: NedFromYork
It appears to be all but a done deal: Penn State to Rose and Ohio State to Orange. Jerry Palm has adjusted his projections along those lines. Link below.

The only possible fly in the ointment would be a Purdue upset of Michigan, which could bust us all the way down to the Citrus.

wait, we've got to root for Michigan???

anU.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry

Great, now it seems like the Buttflies 'gave" us their spot and we didn't earn it.

wait, we've got to root for Michigan???

anU.gif

No, no, no.

As I stated in John's thread, we never "root" for Michigan.

But on rare occasion, once a century or so, we entertain the grudging hope that they win...because it would benefit us.

This Saturday is that occasion. But fortunately, we'll still be able to root against them in the playoffs.

No, no, no.

As I stated in John's thread, we never "root" for Michigan.

But on rare occasion, once a century or so, we entertain the grudging hope that they win...because it would benefit us.

This Saturday is that occasion. But fortunately, we'll still be able to root against them in the playoffs.
giphy.gif

Great, now it seems like the Buttflies 'gave" us their spot and we didn't earn it.
I don't think it's about "giving or earning" anything. Let's be honest, these bowls are now nothing more than glorified games and practices for next year. Many of the top players don't even play in the Bowls fearing injury might cost them in the NFL draft.

And the other thing is that the B1G splits up all of the total Bowl money - it's not like PSU or OSU will reap the total monetary payout of the Bowl they play in.

I travel around the different boards and the fan reaction from the Alabama, OSU and Clemson fan bases are a lot different than most of the others that haven't been in the Playoffs in recent years like those schools. They just don't care about Bowls-games that aren't part of the Playoffs and consider their seasons pretty much over. I believe OSU actually returned tickets to last year's Rose Bowl.

Once the 12 team Playoffs start, it will be interesting to see what happens to all of the traditional bowls. Nobody will remember - or care - about who wins this year's Rose or Orange Bowls outside of the fan bases of the teams that participated. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PLAYOFFS NOW

Last edited:
Book your trip to Pasadena. Beware though as this is not a good matchup for the Nits. Utah is a physical team and they will simply study two game films. PSU has its hands full.

Book your trip to Pasadena. Beware though as this is not a good matchup for the Nits. Utah is a physical team and they will simply study two game films. PSU has its hands full.
Being physical in the PAC12 may not be the same as being physical in the Big 10 or SEC. We'll find out but Florida may offer a clue.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
UCLA, Florida, and Oregon seemed to do just fine. Perhaps we will study 3 game films ourselves.

Utah gassed vs. Fla but still could have won but for an INT in the end zone at the end. Think they missed some kicks, too. UCLA and Oregon had pretty good QBs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT