ADVERTISEMENT

Per the Abdul Carter tow truck incident, doesn't the NIL provide a 24 hour customer service line?

Yes, the guy that was doing his job. Wasn't aware tow truck drivers are supposed to wait around for the owner to call the cops? Carter could have still made the call, not doing so is 100% on him. His car was going to an impound lot, not disappearing into the night never to be seen again.
Simply google tow truck drivers stealing cars, and you will see articles from all over the US. I seriously doubt the car was being stolen, but it does happen.

I am happy you said Carter should have dialed 911. He should have. Just like the tow truck driver should have when he was prevented from entering his vehicle. I love the SC tow truck drivers don’t play. Well when you raise the temperature in a conflict like this (if he did), why is anyone surprised he has broken ribs. The stupidity ran both ways in this incident.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
He's not allowed to pick up a large metal bar and make physical threats to a young man that hasn't touched him. That is a crime. It is called making terroristic threats with a deadly weapon in PA law.
You have stated this over and over again on this thread. The driver was physically blocked from entering his vehicle. At that point the driver was physically threatened and he grabbed the weapon to defend himself. Extreme? Yes. Breaking the law? No.

Let's look at a situation and see if you still feel the same way.

A young mother is in a public shopping center with two young children let's say ages 2 and 4. She gets back to her car and lets the two children into the car. She then puts something in the trunk. As she walks around to the driver's side to enter the vehicle a large man physically blocks her path from entering the vehicle. He is angry because she took his parking space earlier that he had been waiting for. The man does nothing except impedes her way into the car. No verbal threat. At that point the mother is threatened and pulls out a gun, a knife, a metal object, some kind of weapon from her purse. Are you telling me in that situation you would completely side with the man and believe the mother was completely in the wrong?

You have stated this over and over again on this thread. The driver was physically blocked from entering his vehicle. At that point the driver was physically threatened and he grabbed the weapon to defend himself. Extreme? Yes. Breaking the law? No.

A young mother is in a public shopping center with two young children let's say ages 2 and 4. She gets back to her car and lets the two children into the car. She then puts something in the trunk. As she walks around to the driver's side to enter the vehicle a large man physically blocks her path from entering the vehicle. He is angry because she took his parking space earlier that he had been waiting for. The man does nothing except impedes her way into the car. No verbal threat. At that point the mother is threatened and pulls out a gun, a knife, a metal object, some kind of weapon from her purse. Are you telling me in that situation you would completely side with the man and believe the mother was completely in the wrong?

A 100 lb white female student is trying to clarify the authority to tow and the process for a drop that she tried to pay. She says she is going to call 911. The tow guy has no patience and is headed for the truck to try to drive off with her vehicle leaving her no way to get home and alone. She puts her forearm in front of the driver side door to block his entry to take off with her vehicle. The tow guy comes at a student with a large metal tow bar shouting threats to use it on them. Are you telling me in that situation you would completely side with the tow operator and that the student was completely in the wrong?

You want to change the story to a completely different scenario and deal in fiction? Look, the only reason to use an unrelated made up scenario is if you cannot justify the actions taken in the actual official report. Can we instead agree to use the facts of the official report?

The facts of the official report have the tow op in a non-violent misunderstanding, picking up a large metal bar and coming at Carter shouting physical threats to him. Those are the facts. That is a crime. The tow op must be charged for his crime as Carter was charged for his.

• Haha
Reactions: Phil's Rug
He's not allowed to pick up a large metal bar and make physical threats to a young man that hasn't touched him. That is a crime. It is called making terroristic threats with a deadly weapon in PA law.
You're wrong as everyone has told you and the cops proved with their decision but keep making up stuff to excuse what Carter did isn't of simply saying despite his actions he shouldn't be suspended. You're blaming the victim for no reason. Everything Carter did was wrong.

A 100 lb white female student is trying to clarify the authority to tow and the process for a drop that she tried to pay. She says she is going to call 911. The tow guy has no patience and is headed for the truck to try to drive off with her vehicle leaving her no way to get home and alone. She puts her forearm in front of the driver side door to block his entry to take off with her vehicle. The tow guy comes at a student with a large metal tow bar shouting threats to use it on them. Are you telling me in that situation you would completely side with the tow operator and that the student was completely in the wrong?

You want to change the story to a completely different scenario and deal in fiction? Look, the only reason to use an unrelated made up scenario is if you cannot justify the actions taken in the actual official report. Can we instead agree to use the facts of the official report?

The facts of the official report have the tow op in a non-violent misunderstanding, picking up a large metal bar and coming at Carter shouting physical threats to him. Those are the facts. That is a crime. The tow op must be charged for his crime as Carter was charged for his.
Same situation. Same reaction by me. This has nothing to do with Carter's race or gender. The girl, like Carter, is wrong. The driver is justified. And kudos to her if she would be strong enough to break his ribs after he responded to her actions but you skipped that.

You're wrong as everyone has told you and the cops proved with their decision but keep making up stuff to excuse what Carter did isn't of simply saying despite his actions he shouldn't be suspended. You're blaming the victim for no reason. Everything Carter did was wrong.
Not 1 person has said Carter should not have been charged and I've typed about a dozen times that I don't advocate his response and that he should be charged.

The problem is that the tow op made a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon to a student and has not been charged for this crime.

• Haha
Reactions: Phil's Rug
Simply google tow truck drivers stealing cars, and you will see articles from all over the US. I seriously doubt the car was being stolen, but it does happen.

I am happy you said Carter should have dialed 911. He should have. Just like the tow truck driver should have when he was prevented from entering his vehicle. I love the SC tow truck drivers don’t play. Well when you raise the temperature in a conflict like this (if he did), why is anyone surprised he has broken ribs. The stupidity ran both ways in this incident.
Stating what someone should or should not have done is different than stating what folks are legally obligated to do (or not do).

Could the tow truck driver have been nicer? Could he have explained things more thoroughly? Could he have waited for the cops? Sure. But he was under no legal obligation to do so.

Carter, on the other hand, manifested his stupidity by doing illegal things. The tow truck driver was well within his rights to defend himself and his right to get into his vehicle and not be "held hostage" through Carter's intimidation, by grabbing a metal bar and telling Carter to move. Was it the "best" move? Perhaps not. But he was fine in doing so.

Last edited:
Not 1 person has said Carter should not have been charged and I've typed about a dozen times that I don't advocate his response and that he should be charged.

The problem is that the tow op made a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon to a student and has not been charged for this crime.
BECAUSE THERE'S NO EFFING CRIME!!!! You can keep making stuff up and asserting it as true ... no one else is going to buy it ... because it's a verifiable lie.

Some big ass dude purposefully blocks me from getting into my vehicle, trying to intimidate me from doing so ... I may go grab a bat from my trunk and "kindly" tell him to get the funk out of the way. Now. And I'm entirely within my rights to do so.

Nor should have been. You're the only person arguing this.

The aggressor in your case is the girl. Nothing changes. The fact she is 100 pounds and the tow truck guy could be 250 pounds does not matter. You don't like it emotionally but the law favors the the tow truck driver. You are getting so caught up in the tow guy brandishing a weapon that you can't see the forest between the trees. Carter made initial threat with his forearm. At that point you have the right to defend yourself. For some reason you are not admitting that blocking someone from entering their car is a threat. That is the hole in your argument. You ignore it like it is standard behavior. You make it seem like Carter did nothing and the tow guy breaks out a weapon. You are also getting tripped up by the extreme nature of the weapon. I think it was a bad judgment call by the tow operator but, what many posters have already told you but you refuse to even hear it or believe it, he was within his rights.

The aggressor in your case is the girl. Nothing changes. The fact she is 100 pounds and the tow truck guy could be 250 pounds does not matter. You don't like it emotionally but the law favors the the tow truck driver. You are getting so caught up in the tow guy brandishing a weapon that you can't see the forest between the trees. Carter made initial threat with his forearm. At that point you have the right to defend yourself. For some reason you are not admitting that blocking someone from entering their car is a threat. That is the hole in your argument. You ignore it like it is standard behavior. You make it seem like Carter did nothing and the tow guy breaks out a weapon. You are also getting tripped up by the extreme nature of the weapon. I think it was a bad judgment call by the tow operator but, what many posters have already told you but you refuse to even hear it or believe it, he was within his rights.
IT was 100% not in defense. Carter had not touched or threatened him. The tow op took a non-violent misunderstanding and incited violence by picking up a large metal bar and threatening to use it on Carter as he approached Carter.

That is a crime and the tow op must be charged. Let him defend that irrational action in court.

IT was 100% not in defense. Carter had not touched or threatened him. The tow op took a non-violent misunderstanding and incited violence by picking up a large metal bar and threatening to use it on Carter as he approached Carter.

That is a crime and the tow op must be charged. Let him defend that irrational action in court.
It was a threat. He blocked his way. Plain and simple. You choose to ignore this key fact so you can perpetuate your flimsy argument.

Whether self-defense is available depends on the circumstances. Was the tow truck driver fearful of an assault? Was that reasonable?

These things are legally relevant, so switching from a big stud football player to a 100-lb woman v. an adult male tow truck driver DOES change the scenario, legally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT