ADVERTISEMENT

PG article on BOT elections

I tweeted Smeltz that he left out the part where Silvis is quoted on Ron Smith's book, and handed out copies at the last meeting

on a semi related note, it is amusing that a UPUA rep (Ryan Valencia) seems to be in full blown "support Dan Cocco by trashing PS4RS" mode on twitter. offering unsubstantiated opinions like "the students support the current admin and hate PS4RS"

I tweeted Smeltz that he left out the part where Silvis is quoted on Ron Smith's book, and handed out copies at the last meeting

on a semi related note, it is amusing that a UPUA rep (Ryan Valencia) seems to be in full blown "support Dan Cocco by trashing PS4RS" mode on twitter. offering unsubstantiated opinions like "the students support the current admin and hate PS4RS"
I'm not saying that they hate PS4RS, but the current students seem perfectly content with the administration.

Perhaps reasonable email discussions with the author might pique his interest and spur him to dig deeper into this whole situation. Perhaps he might be persuaded to talk to Mr. Lubrano for the whole story.

I think it's a case where their priorities are just different than the priorities of the alumni on BWI. They are getting their education and are having a great college experience, so they have no reason to be mad.
Which to me makes it even more strange that a UPUA rep would come out in support of anyone. My guess is the kid is regurgitating whatever he's heard from inside Old Main. If he wants to support Cocco that's up to him but to be credible he needs to offer better logic than "students hate PS4RS". Most students likely have no idea why PS4RS was founded or what its goals are.

Reading the article could lead the uninformed to think that alumni elections actually control the makeup of the board. It does nothing to explain that the majority of the board is not elected by the alumni, but by various factions operating with less transparency.

That would make for an interesting article, wouldn't it?

Reactions: Ski and WeR0206
Reading the article could lead the uninformed to think that alumni elections actually control the makeup of the board. It does nothing to explain that the majority of the board is not elected by the alumni, but by various factions operating with less transparency.

That would make for an interesting article, wouldn't it?

Ryan Bagwell agrees:

“He has a chance to do that. But even if he wins, the alumni trustees are still in the minority. They will still lack the votes to get their agenda accomplished easily,” Mr. Bagwell said. “I don’t think the outcome will mean much to the running of the university as a whole.”

Reactions: simons96
I just think that perhaps a few reasonable emails might make him think about this situation a bit more deeply.

Reactions: Ski
Adam Smeltz and the Post-Gazette have missed the boat regarding their take on the scandal. I wish they would do a little investigative reporting and try to understand what has happened. The scandal is not cooling. On the contrary, the story is starting to heat up.

The real story is a story of injustice. Paterno, Spanier, Curley, and Schultz will eventually be exonerated and the false narratives that permeate this saga will be debunked. The Freeh Report will be exposed for the farce that it is and there will be a lot of questions regarding why this fiasco happened in the first place. Key blame will be assigned to Tom Corbett and the Office of Attorney General (OAG), the old guard PSU Board of Trustees (BOT) members, Mark Emmert/NCAA, and Louis Freeh.

Ryan Bagwell agrees:

“He has a chance to do that. But even if he wins, the alumni trustees are still in the minority. They will still lack the votes to get their agenda accomplished easily,” Mr. Bagwell said. “I don’t think the outcome will mean much to the running of the university as a whole.”

yeah funny how the article doesn't seem to indicate WHO made that change in nomination requirements . . .

Reactions: Ski and Marshall30
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT