ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies 2024

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC

'They're studs': Elite starting pitching propels Phils to 8-2 homestand​

PHILADELPHIA -- This is the start the Phillies envisioned.
They capped off an 8-2 homestand on Sunday afternoon with an 8-2 victory over the White Sox at Citizens Bank Park. The Phillies are 14-8, matching their best start through 22 games since 2018. It’s a nice change for a team that needed until June 29 last season to get to six games over .500. They needed until July 8 to reach that mark in 2022.

The Phillies completed their best homestand of 10 or more games since a 9-2 homestand from June 6-16, 2011, because they got mostly excellent starting pitching. Phillies starters had a 1.51 ERA on the homestand. They pitched six or more innings eight times. They pitched one shutout. They carried one no-hitter into the seventh inning. They carried another into the eighth.

They struck out 75 and walked 20 in 65 2/3 innings.

It's almost mandatory to beat weak teams. Phillies are on a 6 game heater and only picked up one game on ATL and now the Mets are playing better. This is a tough div and will be all season. Enjoy the good times while they last. I read a tweet from some beat writer that this rotation at the same time of the season in 2011 is a full run better in ERA than Lee, Hamels, Doc, Blanton and Oswalt. Now I know the Chisox are a glorified HS team but that's darn good. And like EPC said, we've all seen them lose to teams like this. "It is what it is" as the kids say.

They just swept the White Sox and are on track to win 27 23 games this season for a .143 season average. That will rank 2nd in history and 1st by a wide margin in the Modern Era (1901-present). The White Sox are currently historically bad. All that said, it was a nice series for the Phils with the exception of one pitcher who needs to reconsider his life's direction. Pinto has a career ERA of over 9 and this season his ERA is over 11.

Edit: I meant they on track win 23 games, not 27.

Last edited:
They are a fun team with seemingly good guys. My son was a minor league batboy for a team that Whit Merrifield was on. Quality veteran presence who delivered a key sac bunt in 10th a few nights ago. Young guys just can't seem to do the small things. This team has a bit of everything needed to be right there again.

At least they are distracting me from the 76ers. Coulda had 2....needed to have 1....instead took the zero. Ugh!

I read a tweet from some beat writer that this rotation at the same time of the season in 2011 is a full run better in ERA than Lee, Hamels, Doc, Blanton and Oswalt.
I still believe the 2011 group, collectively, are better than this year’s starting staff. Sanchez is still an unproven commodity and Turnbull has pitched over his head. It should be interesting what they do once T. Walker is eligible to come off the injured list. Ranger has pitched 25 straight scoreless innings and, to me, has surpassed Nola as the second best starter.

Ranger with another gem today against some better competition.
He's been masterful. Doesn't have super velocity but he throws all the pitches -- 4-seam fastball, cutter, change-up, curveball, and sinker-- and throws them for strikes.

At his best, opposing hitters are rarely getting solid contact.

'They're studs': Elite starting pitching propels Phils to 8-2 homestand​

PHILADELPHIA -- This is the start the Phillies envisioned.
They capped off an 8-2 homestand on Sunday afternoon with an 8-2 victory over the White Sox at Citizens Bank Park. The Phillies are 14-8, matching their best start through 22 games since 2018. It’s a nice change for a team that needed until June 29 last season to get to six games over .500. They needed until July 8 to reach that mark in 2022.

The Phillies completed their best homestand of 10 or more games since a 9-2 homestand from June 6-16, 2011, because they got mostly excellent starting pitching. Phillies starters had a 1.51 ERA on the homestand. They pitched six or more innings eight times. They pitched one shutout. They carried one no-hitter into the seventh inning. They carried another into the eighth.

They struck out 75 and walked 20 in 65 2/3 innings.

Phillies on a roll. Still trail the Braves by a game. Braves by the way are 9-2 against Phils, Dbacks, Astros and Rangers despite losing a top 5 pitcher for the season in his second start, their starting catcher on opening day and now Albies with a broken foot. Classic next man up stuff. Should be a great race. Besides none of it matters until October as the Phils demonstrated the last two years.

They just swept the White Sox and are on track to win 27 games this season for a .143 season average. That will rank 2nd in history and 1st by a wide margin in the Modern Era (1901-present). The White Sox are currently historically bad. All that said, it was a nice series for the Phils with the exception of one pitcher who needs to reconsider his life's direction. Pinto has a career ERA of over 9 and this season his ERA is over 11.
It’s the name. He was doomed at birth.

They just swept the White Sox and are on track to win 27 23 games this season for a .143 season average. That will rank 2nd in history and 1st by a wide margin in the Modern Era (1901-present). The White Sox are currently historically bad. All that said, it was a nice series for the Phils with the exception of one pitcher who needs to reconsider his life's direction. Pinto has a career ERA of over 9 and this season his ERA is over 11.

Edit: I meant they on track win 23 games, not 27.
And the White Sox want the City of Chicago to pay for a new stadium for them - good luck with that.

I still believe the 2011 group, collectively, are better than this year’s starting staff.
I agree but it's an early season stat that gives us some hope and is interesting to think about. I worry about Nola and I wasn't delighted they signed him especially for the deal they came up with. But this is the going rate now and you pay it or don't. Middleton did. That said, Nola's been fine thus far.

And the White Sox want the City of Chicago to pay for a new stadium for them - good luck with that.
It’s ridiculous how fast these modern stadiums become “obsolete.” I believe the White Sox stadium was built just prior to Camden Yards. Atlanta and Arlington got new stadiums before the paint was even dry on their “old” ones. And the Coliseum is still being used in Rome.

Reactions: psu00
It’s ridiculous how fast these modern stadiums become “obsolete.” I believe the White Sox stadium was built just prior to Camden Yards. Atlanta and Arlington got new stadiums before the paint was even dry on their “old” ones. And the Coliseum is still being used in Rome.
Yeah but not by any baseball teams I’ll bet!

Phillies drop 2nd straight to Reds despite strong starting performance by Spencer Turnbull who allowed just one run and three hits through 5 innings.

Familiar problem -- bullpen. Seranthony Dominguez gave up 4 earned runs in 2/3 of inning; now has ERA of 9.72.

Phillies drop 2nd straight to Reds despite strong starting performance by Spencer Turnbull who allowed just one run and three hits through 5 innings.

Familiar problem -- bullpen. Seranthony Dominguez gave up 4 earned runs in 2/3 of inning; now has ERA of 9.72.
He needs a trip to Allentown to straighten out. Do it now.

He needs a trip to Allentown to straighten out. Do it now.
He's had a lot of chances. Too many guys on this staff are all over the place with command. He's one of them. Sanchez and Alvarado. If this team comes apart it's going to be because of the bullpen.

Veteran guys like Nola, Wheeler, Ranger...yeah, they'll have a stinker once in awhile but one thing you can count on is they're not going to go out there and walk a bunch of guys and throw the ball off the backstop. The younger guys..not so much. When our bullpen comes in for a guy who is cruising like Turnbull the other night and walks the leadoff man, you can see it coming.

He's had a lot of chances. Too many guys on this staff are all over the place with command. He's one of them. Sanchez and Alvarado. If this team comes apart it's going to be because of the bullpen.

Veteran guys like Nola, Wheeler, Ranger...yeah, they'll have a stinker once in awhile but one thing you can count on is they're not going to go out there and walk a bunch of guys and throw the ball off the backstop. The younger guys..not so much. When our bullpen comes in for a guy who is cruising like Turnbull the other night and walks the leadoff man, you can see it coming.
That Dominguez outing was simply f-ugly. Awful. Like seeing a car crash and then being forced to watch the driver bleed out.....

The other guy who makes me nuts is Soto. When we got him he was an "All-Star"- but it was for a Detroit team devoid of talent- and since every franchise gets a player in the game I guess he was the tallest midget.

Whenever he comes in you can count on full counts and walks. Never a "clean" inning- which one would expect from an All-Star.

Phillies have a ton of talent and seem to be a really good group of guys who have harmony in the dugout. The playful antics of Marsh/Bohm and Stott in post game interviews are refreshing.

How long will the harmony last if the bullpen continues to crap the bed and lose winnable games?

Reactions: WaylonJ and royboy

Multiple walks by Phillies relief pitchers -- my absolute pet peeve about the team.

Suarez and Bohm continue their outstanding play, as Phillies dominate Padres 5-1.

SAN DIEGO -- — Ranger Suárez's scoreless streak ended at 32 innings but he was otherwise brilliant through eight innings and Alec Bohm homered and drove in four runs for the Philadelphia Phillies, who beat the San Diego Padres 5-1 Saturday night to win the weekend series.

“Soft contact, stuff was really good,” Thomson said. “He had it all going. He was getting ahead of hitters and staying ahead of hitters. No walks all night. But I thought he had all his pitches going.

Reactions: jjw165
Tonight another bad outing by Sanchez and worse by Dominguez. Tie game 7th, he goes 3-0 on the leadoff man before giving up two hits, two wild pitches (first one scored TWO runs). The dude can't remain on the team at this point, he's killing them. Sanchez should go to the bullpen, but ideally I don't want him on the team either, he's just too erratic.

Reactions: royboy
Well, this was encouraging.

Phillies win 2-1 over Angels to close out road trip.

Strahm, Kerkering, Alvarado, and Soto each pitched a scoreless inning to finish for starter Wheeler.

Well, this was encouraging.

Phillies win 2-1 over Angels to close out road trip.

Strahm, Kerkering, Alvarado, and Soto each pitched a scoreless inning to finish for starter Wheeler.
The Phillies lineup is impressive. They have a legit player at every position. Starting pitching is likewise very good. Bullpen questionable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT