ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Softball Final from today, Williams Valley 39 GAMP 0

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
Not a misprint. The Public League from District 12 just can't compete in certain sports.

those scores are not that uncommon here in MD. City girls do not play softball for the most part and those who do it is normally a secondary sport. I have seen coaches agree after a couple innings to have their own pitchers pitch to their batters just for the work. Many Baltimore city league games have scores in the 30's. in Anne arundel co. Northeast HS JV beat Annapolis JV 74-2 earlier this year. The JV coach did get reprimanded after the game but not fired.

When I saw it at first I thought it was a typo. It is a disgrace, but having worked there in the past I am not surprised at all. There was only one coach there that knew what it was like to be on the other side of that and when his teams were up big he wouldn't allow the team to score. The worse thing is some of the comments from the parents there.

Part of the problem is the Public League. They are the ugly stepchild to the Catholic League in District 12 and insist they should get an equal share in all sports. That results in each league getting state births, no matter how bad the teams are. Obviously the Pub does fine in hoops, but this nonsense has to stop in some of these other sports. Boyertown beat Olney 18-0 in baseball today.

It was 22-0 after the top half of the first. 10-0 before the first out was recorded.

Then you definitely call off the dogs. That's just unbelievable. I've coached in a lot of situations where we were way better in terms of talent and never allowed a score to get that out of hand.

Then you definitely call off the dogs. That's just unbelievable. I've coached in a lot of situations where we were way better in terms of talent and never allowed a score to get that out of hand.
Do you tell your players to strike out on purpose?

Reactions: PSU Mike
That's a tough one. 10-0 before the first out and 22-0 after the top of the first. What do you the rest of the game? Does everybody just switch hit the rest of the way?

It's insulting to win by that margin, but it's also insulting to just totally mail it in, too. It's not like the team was scoring runs in the 6th inning when they had a double digit lead. This was the top of the first inning.

I don't envy the coach of either team.

Depends on the level of play and the kid. I have sent kids up to bat opposite handed and I have told kids to run in to outs on the bases before. Won a game 33-3 before in baseball with the 9 'worst' players on my team in the line-up. They had the fewest AB's for me on the year so it was hard to tell them to not hit. It was 17-0 after 1 and 28-0 after 2. We didnt steal a single base and tried to not take walks after the first inning, but the other team only had 2 or 3 kids who could even catch the ball and they only had one pitcher who could throw the ball anywhere close to the plate. We Switch hit in the 3rd and then in the 4th I had one of my pitchers throw to my own batters. It was not a game either of us were proud of but unfortunately it was what it was.

That's a tough one. 10-0 before the first out and 22-0 after the top of the first. What do you the rest of the game? Does everybody just switch hit the rest of the way?

It's insulting to win by that margin, but it's also insulting to just totally mail it in, too. It's not like the team was scoring runs in the 6th inning when they had a double digit lead. This was the top of the first inning.

I don't envy the coach of either team.
Agree. Since they scored 22 in the 1st and 17 the remainder of the game, it appears they did call of the dogs.

Reactions: bison13
I know there is a mercy rule in softball, but does the game have to go a certain number of innings before it is called?

I know there is a mercy rule in softball, but does the game have to go a certain number of innings before it is called?

5 innings for PIAA games and you need to be up by 10 runs. It's 20 after 3, 15 after 4 and 10 after 5 for ASA softball.

Actually yes...I start off making sure all my subs are in the game immediately, then I have them bat opposite handed, then if all else fails have them strike out or run into outs. They can never run more than one base if they do get a hit. The game was only 5 innings and it's not that difficult to not score 39 runs in five innings. Obviously it sucks to be in a position to have to do that, but no one learns anything from beating a horrible team by 39 runs so it is not an opportunity to teach your team or get them better.

Reactions: bison13
Yea and they are good at other sports too. My kids went to Howard and ever since they moved to 4A I think Howard and Sherwood meet in the playoffs of almost every sport every year since they are in the same region.
Yes, it's a very sports-oriented school. One thing, they have terrific coaches pretty much across the board, they really do.

Actually yes...I start off making sure all my subs are in the game immediately, then I have them bat opposite handed, then if all else fails have them strike out or run into outs. They can never run more than one base if they do get a hit. The game was only 5 innings and it's not that difficult to not score 39 runs in five innings. Obviously it sucks to be in a position to have to do that, but no one learns anything from beating a horrible team by 39 runs so it is not an opportunity to teach your team or get them better.
I understand playing subs, batting the opposite hand, taking fewer bases but in my opinion making outs on purpose is embarrassing the other team.

5 innings for PIAA games and you need to be up by 10 runs. It's 20 after 3, 15 after 4 and 10 after 5 for ASA softball.
They also have 15 after 3 in PIAA don't they? I umpire baseball and we have 15 after 3, 10 after 5.

I understand playing subs, batting the opposite hand, taking fewer bases but in my opinion making outs on purpose is embarrassing the other team.

The standard coaching move that I've seen in games like this is to have every player that reaches base intentionally leave early, thus creating an automatic out. Some coaches will have each player just bunt or something along those lines, but coaches that let their girls hit will find some way to make outs and get out of there before a game gets that out of control.

Reactions: ewb75
PIAA also shouldn't allow teams outside of District 1 and a handful of District 12 (LaSalle, Prep, Caroll) to compete in both mens and womens lacrosse. Other districts can't compete.

The standard coaching move that I've seen in games like this is to have every player that reaches base intentionally leave early, thus creating an automatic out. Some coaches will have each player just bunt or something along those lines, but coaches that let their girls hit will find some way to make outs and get out of there before a game gets that out of control.
Maybe instead of turning the game into a farce, the umpires should be allowed to call a game that's way out of hand.

PIAA also shouldn't allow teams outside of District 1 and a handful of District 12 (LaSalle, Prep, Caroll) to compete in both mens and womens lacrosse. Other districts can't compete.

District 1 does get 5 out of the 16 slots in the GLAX PIAA tournament. Just because the other teams can't compete doesn't mean other districts shouldn't get a chance. That being said, it's good that there will be 2 classes in GLAX next year. Danville shouldn't be playing in the same county as district 1 teams.

But beating a team like that is bad for the winning team as well...they learn nothing, they could get hurt, get into a bad habit, and basically nothing good comes from it so you want to get it over with as soon as possible. If the other team would have made outs on purpose in this game and the score would have been 15-0 or something like that, would we even be talking about it? So what's more embarrassing to the losing team? Having the other team make outs on purpose or being the topic of message boards and water coolers because you lost 39-0?

I agree. My post was in jest to a post inferring the pub is the ugly step child of District 12 and they insist on getting a fair share. The softball game in question was Class "A" and only the District 12 champion advances to states.

That is correct. First thing we do with our team is substitute the entire bench. If we know the other team is lacking talent wise, we even bring some of our JV girls in to play. Next step is to work on switch hitting and bunting. It's hard to ask a girl that doesn't get playing time often but practices as hard as every one else not to hit the ball. So, when they do get a hit, we move from station to station, with no steal attempts. Finally, if still not helping to get through the game, we basically ask the ump to make certain our girls are not leaving early, and then have them leave early. Our coaching staff does everything possible to not embarrass the other team/girls, and to protect the integrity of our own team. I just see nothing to be gained from it for our team, or the good of the game.

Quick story on one such game: We played a very young, inexperienced team this year where not one of our starters nor normal subs saw the field. After the top of the 2nd we were up 23-0, and we were doing everything not to score. Their pitchers couldn't find the strike zone and they couldn't field any hit ball. We were pitching a SS who was just tossing slow strikes, and they were unable to hit the ball. The other coach walked up to me before their bat in bottom of the 2nd and asked if it was okay if we just called it and then go get pizza as a group. Instead, we asked his girls if we could "practice' with them and we ordered delivery. What was a demoralizing game for a young, inexperienced team turned out okay. Several of our girls worked to show their girls better ways to do certain things, and some friendships were made. In a few years, hopefully his girls will still love the game and be competitive. And, in truth, that was probably a win everyone could learn from.

District 1 does get 5 out of the 16 slots in the GLAX PIAA tournament. Just because the other teams can't compete doesn't mean other districts shouldn't get a chance. That being said, it's good that there will be 2 classes in GLAX next year. Danville shouldn't be playing in the same county as district 1 teams.

I concur that it's good that the PIAA is going to two classes in WLAX. That said, it's not as though D1 is going to disappear from one of the classes. Radnor is playing Conestoga this Saturday for the PIAA Girl's LAX State Championship. Next year, Radnor will be Class AA in WLAX, while 'Stoga will be Class AAA. Going from memory (so I may be off a year or two), but I believe Radnor won PIAAs in 2009 and 2010, and came in 2nd in 2013.

If you exclude Radnor, pretty much all of the power teams in D1 and in D12 will be Class AAA. Penncrest will be helped by the new rule, as they are just a step below 'Stoga, Radnor, Garnet Valley, Harriton and Springfield in the Central League (the last 7 PIAA WLAX Championships have been competitions between two Central League teams), and will be in Class AA. Bishop Shanahan, Archbishop Wood, Upper Merion, Mount St. Joseph Academy, Merion Mercy Academy, and Villa Maria Academy are likely to go from hoping to make District playoffs, or hoping to get through District playoffs, to having good shots at winning States.

CLICK HERE to see which schools are AAA and which are AA in next year's PIAA WLAX.

The game was called after 3 innings. Williams Valley had 31 hits, only 4 of which were not singles. I can imagine there were a lot of errors committed too. What do you tell your players to do if the other team can't field the ball?

I think the real issue here is that PIAA is giving automatic berths to teams (districts) that don't deserve them.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
I agree. My post was in jest to a post inferring the pub is the ugly step child of District 12 and they insist on getting a fair share. The softball game in question was Class "A" and only the District 12 champion advances to states.

Thanks for proving my point. Put D12 into an already weak D1 A bracket and form a subregional. Then that D12 team can bow out gracefully after they get spanked by a school like Bristol. If you don't think the Pub is an ugly stepchild, then look around.

Check out how the PUB wrestlers have done getting stuck in the NE Regional with D11. I would guess 90% of those kids get pinned every match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT