ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA State duals

State Duals AA:

Burgettstown 34 ..... Saucon Valley 42..... Chestnut Ridge 31..... Fort Leboeuf 33
Honesdale 27 ........... United........ 21........... West Perry 27........... Warriors Run 24

Berks Catholic 38 ....... Brookville 32 ......... NGP 63 ................. Faith CA 55
Canton 15 ..................... Burrell 25 .............. Huntington 6 ....... Reynolds 10

State Duals AAA:

Hempfield 34.................Pennridge 32
Central Mountain 36....Cumberland Valley 29
Waynesburg 32.............Shikellamy 27
Beth. Catholic 55...........Council Rock 3
Central Dauphin 59......Lasalle College 12
Nazareth 48.................Deleware Valley 15
Canon Mcmillan 41......Chambersburg 24
Spring Ford .33.......... Cathedral Prep 25

Last edited:
Did you do the matchups on Faith - NDGP or are you just winging it as usual? Also, Blobe is a new addition to the lineup? Do you mean LaPenna?

And also - as predicted - you acknowledged that I explained the transfer rules to you a few weeks ago and then, BANG, states are here and you are comparing the Gill transfer to the FCA "transfers" as if they are remotely close to being the same thing according to PIAA rules.
Thank you all mighty diceman, know it all.

I watched most of the Faith Christian Academy dual with Reynolds. Faith is really good. Reynolds won one match and got a forfeit. The Faith kids rampaged through the rest of Reynold's lineup with some really slick wrestling. Very impressive. Final, 55-10.

State Duals AA:

Burgettstown 34 ..... Saucon Valley 42..... Chestnut Ridge 31..... Fort Leboeuf 33
Honesdale 27 ........... United........ 21........... West Perry 27........... Warriors Run 24

Berks Catholic 38 ....... Brookville 32 ......... NGP 63 ................. Faith CA 55
Canton 15 ..................... Burrell 25 .............. Huntington 6 ....... Reynolds 10

State Duals AAA:

Hempfield 34.................Pennridge 32
Central Mountain 36....Cumberland Valley 29
Waynesburg 32.............Shikellamy 27
Beth. Catholic 55...........Council Rock 3
Central Dauphin 59......Lasalle College 12
Nazareth 48.................Deleware Valley 15
Canon Mcmillan 41......Chambersburg 24
Spring Ford .33.......... Cathedral Prep 25
FCA vs ND will be the highlight of the AA quarters but FBL vs CR will be competitive at most weights. FBL beat them at the Brookville duals but kids are at different weights now. Will be interesting to see how the coaches maneuver kids to get wins based on the first go-around.

AAA looks lopsided in the quarters. Don’t see CM, Beca, Nazareth or the Big Macs losing.

Good info on matchups posted on Pa-wrestling:

Nether Mo Valley, Glendale nor West Branch has had United as an opponent recently.

Also, Juniata Valley went 10-3 two years ago, the first year of the Williamsburg co-op and lost to Bishop Guilfoyle in the district 6 championship game. 5 years ago they went to the state semifinals and lost to Lackawanna Trail.

Again, Williamsburg had 17 total kids on their football roster 2 years ago, 4 of which were freshman. They had less this year.

Edited to add; The United/Blacklick Valley co-op is in the AA classification, as both schools male enrollment tallies move them up.
West Branch had United on its 2022 schedule as well as Blacklick, then had to take both off because of the co op.

Reactions: palmettolion
West Branch had United on its 2022 schedule as well as Blacklick, then had to take both off because of the co op.
Glendale is the school of those three that's going to have to look at a co-op soon. Barely over 20 kids.

Anyways, let's try to get this thread back on track. Huntingdon's lone win/pin against a very dominant Notre Dame Green Pond is from Williamsburg and could make a pretty deep run at states. NDGP certainly looks like an allstar team.

Their match today with Faith is almost enough to make me get a flo membership. Almost

Glendale is the school of those three that's going to have to look at a co-op soon. Barely over 20 kids.

Anyways, let's try to get this thread back on track. Huntingdon's lone win/pin against a very dominant Notre Dame Green Pond is from Williamsburg and could make a pretty deep run at states. NDGP certainly looks like an allstar team.

Their match today with Faith is almost enough to make me get a flo membership. Almost
It's a shame it's a quarter final match. Some common sense should have been used on brackets.

Does Central Dauphin have a shot against Nazareth. CD is wrestling well at the end of the season. Have not followed Nazareth to much but they are always good.

Does Central Dauphin have a shot against Nazareth. CD is wrestling well at the end of the season. Have not followed Nazareth to much but they are always good.

Nazareth starts pretty much every dual with a 12-0 lead with Kinney and Sasso. If Okamoto wrestles today, they’re excellent from 172-285.

Their lightweights are not what they’ve been lately. They’re ok at 107 and 114, Parkins is back, but did not make 121 yesterday, not sure how that will work with Bunting (state 3rd last year) at 127. They’ve got freshmen at 133, 145, and 160 who are tough but not there yet. State medalist at 138 in Doone, who is a tough senior. With their lineup dropped, they’ve been getting pinned consistently at 152. Strategically for Becahi, they might use Parkins at 127 and push everybody back up, though that’s risky size wise.

Reactions: PSUeng and danoftw
It's a shame it's a quarter final match. Some common sense should have been used on brackets.
Yeah, agreed. I have no idea how the PIAA determines seeding, they could just be pulling schools from a hat for all I know. It wouldn't necessarily surprise me that it was done on purpose to send a bit of a message either.

Yeah, agreed. I have no idea how the PIAA determines seeding, they could just be pulling schools from a hat for all I know. It wouldn't necessarily surprise me that it was done on purpose to send a bit of a message either.
Pre-drawn brackets.

PIAA has a library of brackets, and pulls them randomly each year prior to the qualifier tourneys.

I don't understand the 'seeding' complaints I've been seeing online. It is a pre-determined bracket--and the theory is you gotta beat everyone anyhow--so what is the issue? Is it unfortunate that NDGP will lose early--yes. But that is the way the bracket fell this time. Amazing to me the same people that ask for a Single Bracket for Individual States (because you have to beat everyone), are the same ones complaining about seeding brackets!?! Doesn't make much sense.

I watched most of the Faith Christian Academy dual with Reynolds. Faith is really good. Reynolds won one match and got a forfeit. The Faith kids rampaged through the rest of Reynold's lineup with some really slick wrestling. Very impressive. Final, 55-10.
Thats crazy, I cant remember Reynolds EVER getting beat like that, DAMN.

FCA over NDGP 28-26:

107 Berkenstock (NDGP) DEC Davisheiser 7-6
114 Smith (NDGP) FFT
121 Botero (FCA) FALL Feltman 1:00
127 Waltenbaugh (FCA) MD Kelton 11-2
133 Wagner (FCA) DEC McQueen 3-0
139 Vaughn (NDGP) DEC Hontz 4-0
145 Bouzakis (NDGP) DEC Wagner 8-5
152 Stein (FCA) DEC Ramsay 4-2
160 Weidemoyer (FCA) DEC Lapenna 5-1
172 Waters (FCA) FALL Melhem 0:47
189 Garcia (NDGP) TF Singer 21-6 5:30
215 Effendian (FCA) DEC Blobe 2-0
285 Compton (NDGP) FFT

Perry-Rath could very well be a state final. Manville and Shaw in the mix too. Ridiculous bracket. Three sophomores there!
Looks like 3 of them will be on the same side of the bracket, thanks to PA's seeding system.

Assuming they all win out except for Perry vs. Manville in the postseason, the NW Regional champ will get the 1 seed. Rath will get the 2, Shaw the 3. (SE1 and SC1 will be 4-5 in some order -- no returnees placed high enough last year to push for a top 3 seed.)

Since only the regional champs get seeded and state brackets separate regional finalists, the NW runner-up will get put into the bottom half with Rath and Shaw.

NameRegionWL% Pts
2022​
Place PtsTotal Pts
ManvilleNW
24​
2​
92.31​
S1
100​
192.31​
PerryNW
35​
3​
92.11​
S1
100​
192.11​
RathNE
26​
1​
96.3​
S3
90​
186.3​
ShawSW
33​
2​
94.29​
S3
90​
184.29​

Reactions: danoftw
Looks like 3 of them will be on the same side of the bracket, thanks to PA's seeding system.

Assuming they all win out except for Perry vs. Manville in the postseason, the NW Regional champ will get the 1 seed. Rath will get the 2, Shaw the 3. (SE1 and SC1 will be 4-5 in some order -- no returnees placed high enough last year to push for a top 3 seed.)

Since only the regional champs get seeded and state brackets separate regional finalists, the NW runner-up will get put into the bottom half with Rath and Shaw.

NameRegionWL% Pts
2022​
Place PtsTotal Pts
ManvilleNW
24​
2​
92.31​
S1
100​
192.31​
PerryNW
35​
3​
92.11​
S1
100​
192.11​
RathNE
26​
1​
96.3​
S3
90​
186.3​
ShawSW
33​
2​
94.29​
S3
90​
184.29​
Just the dumbest stuff

Kollin Rath steals the day!
Private schools win both titles again.
Faith academy wins and has all underclassmen. Great work by Coach Clymer and the staff. They will be fun to watch over the years.
Bethlehem Catholic put a hurting on our M2 boys beating Perry, Simcox and Walizer. When is the last time those three lost in the same dual.

How about FT Lebeouf taking second and then making the state finals.
❤️man is smiling with his AAA battling it out again for another title. Homegrown, Nazareth Vs Becca. He is pissed NDGP didn’t get it done. He might go on a witch hunt after fca for knocking them off. Just kidding.

Amazing matches at the Giant center. AA is so young and these same teams will mostly be back. I can’t imagIne next year

Reactions: mcpat
Some great wrestling. I enjoyed watching the role players doing what they need to do for the team as much as the headline matches.

One thing - I don't think thst the Giant Center is the right place for this event. There has to be a facility that would give the kids a cool experience without being 95% empty. Much more fun to wrestle in front of a packed house than an empty arena.

PIAA could probably send the top 4 teams to Hawaii for what they are spending on the Giant Center.

Reactions: BrockBronson
Some great wrestling. I enjoyed watching the role players doing what they need to do for the team as much as the headline matches.

One thing - I don't think thst the Giant Center is the right place for this event. There has to be a facility that would give the kids a cool experience without being 95% empty. Much more fun to wrestle in front of a packed house than an empty arena.

PIAA could probably send the top 4 teams to Hawaii for what they are spending on the Giant Center.
Rec Hall?

Could they fit 4 mats at Rec Hall?
Yes. They used to have a really big youth/MS tournament there. They had at least 4 mats. It was a great event. The PSU wrestlers were all working tables and they kids were in awe. My kid had his headgear signed by Zane, Jason, Bo and I think Q.

Could they fit 4 mats at Rec Hall?
Yes, but the issue is probably more about locker room space + warm-up areas for 20 teams per session.

Regardless, it's a moot point because PIAA is bundling the team and individual championships when contracting arenas. And Rec Hall wouldn't exactly be packed to the gills either.

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Yes. They used to have a really big youth/MS tournament there. They had at least 4 mats. It was a great event. The PSU wrestlers were all working tables and they kids were in awe. My kid had his headgear signed by Zane, Jason, Bo and I think Q.
So then the locker rooms must be the bottle neck. So 8 teams wrestling, plus 8 teams waiting. So that's 208 kids (give or take). The locker rooms could handle that. Right ?

What would they need thst they don't have? I'd have to think that it could be worked out. Were B10s going to be at Rec or BJC the other year?
When would B10 have even considered using Rec Hall for a conference championship, in any sport? BJC construction was a condition for conference admission.

Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
Yes, but the issue is probably more about locker room space + warm-up areas for 20 teams per session.

Regardless, it's a moot point because PIAA is bundling the team and individual championships when contracting arenas. And Rec Hall wouldn't exactly be packed to the gills either.
It is a moot point I agree but still would be nice. A facility the size of Lehigh's would be perfect, but that's not nearly central enough. I would think it would be a lot cheaper to hold just the one event at Giant Center even if they are bundling the events now.

Reactions: hlstone
When would B10 have even considered using Rec Hall for a conference championship, in any sport? BJC construction was a condition for conference admission.
That's why I asked the question.

It is a moot point I agree but still would be nice. A facility the size of Lehigh's would be perfect, but that's not nearly central enough. I would think it would be a lot cheaper to hold just the one event at Giant Center even if they are bundling the events now.
If PIAA were to decouple the events and go cheap, then they'd hold state duals at Cumberland Valley -- like they did for football this year.

Reactions: hlstone

Glendale and Moshannon Valley is the word.

The State Dual Championships have never been well attended.

The year BEA won Clarion was packed for the BEA v McGuffy semi-final, the Giant Center not so much and those BEA fans traveled.

Faith academy wins and has all underclassmen. Great work by Coach Clymer and the staff. They will be fun to watch over the years.
Bethlehem Catholic put a hurting on our M2 boys beating Perry, Simcox and Walizer. When is the last time those three lost in the same dual.

❤️man is smiling with his AAA battling it out again for another title. Homegrown, Nazareth Vs Becca. He is pissed NDGP didn’t get it done. He might go on a witch hunt after fca for knocking them off. Just kidding.

Amazing matches at the Giant center. AA is so young and these same teams will mostly be back. I can’t imagIne next year
Maybe Hartman will talk BECA to declare back down to AA to go after Faith.😉 Or maybe Faith decides to go up to AAA.
A little footnote that maybe someone can answer. In 1976 Saucon Valley declared up and won Team Championship at year end Individual States (No Team Duals). Has any other public school done that??

Last edited:

I was thinking the same thing. Rec Hall would be an excellent location

Amazing matches at the Giant center. AA is so young and these same teams will mostly be back. I can’t imagIne next

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT