ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates Gagging Again...

21Guns

Dec 10, 2013
Bellefonte
Every one of them. Cervelli, Mercer, Marte, Walker, all of them choking with RISP.
Lynn has thrown 70 freaking pitches and walked them full twice and everyone swinging
like little leaguers for the fences.

Pathetic.

Every one of them. Cervelli, Mercer, Marte, Walker, all of them choking with RISP.
Lynn has thrown 70 freaking pitches and walked them full twice and everyone swinging

Pathetic.
No other way to put it.

Let's hope Happ can stay focused. The bucs will get some runs, but no runs after those two innings is bad.

Pathetic.

Their approach at the plate is simply awful. They are throwing away above average scoring opportunities every inning. They can't even make a productive out!

Their approach at the plate is simply awful. They are throwing away above average scoring opportunities every inning. They can't even make a productive out!
Polanco may be the stupidest player I've seen

Lynn simply grooves the first one down the middle, they take the strike, then never see another one during their at bats.

Even McCutchen, rolling over on pitches trying to pull them. Awful. Lynn nearing 100 pitches in the bottom of the fifth and they can't sniff a run. Wasting Happ's performance also.

Reactions: wslee1
Even McCutchen, rolling over on pitches trying to pull them. Awful. Lynn nearing 100 pitches in the bottom of the fifth and they can't sniff a run. Wasting Happ's performance also.
Well, McCutchen of late has been doing his Barry Bonds impression of choking during important games.

Pathetic.
So far it is pathetic and incredibly disappointing, but I don't care how bad they look as long as they win this game
Obviously, if they lose and play the Cubs in the WC they deserve whatever fate awaits them. Lets play 9.

I envision Happ making one mistake and it costing him the game as the Pirates strand a boatload of runners.

Walker blows. He may be the best option right this second but I auggest a change of scenery for him after the season is over.

Holy s***! What an unbelievable choke job!!!!! End of regular season. Can you believe that crap?

And therein lies the difference. Pirates leave 14 or so on base, get six walks and don't score. Cards capitalize, game over, season probably over. And I repeat, Polanco is worthless.

To clarify: They saw 170 pitches and didn't score a run. Nearly impossible to do. 0 for 10 with RISP and 14 LOB. All of those, almost impossible to do.

Choke like that, and you deserve Arrieta on Wednesday, which is exactly what they will get.

Holy s***! What an unbelievable choke job!!!!! End of regular season. Can you believe that crap?
Yes, frankly I can. They've choked in every big game they've played in at bat. And what in god's name was Walker doing playing next to first base with Jay at bat? By the way, Jay is .215 this year.

Straight up choke job and no other way to describe it.

Part of me hopes for that to get this season over with. Illogical, I know
I said that 3 weeks ago. Too much of a roller coaster for me.

What is going to suck is Cubs and Reds will add FA to improve. Pirates won't to get over the hump.

What is going to suck is Cubs and Reds will add FA to improve. Pirates won't to get over the hump.
It's downhill from here. Only because the Cubs are young and have way more money to spend. And the Cards are the Cards. Pirates have a modern era tradition of being chokers, see the early 90's, and now 2013, 2014, and soon to be 2015. And not to mention the collapses in 2011 and 2012.

This particular team is very talented, but does not have what it takes above the shoulders to win big games.

Last edited:
Probably the biggest choke job by any team in baseball all year long. Just amazing. Left the bases loaded FOUR TIMES.

FOUR TIMES.

Living in Cincinnati, I can tell you there is very little chance the Reds are big FA spenders this offseason. I think they're headed to a few years of complete rebuild.

Cubs are on the cusp of being incredible. And good for them, they've built this team very smartly, and now they can spend to cap it off. Advantage of being big market.

All that said, the Pirates are only going to get better. They have two arms that will be up next year that are #2 starters with #1 upside, and another that's a solid #3. A Liriano, Cole, Taillon, Glasnow, Happ/Kingham rotation in the 2nd half is awesome, and won't even peak for another couple years. Add to that Marte and Polanco are just kids and only getting better, Cutch still in his prime, Kang will only get better as he's more comfortable, and the eventual arrival of Josh Bell....the Pirates aren't going to peak until 2017-2018.

I think the next 3-5 years the division will be owned by the Cubs and Pirates. I see the Cardinals as the team that drops down (but will still be a wild card contender).

I think the next 3-5 years the division will be owned by the Cubs and Pirates. I see the Cardinals as the team that drops down (but will still be a wild card contender).

That's wishful thinking. Apparently you think Martinez, Wacha, Maness, Rosenthal, Piscotty and Grichuk are going somewhere.

The Cardinals have been the most injured team in baseball this year, yet they still have the best record in baseball -- and it was guys who started out the season in Triple A who made it happen.

That's wishful thinking. Apparently you think Martinez, Wacha, Maness, Rosenthal, Piscotty and Grichuk are going somewhere.

The Cardinals have been the most injured team in baseball this year, yet they still have the best record in baseball -- and it was guys who started out the season in Triple A who made it happen.

I think wainwright, holiday, peralta, molina, etc are heading downhill, and I think some of the guys who carried them this year played over their heads. I'm not a homer on these things, it's just my opinion. Not like I said the Cards will stink, it's just I think 90 wins will be 3rd in the division for years.

I'm afraid these last two games may be a preview of the Wild Card game. Someone is going to have to step up and not shrivel up.

I'm high on the Bucs in the future, as they should be loaded position wise. My worry with them where I think they could fall behind the big spenders is starting pitching. They made it through this year with no injuries to Cole or Liriano. You think that's happening next year? Glasnow should be up at some point but right now he's about a 5-6 inning pitcher. And Taillon hasn't pitched in two years. They should do whatever they can to keep Happ and sign one more.

That game last night showed how much we really miss Mr.Clutch, Jung Ho. He was really instrumental in keeping a lot of big innings going, big hits in clutch situations. especially in all those late comeback wins against the Cards back in July.

Sad to see such a good outing by Happ wasted.

Reactions: wbcincy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT