ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates Mailbag Question about Lonnie White

A

anon_is9z1n0h3zblb

Not posting a link since it's behind a paywall. From friday.

What is the word on Competitive Balance Round B pick Lonnie White Jr.? Is there a deadline by which he needs to sign? — @PENNSTATEMIKE (via Twitter)

Drafted players must sign by Aug. 1, so the clock is ticking on White, a two-sport standout at Malvern Prep who has a football scholarship to play wide receiver at Penn State. Judging by your Twitter handle, Mike, I get your interest.

“He’s in the same position I was,” Chandler said Thursday. “There’s really not a bad choice. I hope he signs (with the Pirates).”

What really matters here is dollars. After signing Chandler for $3 million (slot value was $870,700), the Pirates have about $1.5 million of their draft pool left to use on White and Owen Kellington, a prep pitcher they drafted in the fourth round. If the Pirates want to push it by 5 percent (which is the limit before big penalties kick in), they have about $2.24 million to spend.

Two items, for what they’re worth: Penn State said it will allow White to play baseball as well as football and keep his options open down the line. I’ve also heard that, although the family lives on the other end of the state, White’s mom is a Pirates fan. Tick, tick, tick …

“We’re really excited about the group players we’ve gotten under contract thus far, and (we have) some work to do in the next week or so but we’re certainly optimistic,” assistant general manager Steve Sanders said Thursday.

Reactions: JoePano19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News