ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt game

There are a but handful of other week 3 matchups with any potential for national interest, none of which is a blockbuster:

Bama at South Carolina
Iowa at Iowa State
OK at UCLA
Stanford at UCF
tOSU at IU

And IMHO the "end of an era" storyline gives us at least even odds at being the featured game.

Ok, and what about the people who live outside of Allegheny County and don't really care? I don't think the game fared well last year. At least outside of SW Pa.

OU at UCLA will be a better game - Chip in his second year and Jalen Hurts at OU.

There are a but handful of other week 3 matchups with any potential for national interest, none of which is a blockbuster:

Bama at South Carolina
Iowa at Iowa State
OK at UCLA
Stanford at UCF
tOSU at IU

And IMHO the "end of an era" storyline gives us at least even odds at being the featured game.
Good, I'll have to bring my night vision glasses to the game unless we have stadium lights.

What game in the past, before we had lights, were temporary lights constructed for a night or late game. Tried to google, but han no luck. Was that our very first night game.?

The Beaver Stadium is the first to have its interior included in Google Street View.[8]

Reactions: Zenophile
Probably the 330 to 400 slot. Can’t wait for this one. Have to figure that if we can this will be a thumping. I’m 61 and still hate Pitt more than even Michigan and Notre Dame. Don’t know why.

Good, I'll have to bring my night vision glasses to the game unless we have stadium lights.

What game in the past, before we had lights, were temporary lights constructed for a night or late game. Tried to google, but han no luck. Was that our very first night game.?

The Beaver Stadium is the first to have its interior included in Google Street View.[8]
No lights before 1984: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_c759af0a-71fe-59e3-b116-35ca8bce19f1.html

Seems to me that the '01 Miami game was a milestone (beyond the team being led out of the tunnel by Taliaferro & the introduction of the club seating)

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69

Nebraska, 1982.

Ok, and what about the people who live outside of Allegheny County and don't really care? I don't think the game fared well last year. At least outside of SW Pa.

OU at UCLA will be a better game - Chip in his second year and Jalen Hurts at OU.

I too think OU/UCLA will be good for prime time. PAC schools sometimes feel their lack of exposure on the east coast hurts their rankings. A game in the Rose Bowl would be perfect for an 8:00PM eastern kickoff to make the PAC feel better. Stanford/UCF would also be a good choice given the added intrigue of the Knights' recent success.

As for PSU/Pitt, there may be enough prime time spots to fill that our game will get the nod. The network will market it as the final game between two historical rivals. Our only other strong possibility for a night game will be against Michigan but I have no idea what other games are being played that weekend. And depending upon the network, baseball playoffs may become a factor.

No lights before 1984: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_c759af0a-71fe-59e3-b116-35ca8bce19f1.html

Seems to me that the '01 Miami game was a milestone (beyond the team being led out of the tunnel by Taliaferro & the introduction of the club seating)
Thank you gentlemen, home from work today, Zeno's post started me thinking about our first night game or late game under temp lighting.

Nebraska, 1982.

Yup - I was at that game as a student.

I think both the Nebraska game in '82 and Bama games had temporary lights.
Although neither were technically night games they just started late and ended in the dark.

I always believed that '86 Temple was the first official night game at the Beav.

I think you're right. It was also the kickoff for the 100th year of Penn State football. I remember a nice fireworks display.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT