ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Kickoff Time Set

If they want to do it right, they can bring back the old Pitt unis for this game.

We all saw that coming. So @Pitt_FB is calling it "The Rivalry" but Pitt fans and media are saying it isn't. I wish they'd all get on the same page.

fubgj05c

should be an interesting game. I've got my hotel room, now just need tickets! (booked a room right next to the Heinz the day they moved the Pirate game)

This will be the first road test, first against a P-5 team, first night game, and first meaningful game in the Post-Saquon era. This is Pitt's superbowl, and our "game #2". Pitt's D should be good, but they have no QB and their skill position players are questionable.

I would hope that we win going away. But you've got to play the games and WPa kids are hard-nosed kids.

should be an interesting game. I've got my hotel room, now just need tickets! (booked a room right next to the Heinz the day they moved the Pirate game)

This will be the first road test, first against a P-5 team, first night game, and first meaningful game in the Post-Saquon era. This is Pitt's superbowl, and our "game #2". Pitt's D should be good, but they have no QB and their skill position players are questionable.

I would hope that we win going away. But you've got to play the games and WPa kids are hard-nosed kids.
Everything you just said is true. But PSU is going to smoke them.

Comparing this to 2016 I expect a much different outcome, more drunk, obnoxious fans (due to kick-off time), but the same issue with ticket prices ...
14202702_10202126206433258_5368746128228242216_n.jpg

Reactions: john4psu

Very true. Many here will expect a blowout, and that may happen, but I think it will be a 7 point game going into the 4th quarter. I expect Penn State to win, but this is the most important game on Pitt's schedule and early season games are difficult to predict.

Very true. Many here will expect a blowout, and that may happen, but I think it will be a 7 point game going into the 4th quarter. I expect Penn State to win, but this is the most important game on Pitt's schedule and early season games are difficult to predict.
If we struggle against a team that recruits MAC level talent then it'll be a long year. Hope there are a couple of decent games that night for the casual fan because we'll be up by 35 at half time.

If we struggle against a team that recruits MAC level talent then it'll be a long year. Hope there are a couple of decent games that night for the casual fan because we'll be up by 35 at half time.
i'd be shocked if that is the case. Like it or not, Pitt beat us just two years ago. They also beat Clemson that year. Last year, they beat #2 Miami.

we like to make fun of them but they are a hard-nosed, blue-collar team that has developed some good nfl talent. They had three kids drafted in the first four this spring.

This will be an interesting game for McS, who confessed to being nervous last year. He, as a soph, will remember losing in the first game at Heinz field. He'll have to move it around a little. It will be fun to watch Sanders at RB. We should win, but we can't take Pitt lightly. They'll come to play and punch us in the mouth a couple of times.

A better way of comparing the two rosters is this: how many of our second team guys would be starting for Pitt? If you look at every position, it's pretty telling.

I don't think this game will be close at all.
my coach always used to say "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link". we are very weak up the middle. We've are really thin at DT. But I am more concerned with Linebacker. Pitt exploited our experienced LBers last year with a lot of inside handoffs, shovel passes, jet sweeps and misdirection. That isn't going to get better in 2018. Pitt will play a grind it out, misdirection game on offense. We'd better be prepared.

38 - 14 Penn State wins.

my coach always used to say "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link". we are very weak up the middle. We've are really thin at DT. But I am more concerned with Linebacker. Pitt exploited our experienced LBers last year with a lot of inside handoffs, shovel passes, jet sweeps and misdirection. That isn't going to get better in 2018. Pitt will play a grind it out, misdirection game on offense. We'd better be prepared.
That may be so but last year our defense gave up only one touchdown and recorded a safety. We won 33-14. I agree about not taking anyone lightly but our overall talent is much better than Pitt's and it's not even close.

Reactions: bdur76 and Howie'81

I would hope that W. PA kids are hard-nosed, because PSU's likely starting running back and one of its starting d-backs next season are going to be WPIAL kids.

Also, I'm amazed that many on this board are oblivious to the fact that the W. PA area probably has the biggest contingent of PSU fans outside of Central PA. To a large portion of the general Pittsburgh area who are college football fans, PSU is their college football team, and not Pitt. In fact, with the recent reemergence of PSU, there is as much PSU merchandise in Pittsburgh-area stores like Dick's as Pitt merchandise.

That may be so but last year our defense gave up only one touchdown and recorded a safety. We won 33-14. I agree about not taking anyone lightly but our overall talent is much better than Pitt's and it's not even close.
Agreed...except at LB, which is the place pitt will attack (and is good at it). I don't think it will be a blow out but would be happy to be wrong.

Where is the the P-5 team? We're playing pitt.

i'd be shocked if that is the case. Like it or not, Pitt beat us just two years ago. They also beat Clemson that year. Last year, they beat #2 Miami.

we like to make fun of them but they are a hard-nosed, blue-collar team that has developed some good nfl talent. They had three kids drafted in the first four this spring.

This will be an interesting game for McS, who confessed to being nervous last year. He, as a soph, will remember losing in the first game at Heinz field. He'll have to move it around a little. It will be fun to watch Sanders at RB. We should win, but we can't take Pitt lightly. They'll come to play and punch us in the mouth a couple of times.
Please don't dampen the "blowout dreams" with facts. Can we blow them out? Sure. We can also be in a dogfight catfight in the 4th quarter. As I said, I expect Penn State to win, but Pitt was a 14 point underdog to Miami last year and won by 10.

You could say the same thing about Miami last year. In 2016 Miami beat Pitt by 23. In 2017, the talent levels were not close, but Pitt won by 10.
As always, time will tell.

Also, I'm amazed that many on this board are oblivious to the fact that the W. PA area probably has the biggest contingent of PSU fans outside of Central PA. To a large portion of the general Pittsburgh area who are college football fans, PSU is their college football team, and not Pitt. In fact, with the recent reemergence of PSU, there is as much PSU merchandise in Pittsburgh-area stores like Dick's as Pitt merchandise.
Don't forget about the Philly area. Close to half of the cars I see on my commute have some sort of PSU swag (magnet, license plate, license plate frame, etc). I was in a shop in the Philly airport a couple of weeks ago that had a "college area" and it was 90% PSU, 10% Nova and 0% Temple. They obviously know what sells. ;)

App State App State App State App State

Reactions: nittany dave
You could say the same thing about Miami last year. In 2016 Miami beat Pitt by 23. In 2017, the talent levels were not close, but Pitt won by 10.
As always, time will tell.
@fairgambit yes there are possibilities of upsets, but we're talking probabilities here. Based on talent levels, PSU should win this game 80 to 85% of the time.

Reactions: bdur76

And they have no offensive line or skill position players that would make our 2-deep. I trust our O to score; I’m not counting on a blowout but I cannot see them keeping pace.

@fairgambit yes there are possibilities of upsets, but we're talking probabilities here. Based on talent levels, PSU should win this game 80 to 85% of the time.
Win, yes, and I've said I expect Penn State to win. Blowout? Possible, but I expect a close game. We'll see.

This game could/should set Pitt recruiting back to the stone age. The whole country gets to see them get drilled on national TV and most likely Nardooooosh acts like the butt crack he is all game long. A lot to lose for the Pitters here!

Reactions: nittany dave
Currently: $160-$190 upper stadium; $200 - $240 lower bowl
Thanks...saw that too. I don't expect these Pitt tickets to go for much less than $125 or so. Last year, at the Beav, with 107,000 seats, they didn't go much less than $100 except for singles. I snatched up two at $90 in the first row of the upper deck two days before the game.

Reactions: step.eng69
First away "white out"? That would be sweet. I agree that we are a little thin at DT but Givens and Windsor are solid tandem if they stay healthy. Rotation of Toney, Matos, Simmons, Bucholz, Miller at DE will be much improved from rush standpoint. We lost close games last year because we simply could not get to QB in critical situations. One or two sacks and we are in playoffs. Farmer is fast but not a brute. Bring Parsons off edge..oh man, who is going to stop that? Pitt will be tough but skill and QB experience will win out.

First away "white out"? That would be sweet. I agree that we are a little thin at DT but Givens and Windsor are solid tandem if they stay healthy. Toney, Matos, Simmons, Bucholz, Miller at DE be much improved from rush standpoint. We lost close games last year because we simply could not get to QB in critical situations. One or two sacks and we are in playoffs. Farmer is fast but not a brute. Bring Parsons off edge..oh man, who is going to stop that? Pitt will be tough but skill and QB experience will win out.
yeah...not worried about our pass rush this upcoming season. I am worried about out LBers being hopelessly out of place, especially on misdirection, jet sweeps and shovel passes. We will get a steady diet of these in week two (if not in week 1). Until we stop it, we will see it all season.

Well have Farmer/Brown (senior, junior) (just wanted to say farmer brown) and we will be starting a true fresh who didn't play LB in HS in the middle. Then we have Brooks, Miller and Cooper. Brooks is a Fr. The other two are Jr and Sr but are untested. Any injuries and we've got Johnson, Darien, Faison-Walden, Franklin, and Luketa. Jr. so, fr, fr, fr.

Just not a lot of game experience outside of Farmer Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT