ADVERTISEMENT

Players better "make hay" today, because greens are going to be progressively dramatically faster...

Franklin_Restores_TheTradition

Oct 25, 2015
....this weekend (they were not able to roll the greens and only double-cut them this morning rather than triple-cut). Actually, the entire course will play progressively tougher and faster this weekend with the "rough up" due to the rain late this week, because Oakmont drains extremely fast due to the fact that it is so undulating and the PA sub-soil is clay (weather is supposed to be sunny and high-80s both days this weekend). Still think it's going to be "survival mode" come Sunday. Dustin Johnson started his day with two nice one-putt save for par - maybe a good sign for him.

I don't know if I can stomach the broadcast coverage the next 3 days. Hard to imagine it's worse than last year, but it is. Easily.

Oops, spoke too soon about DJ - two one-put pars at 1 & 2, a routine 2-putt tap-in par at 3. Perfect drive and 2nd shot at the 640 Yard 4th (from back tee box) and then butchered an easy, straightforward Eagle Putt at 4 such that he 3-putted for par. He's still E for the day, but should be a couple under (left a 12 birdie putt right on line but a couple inches sort at 3 and then just butchered the 4th green with a 3-putt par). Unreal.

Geez Rory at +7 in the clubhouse... ouch

That is, as one of the Fox former-player analysts put it, "Shocking" - especially the way he got there. His play looked completely uninspired and he looked totally out-of-it.....and simply happy to be done when he walked off after finishing his round. At one point he was playing "army golf" going back-and-forth between greenside bunkers with just lackluster play from the bunkers. Really uninspiring effort from Rory - don't know how else to put it.

That is, as one of the Fox former-player analysts put it, "Shocking" - especially the way he got there. His play looked completely uninspired and he looked totally out-of-it.....and simply happy to be done when he walked off after finishing his round. At one point he was playing "army golf" going back-and-forth between greenside bunkers with just lackluster play from the bunkers. Really uninspiring effort from Rory - don't know how else to put it.

Day did the same... bunker to bunker green side. Thought I was watching myself when he did that...Day struggling big time as well. Amazing so few players below par and the course was supposed to be receptive and playing much easier with all the rain. Amazing what the scores would be without the rain. Of course I guess 1 can argue they had played the fast course and haven't adjusted yet to the "slower" greens... amazing the greens are rolling a 13 without being rolled today. 14 if they would roll them. Oakmont is such a great course to be playing this hard after that much rain yesterday and last night.

because Oakmont drains extremely fast due to the fact that it is so undulating and the PA sub-soil is clay

that doesn't make much sense.

if the subsoil at Oakmont was clay, then the course would not drain very well. The moisture would be trapped by the clay.

Oakmont has installed subsurface drainage systems on each of the greens. I suspect that has far more to do with the quick draining greens that the composition of the subsoil.

Reactions: Westcoast24
that doesn't make much sense.

if the subsoil at Oakmont was clay, then the course would not drain very well. The moisture would be trapped by the clay.

Oakmont has installed subsurface drainage systems on each of the greens. I suspect that has far more to do with the quick draining greens that the composition of the subsoil.

Nope, runs across the surface and into the "drainage ditches" that run between fairways and are marked as "lateral water hazards" (red paint). Essentially, these are culverts that are dry except when it rains. But the contours of the course and the hardness of the sub-soil make most of the rain "run-off" and it very quickly goes into the culverts and ultimately off the course into the river or tributary streams (the course's North border touches the Allegheny River). It's why you've seen zero standing water or even any areas marked as "casual water" despite seeing over 2" of rain yesterday including last night.

Last edited:
Nope, runs across the surface and into the "drainage ditches" that run between fairways and are marked as "lateral water hazards" (red paint). Essentially, these are culverts that are dry except when it rains. But the contours of the course and the hardness of the sub-soil make most of the rain "run-off" and it very quickly goes into the culverts and ultimately off the course into the river or tributary streams (the course's North border touches the river). It was you have seen zero standing water or even any areas marked as "casual water" despite seeing over 2" of rain yesterday including last night.

I think you meant to say that Oakmont drains so well because all of the rainwater in Pittsburgh floods towards the museums and operas and away from sporting events.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I think you meant to say that Oakmont drains so well because all of the rainwater in Pittsburgh floods towards the museums and operas and away from sporting events.

Like Pitt fans, always running toward the museums and opera.

Reactions: bwifan
Nope, runs across the surface and into the "drainage ditches" that run between fairways and are marked as "lateral water hazards" (red paint). Essentially, these are culverts that are dry except when it rains. But the contours of the course and the hardness of the sub-soil make most of the rain "run-off" and it very quickly goes into the culverts and ultimately off the course into the river or tributary streams (the course's North border touches the river). It's why you've seen zero standing water or even any areas marked as "casual water" despite seeing over 2" of rain yesterday including last night.

Also the reason you're seeing ZERO plugged balls or the USGA invoking clean & drop rule despite torrential rain yesterday morning, yesterday afternoon and yesterday evening.....

Also the reason you're seeing ZERO plugged balls or the USGA invoking clean & drop rule despite torrential rain yesterday morning, yesterday afternoon and yesterday evening.....

I think the course is going to dry out quick. Between the drainage and sun and what really helps as well is the wind. The wind is fairly strong today as well. Tomorrow after a good cutting and rolling those greens are going to be very difficult and fast once again. Let alone what sunday will bring....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT